• Tweets

• I've just taken another look through the stuff they sent me in response to the CPR request, the notice of assignment isn't the original , it's on a plain sheet of non letterhead paper, in fact it could have easily been typed up by Overdales, or anybody really.  On the other side of the paper are standard Lowell terms and conditions that are only half on the page. Should this be part of my defence?
    • I agree with my site team colleague above. We need to know all the facts including which company you are dealing with and an explanation of the problem. It really is too difficult to start giving speculative advice on some speculative problem that you have laid out as a generalised scenario
    • Moorcroft are sending a rep round to my house this week. What is the best way to handle this? Ignore and not answer the door or engage with them? I haven't acknowledged anything since I started on this journey and defaulted on my cards in December 2022
    • Very sorry but with the best will in the world, I don't think we can at all understand what the situation is here. Please can you try rewriting this on a word processor and maybe send a copy of what you have written to a friend and working out together so that the story is complete but as brief as possible. Maybe a list of dates as well. If you can do that and then repost your story we can have a look
    • Hi, I am a local authority tenant and was in a 3 bed house. At the end of last year, my last child moved out and so did my spouse as we are now going through a divorce which meant that I was in the house alone and decided that I needed to downsize not only for myself but to offer the property to a family that needed it. I registered on the local authority housing bidding site as i was asked to do and I was accepted and given a priority banding as I was downsizing and they were desperate for my house. I have been extremely lucky and after about 6 weeks was accepted for a new build from a housing association via the housing gateway. I viewed the property 2 weeks ago and had to sign the tenancy last week when they were doing bulk signups for the houses and that is the day I moved. In between viewing and sign up, I contacted my current local authority landlord and asked how I give notice as I had been accepted for a property I had bid on and was moving.  The lady told me how to do it online and then said that I needed to give a full weeks notice which wasnt a problem as I had enough time.  (I was also told a weeks notice was what i would need to give by another staff member about a month ago when I phoned up for another housing related question.  I dont have any of this in writing.) I have now moved, handed back the keys and I am now being told that I need to give 4 weeks notice which I cannot afford. I hav e spoken to the council again explaining that I was told a week and that to be honest, if I knew they were going to charge me 4 weeks I would not have been able to move and would have stayed in the other house.  I thought I was doing the right thing. They said that calls are recorded and they asked me when I called in and was told a week and they would listen to the telephone conversation and if it was correct what I was told, they would see what they could do to reduce the notice period. They have now emailed me back and said that they have listened to the conversation and the lady said 4 weeks notice and I am liable for 4 weeks rent.  Now I may well of misheard her when I thought she said a full weeks notice she may have said 4 weeks notice but I am sure she said a full weeks notice and i was told a week by another member of staff a few weeks ago. I have emailed her back and said that I may of misheard but I would like to listen to the phone recording myself.  As yet they havent responded. I think its unreasonable for them to make me give 4 weeks when I had to sign the new tenancy with little notice or loose the property.  And it was all done through their gateway, and they will have a tenant in there pretty much straight away getting rent from them. I am on a very low income, I am on my own, I have serious medical issues and I am really getting myself stressed out over this. Any advice would be so appreciated.  Can I insist they let me listed to the recording? RH  
  • Recommended Topics

• Our picks

• If you are buying a used car – you need to read this survival guide.
      • 1 reply
    • Hello,

On 15/1/24 booked appointment with Big Motoring World (BMW) to view a mini on 17/1/24 at 8pm at their Enfield dealership.  

Car was dirty and test drive was two circuits of roundabout on entry to the showroom.  Was p/x my car and rushed by sales exec and a manager into buying the mini and a 3yr warranty that night, sale all wrapped up by 10pm.  They strongly advised me taking warranty out on car that age (2017) and confirmed it was honoured at over 500 UK registered garages.

The next day, 18/1/24 noticed amber engine warning light on dashboard , immediately phoned BMW aftercare team to ask for it to be investigated asap at nearest garage to me. After 15 mins on hold was told only their 5 service centres across the UK can deal with car issues with earliest date for inspection in March ! Said I’m not happy with that given what sales team advised or driving car. Told an amber warning light only advisory so to drive with caution and call back when light goes red.

I’m not happy to do this, drive the car or with the after care experience (a sign of further stresses to come) so want a refund and to return the car asap.

Please can you advise what I need to do today to get this done. 

Many thanks 
      • 81 replies
    • Housing Association property flooding. https://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/topic/438641-housing-association-property-flooding/&do=findComment&comment=5124299
      • 161 replies
    • We have finally managed to obtain the transcript of this case.

