• Tweets

• No I have not. I will probably do that
    • Based on ECP's previous, what will definitely happen is this. They will send more idiotic letters. After they will send a Letter of Claim, and it is essential that your brother replies at this point to this to show them he would be big trouble in court. Next it is highly likely (but not certain) that they will crawl back under their stone and that will be the end of the matter. The slight worry is that if they do do court it will seem a likely story to a judge that your brother has no connection to the ticket, when it was him who appealed and replied to the Letter of Claim.  Indeed I think it would seem the lot of you were playing games with ECP and with the court by getting unconnected people involved and then later deny they were involved. So be aware there is that slight risk. You talked about "a mess" in your first post, and you weren't wrong. Someone hires a car and gets a ticket.  There is an appeal.  Who appeals, the hirer?  No, the hirer's mate's son.  Obvious! There is an approach for help to a consumer website.  By the hirer?  No, by the hirer's mate's son's brother! This is so damn silly and totally avoidable. Anyway, it seems the decision has been made for your brother to carry the can so whatever consequences will ensue will ensue. 
    • Doc 04-19-2024 11-01-51-merged-compressed.pdf good morning.    9 pages attached.    thank you  UCM
    • Hi I was being supplied my ovo after unknowingly being swapped from SSE.  My issues began when we had a smart meter fitted and our bills almost doubled overnight - we at the time assumed we were just paying not enough until then and just continued to pay the excess bills each. Month.    I would from time to time contact ovo and get faced with a call centre on South Africa of the most rude agents who would just hang up after hours of wait and I could not even get an acknowledgement of an issue with my meter.  At one point we were not in the property for like 4 months and the bills were coming just as high!  It was at this point I was sure something is not right and ovo only care to send bailiffs and started threatening us with a pay as you go meter despite me taking out a 3.5k loan to pay of my outstanding balance.  Around 1600 each on both gas and electricity.  This is where its gets really bad -  the very same day they sent me out a new bill saying the money paid already was only to cover up until the November previous and because its now Feb we owe another 1k.   By that August this had risen to over 3k and I still couldn't get anyone to even acknowledge a fault let alone fix it.    In despair I tried to swap suppliers and to my surprise octopus accepted us because even tho the debt is owed we are trying deal with.  During our time with them the bill was coming only on my wife's name as I was responsible for other bills and she this one - now that we owe them 3k they have magically started adding my name as well as my wife's to the same debt to apply double pressure and its showing on my experiwn report now with a question mark and 2700 showing in grey -  This was my wife's debt which we dispute we owe yet the have now sent me letter with both our names on from oriel and past due credit debt agencies - is this illegal and how can I get them to take my. Name of this and leave on wife's name as its so unfair they give us a both a defualt for wife's debt which we dispute anyway.    In the end about 3 weeks ago I wrote an email to their ceo and rishi sunak and low and behold for the first time in our history with ovo someone who spoke English contacted us and said she will look into our claim.    I explained to her that we feel our meter is faulty and despite me contacting them using WhatsApp email and phone I still have not got anyone to acknowledge a fault even. And that I dispute I Owe anything as my son was in hospital for 3 months and we stayed with him so house was empty and still. They were sending us super sized bills more than when we started at home.  She promised to investigate and a few days later replied that she is sorry for the poor customer service and offered us £50 compensation - however she also. Mentioned that she's attached statements for us confirming the payment for 3k I made was only up until Nov and in Feb despite me pay 3.5k nearly it's correct for them to bill. Me. Another £900 the very same day and she did not agree our meter was faulty and therfore the debt stands and she will not be calling it bcak from past due credit.  During my time with my new supplier post ovo, octopus I requested tehy check my. Meters because I felt they were faulty and over charging me and I got excellent response asking me for further details which I supplied and I got a. Response bcak within days to say my meter was indeed faulty and octopus have now remotely repaired it.   I then contacted the energy ombudsman and explained my situation how she at ovo tried to fob me off and demand I apy money we don't feel we owe due to faulty equipment we reported but ovo had to process or mechanism to deal with it or lodge complaint even without having to cc their ceo and our pm. And now I feel sick to think both husband and wife will get a 6  year default for debt which have a validity of a questionable nature.    I explained all this to the energy ombudsman and they accepted my case and I explained to them that my new supplier found my fault which ovo refueed to accept - I've uploaded the email from new supplier to ombudsman showing we had a fault.    My. Question is is there anything I can upload in defence of my case to ombudsman before they decide outcome ina few weeks    All advice greatly appreciated not only would I like advice on how to clear this debt but also how I can pursue ovo for compensation and deterrence for the future.  Thansk 
  • Recommended Topics