The judge's reasoning is very useful and will certainly be helpful in any other cases relating to third-party rights where the customer has contracted with the courier company by using a broker.
      This is generally speaking the problem with using PackLink who are domiciled in Spain and very conveniently out of reach of the British justice system.

Frankly I don't think that is any accident.

One of the points that the judge made was that the customers contract with the broker specifically refers to the courier – and it is clear that the courier knows that they are acting for a third party. There is no need to name the third party. They just have to be recognisably part of a class of person – such as a sender or a recipient of the parcel.

Please note that a recent case against UPS failed on exactly the same issue with the judge held that the Contracts (Rights of Third Parties) Act 1999 did not apply.

We will be getting that transcript very soon. We will look at it and we will understand how the judge made such catastrophic mistakes. It was a very poor judgement.
      We will be recommending that people do include this adverse judgement in their bundle so that when they go to county court the judge will see both sides and see the arguments against this adverse judgement.
      Also, we will be to demonstrate to the judge that we are fair-minded and that we don't mind bringing everything to the attention of the judge even if it is against our own interests.
      This is good ethical practice.

It would be very nice if the parcel delivery companies – including EVRi – practised this kind of thing as well.

OT APPROVED, 365MC637, FAROOQ, EVRi, 12.07.23 (BRENT) - J v4.pdf
  • Recommended Topics

Court claim from Lloyds TSB - Advice needed please.

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 5439 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Looking at a previous thread, it seems standard disclosure just eans a list of things I intend to rely on in court. Is that right? :confused:

Is there a form to use for this or is it just a case of me writing it out and sending it in the post? It has to be in by end of Wednesday. :(

• Replies 379
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Looking at a previous thread, it seems standard disclosure just eans a list of things I intend to rely on in court. Is that right? :confused:

Is there a form to use for this or is it just a case of me writing it out and sending it in the post? It has to be in by end of Wednesday. :(

http://www.hmcourts-service.gov.uk/courtfinder/forms/n265_1005.pdf

there is the form you need

Right, I'm filling in the Standard Disclosure Form. I need a little advice.

When Lloyds TSB responded to my CCA request last year, they sent a really bad photocopy of my credit card application form. You can barely make out it's my name actually. The alleged T&C on the back of the form, which they also sent a copy of, are completely unreadable. Their letter accompanying these actually refers to "a photocopy of your credit card application form", and makes no pretence of it fulfilling the requirements of the CCA.

So I guess that puts me in a good position.

What I'm wondering though, is should I include the other photocopy they sent me, which was a copy of someone else's application, featuring all their personal details (surely a breach of the Data Protection Act)? I would love to throw that in just to show how sloppy they are, but I didn't mention that in my defence. Is it worth including in my disclosure, or is it inadmissible?

OK, that's not all. I still am a bit (a lot) scared at the prospect of the Fast Track procedure, as the notes for it suggest it might be beyond the ability of an ordinary gal like me :eek:

Should I get an 'expert'? A what was it? 'Lay counsellor' or somesuch? I know we're not there yet but I am trying to get my head into a place it's not used to being.

I keep telling myself that although I admitted in my defence to having a card with LTSB, the agreeent is not enforceable, as they haven't come up with the goods, a la a valid credit agreement.

They did serve me with a default notice (three, in fact!) but then again, they assigned it to a DCA without any notice of assignemnt, and whilst it was still in dispute. :-D

Oh, I'm rambling here. I just want to finish this list. I need to list the case law that applies too. I'm cribbing off other threads but if anyone can save me some time by suggesting some appropriate case law (I still have tea to cook for hungry mouths). :(

I should have done this last week but life has been on top of me. 8)

I've compiled a Disclosure list using a template that I found on another thread. I've included on it anything I thought might be useful. The official N625(?) form didn't have enough room so I didn't use it. Also it was a lot about what I hadn't searched for, which was a bit confusing. Hope the courts areOk with me not using it, but I need to get the list to the Claimant by Wednesday, so it's being posted guaranteed delivery, tomorrow morning, so they'll get it Wednesday morning.

I'd still be your friend forever if you could answer the questions in my last posting though :D.

I guess I'll get a list from them? What if I don't? Can I complain to the court?;)

Anyway I'm so tired. I must go to bed. Night night. :)

Well, I sent off a list of all the documents , case law etc I think I may need. All but the kitchen sink.

I sent it recorded delivery to their solicitors, Sechiari Clark & Mitchell.