• Our picks

• If you are buying a used car – you need to read this survival guide.
      • 1 reply
    • Hello,

On 15/1/24 booked appointment with Big Motoring World (BMW) to view a mini on 17/1/24 at 8pm at their Enfield dealership.  

Car was dirty and test drive was two circuits of roundabout on entry to the showroom.  Was p/x my car and rushed by sales exec and a manager into buying the mini and a 3yr warranty that night, sale all wrapped up by 10pm.  They strongly advised me taking warranty out on car that age (2017) and confirmed it was honoured at over 500 UK registered garages.

The next day, 18/1/24 noticed amber engine warning light on dashboard , immediately phoned BMW aftercare team to ask for it to be investigated asap at nearest garage to me. After 15 mins on hold was told only their 5 service centres across the UK can deal with car issues with earliest date for inspection in March ! Said I’m not happy with that given what sales team advised or driving car. Told an amber warning light only advisory so to drive with caution and call back when light goes red.

I’m not happy to do this, drive the car or with the after care experience (a sign of further stresses to come) so want a refund and to return the car asap.

Please can you advise what I need to do today to get this done. 

Many thanks 
      • 81 replies
    • Housing Association property flooding. https://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/topic/438641-housing-association-property-flooding/&do=findComment&comment=5124299
      • 161 replies
    • We have finally managed to obtain the transcript of this case.

The judge's reasoning is very useful and will certainly be helpful in any other cases relating to third-party rights where the customer has contracted with the courier company by using a broker.
      This is generally speaking the problem with using PackLink who are domiciled in Spain and very conveniently out of reach of the British justice system.

Frankly I don't think that is any accident.

One of the points that the judge made was that the customers contract with the broker specifically refers to the courier – and it is clear that the courier knows that they are acting for a third party. There is no need to name the third party. They just have to be recognisably part of a class of person – such as a sender or a recipient of the parcel.

Please note that a recent case against UPS failed on exactly the same issue with the judge held that the Contracts (Rights of Third Parties) Act 1999 did not apply.

We will be getting that transcript very soon. We will look at it and we will understand how the judge made such catastrophic mistakes. It was a very poor judgement.
      We will be recommending that people do include this adverse judgement in their bundle so that when they go to county court the judge will see both sides and see the arguments against this adverse judgement.
      Also, we will be to demonstrate to the judge that we are fair-minded and that we don't mind bringing everything to the attention of the judge even if it is against our own interests.
      This is good ethical practice.

It would be very nice if the parcel delivery companies – including EVRi – practised this kind of thing as well.

OT APPROVED, 365MC637, FAROOQ, EVRi, 12.07.23 (BRENT) - J v4.pdf
  • Recommended Topics

Capquest Statutory demand for cap1 card debt

UK26
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 5041 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hi Guys look at this, a copy of letter i receievd

Balance £1285.11

Settlement £771.07

wonder why they offered a lower settlement once i pointed out there credit agreement was unenforceable?

Do you think they know this and trying one last attempt before giving up?

Letter History

12.02.08 Sent letter requesting copy of credit agreement

26.02.08 Default Letter sent to Capquest for not supplying requested documents within time scale

27.02.08 Letter received from Capquest providing an update

24.03.08 Letter received from Capquest providing an update

27.03.08 Letter received from Capquest with Credit Agreement, and Account Statements

12.04.08 I sent letter to Capquest advising the credit agreement is unenforceable due to prescribed terms missing

06.06.08 Letter received from Capquest advising they would serve me with a Statutory Demand

27.08.08 Letter Sent in response to there letter received on 06.06.08

30.08.08 Disputed Balance Sheet – This is a list of all illegal fees added to the account

Capquest-sd.JPG

Edited by UK26
Added more info

• Replies 97
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

You have to give them some credit for having found a signed original agreement. ;)

Not like the unsigned undated rubbish you get from NatWest.