The deadline was yesterday so they'll have received mine yesterday morning. :p

However, I haven't had anything from them, not yesterday and not (so far) today either. If they fail to comply with the deadline for Disclosure (as they have), how heavily does that weigh against them? :???:

What if they don't disclose at all? :-|

Is there anything I can do to help my case against LTSB, as they have now missed their deadline for Disclosure? :rolleyes:

As this date was set by the court, should I inform the court? My case, incidentally, is at

http://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/forum/legal-issues/157069-court-claim-lloyds-tsb.html

All details are on there. :oops:

Well would you believe it! I was all ready to send off my letter to the Court, to tell them LTSB failed to submit a disclosure list, when one popped through the door. This was on Friday, ie. two days after the deadline. :mad:

Is it still worthwhile lodging a complaint about the failure to comply with the order?

The list contains a lot of stuff they object to my seeing, mainly internal correspondence, it seems like. :-|

What I could do with is some advice on is whether it is now a good idea to revise my defence, to specify the unenforcability of the debt, based on the lack of a true copy of a properly executed agreement (see poor photocopy, posted earlier in this thread).

My original defence (again, posted earlier in the thread) merely said that LTSB had failed to supply the documents requested. I didn't say that the documents which they did supply were inadequate.:-|

Deadline for response to the disclosure list is 24th December.

EDIT: One thing the disclosure list doesn't seem to mention is a signed credit agreement. It refers to a copy of the application form! :D

Edited by joan_of_arc

Well, they were late supplying their Disclosure List, but they've been lightning fast in demanding copies of almost every document on my list! Some of them they should have, as they came from them. :confused:

I'd almost think they were just trying to wind me up by making me fork out for photocopying!:mad:

Ah well, I'll have to reciprocate.

Is it possible at this stage to amend my defence?

Edited by joan_of_arc

I presume the AQ stage has passed as you are on to disclosure (you can do it then). Otherwise, you can make an application using a form N244 which will cost you £75.

joan asked about them asking for copies of docs - unfortuenately, they can do that. If it is on your list, they can ask for it even if they sent it in the first place.

Hi steven, thanks for the reply.

Yes, I am at the disclosure stage. Well, past it actually, as we both have the other's list. If it's going to cost £75 to make a change to my defence, I won't bother. My argument is that they didn't provide a true copy of a properly executed agreement, so the debt is unenforceable. My defence (posted earlier in the thread) could have been more specific about this point, rather than saying merely that they had failed to provide documents as requested.

Be careful with the terminology - I expect they have provided a 'true' copy as defined in various Acts and cases. What they have not provided is a copy of an executable agreement. In court, they are obliged to provide the original (it says so in paragraph 7.3 of CPR Practice Direction 16). Under CPR 31 you have th eright tto inspect the original (in fact you can inspect all the documents they have)

Be careful with the terminology - I expect they have provided a 'true' copy as defined in various Acts and cases. What they have not provided is a copy of an executable agreement. In court, they are obliged to provide the original (it says so in paragraph 7.3 of CPR Practice Direction 16). Under CPR 31 you have th eright tto inspect the original (in fact you can inspect all the documents they have)

They have stated that they do not possess the original. All they have is a microfiched copy of the application form. They sent me that, with some T&C, bot illegible, and also someone else's application form, with all their personal details on.

Incidentally, they failed to respond to my disclosure list in time. The date set by the court passed by two days before I got a demand from them for copies of my documents. I did send them as requested but did I have to, as they had failed to comply with the directions of the court?

If they don't have an original then, in theory, they should be stuffed. Unfortunately, courts sometimes miss this ovious fact.

At every stage from now on, underline the fact that they must produce a copy of the original agreement (as per CPR PD quoted above) and that the copy they have sent is not enforceable under s65 of the CCA 1974 by virtue of s127(3). Include the case law fomr a pt2537 defence on the necessity of producing an enforceable agreement:

The requirement for the executed agreement to be brought before the court

10. Under the Consumer Credit Act 1974 there are certain conditions laid down by parliament which must be complied with if such agreement is to be enforced by the courts

11. Firstly, the agreement must contain certain Prescribed terms under regulations made by the Secretary of State under section 60(1) CCA 1974, the regulations referred to are the Consumer Credit (Agreements) Regulations 1983 (SI 1983/1553)

12. The prescribed terms referred to are contained in schedule 6 column 2 of the Consumer Credit (Agreements) Regulations 1983 (SI 1983/1553) and are inter alia: - A term stating the credit limit or the manner in which it will be determined or that there is no credit limit, A term stating the rate of any interest on the credit to be provided under the agreement and A term stating how the debtor is to discharge his obligations under the agreement to make the repayments, which may be expressed by reference to a combination of any of the following--

1. Number of repayments;

2. Amount of repayments;

3. Frequency and timing of repayments;

4. Dates of repayments;

5. The manner in which any of the above may be determined; or in any other way, and any power of the creditor to vary what is payable