Did you get the first letter recently? It gave you until 19th June to pay!

no, did receive it on time, but moved address in between, not been back on the internet that long.

they may have a signed agreement, but i doubt it is enforceable!!

hints why they are trying to offer a reduced payment, MAYBE

there is a few over limit and missed payment fees of £20.00 per item

in one month

30.09.04 Over Limit Fee £20.00

30.09.04 Late Payment Fee £20.00

04.10.04 Payment Protection £7.80

04.10.04 Interest £20.83

Total Charges £68.63

Min Payment required £68.63

PPI was not indicated on the agreement

Edited by UK26

One looks a bit wierd, what is a "Plastics Upgrade Debt" ????

and other, other what?

i would sure like to find out, guessing looking at the statements maybe they charge £29 and class it as "Plastics Upgrade Debt" for increasing the credit limit

The outstanding balance consists of approximately £656.79 unlawful / unfair charges, which are over half the balance (£1285.11) claimed owed to the defendant. "Capqust Debt Recovery Limited"

PPI was not indicated it was accepted yet they have charged me for it

Due to the charges and also PI

there interest charged is also incorrect

here is a draft letter i will be giving my Solicitor on Monday ready for my meeting with them on Tuesday

Any thoughts Guys???

RE: Appointment Tuesday 2nd September 2008 – 15:00 PM

Instruction

I would like to appoint ****************** as acting solicitors on my behalf working a disputed credit card account, formally with Capital One Bank.

The account was allegedly sold to Capquest Debt Recovery Limited.

Brief Case Outline

I received a phone call from CaqQuest (The Defendant) on or around 31st January 2008 regarding an outstanding balance owed to them in connection to a debt with Capital One Bank. Hereon referred to as the credit card account.

On 12th February 2008, I sent the defendant a letter requesting pursuit to Section 78 of the credit consumer act 1974, a true copy of the executed credit agreement.

This request also required the defendant to supply a copy of the deed of assignment and statement of account.

On 26th February 2008, I served the defendant with a default notice pursuit to section 78(6) of the consumer credit act 1974 for failing to provide upon request made on 12th February 2008 for copies of documentation.

On 27th February 2008, I received acknowledgement from the defendant confirming they will provide the requested documentation.

Again on 24th March 2008 informing me they have contacted Capital One Bank Limited to obtain the information.

On 27th March 2008, I received a letter from the defendant supplying a copy of the credit agreement, and bank statements.

On 12th April 2008, I sent the defendant a letter regarding the credit agreement received on 27th March 2008 was not compliant with the consumer credit act 1974 due to not containing the prescribed terms, outlined within this legislation and furthermore the statements indicated a large number of unlawful and unfair penalty charges.

On 6th June 2008, I received a letter from the defendant informing me they intend to issue a statutory demand and later a bankruptcy petition.

On 27th August 2008, I sent the defendant a letter reminding them of previous communications that they where advised to cease processing data in connection with this account pursuit to section 10 of the data protection act 1998.

I also informed them that if they do not reply by 3rd September then legal action would commence against the defendant.

Concerns

1. The defendant has not supplied a sale of notice or deed of assignment nor have I received this from Capital One Bank to confirm the same.

2. The credit agreement does not meet the minimum requirements set out under the

Prescribed terms for the purposes of sections 61(1(0) and 127(3) of the consumer credit act 1974

The Prescribed Terms are

(1) Repayments

(A) A Term stating how the debtor is to discharge his obligations under the agreement to make the repayments, which may be expressed by reference to a combination of any of the following-

(B) Number of repayments;

© Amount of repayments;

(D) Frequency and timing of repayments;

(E) Dates of repayments;

(F) The manner in which any of the above may be determined; or in any other way, and any power of the creditor to vary what is payable.

(2) Rate of interest

(A) A term stating the rate of interest to be applied to the credit issued under the agreement.

(3) Credit limit

this may be a term or the manner in which it will be determined or that there is no credit limit

The outstanding balance consists of approximately £656.79 unlawful / unfair charges, which are over half the balance (£1285.11) claimed owed to the defendant.

3. The defendant has also supplied a credit reference agency, hereon known as Experian Limited (Defendant 2) with inaccurate information.

I have informed Experian Limited of this information but they refused to change / amend the entry as there client confirmed it is accurate.

[Need to insert the

Legislation which makes Experian (credit reference agency) responsible for having incorrect info and refusing to alter it solely based on the fact CaqQuest confirmed its correct]

Conclusion

• Capquest Debt Recovery Limited should NOT be enforcing the agreement or chasing for payments on a disputed account.

• The incorrect data supplied to the credit reference agency Experian Limited should be removed despite previous requests to both CaqQuest and Experian the later as been declined.

Action to be taken

What ever is required to secure the desired outcome. As per the conclusion above and to comply with section 10 of the data protection act 1998

Yours sincerely

Edited by UK26

Can anyone help with drafting up a N1 POC based on the above info??

would like the default removed, and Capquest prevented from taking any action and also comply with s.10 Data Protection Act 1998 request

not sure the best way forward

issue N1 for reclaim of charges- whereby reducing the amount owed

which would reduce the debt by upto 51%

then if they continue to chase payment for the remaining balance for the other 49% defend and say the agreement is not enforceable

the outcome i want, is default removed from credit agencys

Edited by UK26

Hi, IMO you should take a breath and consider matters more carefully.

I doubt they will issue an SD as it will cost them quite a lot, also if you counterclaim for the charges the debt is reduced almost below the amount they can legally petition you for.

There are plenty of other points to consider such as: Default notice: Copy of and proof of postng etc..do a bit of research you will find it all on CAG.

Good Luck..

Donate to keep this site open

Any help or advice is offered as just that, help and advice without any liability. If in doubt consult a legal expert or CAB.

Make Cash Flow Forecast

Ok

Lets assume they don’t follow there threat and issue the SD

There is still the problem that the default registered with credit reference agencies and its clear its incorrect information, however I cannot get anyone to listen and remove it, both CRA and CaqQuest refuse to remove / update the default.

I can’t stand around and wait for another 4 years for the default to expire, where I live, its only a 2 year agreement, and I then have to move out, but all the landlords refuse to give me a place due to adverse credit

So far you have not made a claim for the charges right? if not then, the amount they say you owe is what you owe until, you win your charges claim plus say statutory interest 8% and or dispute the debt in court?

Once read a thread on CAG where a person had cleared their debts, had all the defaults and adverse credit removed from their file all except for Vodafone. They Vodafone defended the right to keep it on file for 6 years regardless as per the contract. Beware mobile phone contracts can effect your credit rating.

Any help or advice is offered as just that, help and advice without any liability. If in doubt consult a legal expert or CAB.

Make Cash Flow Forecast

ok, so do you suggest, i take court action to first get back the charges, whereby if i win, the debt would be lower then they can legally issue a SD for?

then when they hit me with the remaining balance, the defence would then be there Credit agreement is not enforceable for ........... reasons?

Personally I would pursue the claim for charges, and hope they don't pay so you can issue court proceedings, they will then defend and counterclaim, in your reply to the defence and counterclaim you ask for the agreement to be declared unenforceable and for the default to be removed as at the very least it's inaccurate.

RMW

"If you want my parking space, please take my disability" Common car park sign in France.

Well, that would bring the value of the debt down by half at least, I'm 99.9% certain they won't issue an SD due to filing costs etc.

I Think you will need a court order to remove it from the CRA.

The other option is: Let them take you to court and if you are sure you can dispute the debt on whatever grounds, no CCA etc, unlawful charges then, if you win you can ask the judge to order them to remove it from the CRA.

If it says in their standard CCA they will register with a CRA as it does in Vodafone, then if the CCA is none existent, they must remove it, I would have thought anyways.,

As far as effecting your credit for house rent, you can obtain a copy of your file from the CRA and show it to a letting agent stating that, this was a dispute or it is still in dispute. Not such a big problem in the eyes of a reasonable person.

Make Cash Flow Forecast

Right, here is what i intend to send

CapQuest LBA

LETTER BEFORE ACTION

CARD/ACCOUNT NUMBER: ***************

Account Balance: £1285.11

I now understand that the regime of fees which you have been applying to my account in relation to late fees and over limit charges, are unlawful at Common Law, Statute and recent Consumer regulations.

I would draw your attention to the terms of the contract, which you agreed to at the time at opening of the account. It is an implied term of that contract, you would conduct yourselves lawfully, and in a manner, which complies with UK law.

You sent me a copy of a non-executed credit agreement on 27/03/2008 with copies of statement of account. I have noticed you have been charging payment protection insurance, yet this is not mentioned on the credit agreement as being accepted. Therefore, I also demand the refund of £63.73 to the account has payment protection insurance has clearly been added in error.

I am frankly shocked that you have operated my account in this way as I had always reposed confidence in your integrity and expertise as my fiduciary.

I calculate that you have taken £436.21 plus £149.21, which you have charged me in interest for the sums, which you have taken. Including payment protection insurance Total £649.15

Additionally, you have entered a default notice against my credit record. This default occurred merely in respect of unlawful charges levied by you, or was the result of impecuniosity’s caused directly by the taking by you of penalty charges which you had applied unlawfully to my account.

In addition to full payment of the sum mentioned above, I require that you remove the default entry from the register. Please note that mere correction or amendment to the entry will not be acceptable.

I require repayment in full of this money and removal of the default notice. If you do not comply fully within 14 days, I shall begin a claim against you for the full amount plus interest, plus my costs, without further notice in Peterborough County Court.

Yours sincerely

Email I might send to Expierian and Information Commissioners Office

Formal Notice of Complaint

- All parties to acknowledge -

Dear MR Paul Lever C/o of Experian

CC: Information Commissioner’s Office

Re: Experian Limited maintaining incorrect data

In respect of entry C8 on my credit report

ENTRY NUMBER: C8

Name: MR ***************

Address: ***************************

Date of birth: *************************

Company name: CAPQUEST (FORMERLY FTC)

Account type: Bank

Started: 14/01/2004

Default Balance : £ 1,285

I have now shown you 100% evidently proof that in respect of this default, the information you hold, is in fact incorrect

I attach to this email

CaqQuest LBA Letter - advising them again of this matter

I also attach a Disputed Balance Sheet listing the incorrect data

In addition, just so you know, my allegations are 100% true; I hereby attach one page from an original statement of account.

I have now proved beyond responsible doubt that the default you hold relating to this account is incorrect.

I know you will now contact CaqQuest about this, and they will only say the information is correct, but ask your self this, are you 100% satisfied that the entry is correct? If not, here is a copy of the non-executed credit agreement herein attached to this email.

Now check this agreement, look for Payment Protection, can you see it??? NOPE. I know this credit agreement is hard to read, but you can see there is no tick boxes or any mention at all that PPI was taken.

What other proof do you require??????

The defaulted balance contains disputed fees, indicated by the attached files.

In my opinion, I have indicated with evidence this default is not correct, Paul, I ask you for the last time, look at this, follow the I.C.O guidelines, and uphold the law.

Edited by UK26

IMO you should send the prelim letter followed by the LBA, you need to follow the protocol. Attach a schedule of the charges with your prelim. In the library there are updated letters which refer to the test case.

I notice you mention PPI this will take your claim over the amount they say you owe right? I'm not sure if this is not a separate issue to bank charges, perhaps a wiser one can comment on this.

Make Cash Flow Forecast

Yes, but was it a formal request for repayment or a casual letter with no figures, I know some claims sites even have letters with no amount of claim in them but, better follow the well tried and tested route though, it is entirely up to you.

I don't know if the PPI can be claimed at the same time like a combined claim, sorry.

Make Cash Flow Forecast