13. It is submitted that if the credit agreement supplied falls foul of the Consumer Credit (Agreements) Regulations 1983 (SI 1983/1553) in so far that the prescribed terms are not contained within the agreement then the court is precluded from enforcing the agreement. The prescribed terms must be with the agreement for it to be compliant with section 60(1) Consumer Credit Act 1974. In addition there is case law from the Court of Appeal which confirms the Prescribed terms must be contained within the body of the agreement and not in a separate document

14. I refer to the judgment of TUCKEY LJ in the case of Wilson and another v Hurstanger Ltd [2007] EWCA Civ 299

"[11] Schedule 1 to the 1983 Regulations sets out the "information to be contained in documents embodying regulated

consumer credit agreements". Some of this information mirrors the terms prescribed by Sch 6, but some does not. Contrasting

the provisions of the two schedules the Judge said:

"33 In my judgment the objective of Schedule 6 is to ensure that, as an inflexible condition of enforceability, certain basic minimum terms are included which the parties (with the benefit of legal advice if necessary) and/or the court can identify within the four corners of the agreement. Those minimum provisions combined with the requirement under s 61 that all the terms should be in a single document, and backed up by the provisions of section 127(3), ensure that these core terms are expressly set out in the agreement itself: they cannot be orally agreed; they cannot be found in another document; they cannot be implied; and above all they cannot be in the slightest mis-stated. As a matter of policy, the lender is denied any room for manoeuvre in respect of them. On the other hand, they are basic provisions, and the only question for the court is whether they are, on a true construction, included in the agreement. More detailed requirements, which

are designed to ensure that the debtor is made aware, so far as possible, of specified information (including information contained in the minimum terms) are to be found in Schedule 1."

15. If the agreement does not contain these terms in the prescribed manner it does not comply with section 60(1) CCA 1974, the consequences of which means it is improperly executed and only enforceable by court order

16. Notwithstanding point 19, The agreement must be signed in the prescribed manner to comply with s61 (1) CCA 1974, if the agreement is not signed by debtor or creditor it is also improperly executed and again only enforceable by court order

17. Therefore the claimant must provide a copy of the agreement compliant with the regulations as laid out in points 14 to 20 of this defence to have any right of enforcement. I note that the claimant should also have provided this documentation prior to bringing this action and it is requested that the claimants case be dismissed until such time as they comply with the S78(1) request made on xx/xx/2007 as laid out above.

18. Further, under CPR Practice Direction 16 paragraph 7.3 an original of the agreement must be produced in court. There is no provision that an agreement containing the prescribed terms may have existed or that the balance of probabilities are that such an agreement existed.

The courts power of enforcement

19. The courts powers of enforcement where agreements are improperly executed by way of section 65 CCA 1974 are themselves subject to certain qualifying factors. Under section 127 (3) Consumer Credit Act 1974 the requirements are laid out clearly what is required for the court to be able to enforce the agreement where section 65(1) has not been complied with

127(3) The court shall not make an enforcement order under section 65(1) if section 61(1)(a)(signing of agreements) was not complied with unless a document (whether or not in the prescribed form and complying with regulations under section 60(1)) itself containing all the prescribed terms of the agreement was signed by the debtor or hirer (whether or not in the prescribed manner).

20. Further more the courts attention is also drawn to the authority of the House of Lords in Wilson-v- FCT [2003] All ER (D) 187 (Jul) which confirms that where a document does not contain the required terms under the consumer credit act 1974 and the Consumer Credit (Agreements) Regulations 1983 (SI 1983/1553) and Consumer Credit (Agreements) (Amendment) Regulations 2004 (SI2004/1482) the agreement cannot be enforced

21. With regards to the Authority cited in point 16, I refer to LORD NICHOLLS OF BIRKENHEAD in the House of Lords Wilson v First County Trust Ltd - [2003] All ER (D) 187 (Jul)

28.........I should outline the salient provisions of the Consumer Credit Act 1974. Subject to exemptions, a regulated agreement is an agreement between an individual debtor and another person by which the latter provides the former with a cash loan or other financial accommodation not exceeding a specified amount. Currently the amount is £25,000. Section 61(1) sets out conditions which must be satisfied if a regulated agreement is to be treated as properly executed. One of these conditions, in paragraph (a), is that the agreement must be in a prescribed form containing all the prescribed terms. The prescribed terms are the amount of the credit or the credit limit, rate of interest (in some cases), how the borrower is to discharge his obligations, and any power the creditor may have to vary what is payable: Consumer Credit (Agreements) Regulations 1983, Schedule 6. The consequence of improper execution is that the agreement is not enforceable against the debtor save by an order of the court: section 65(1). Section 127(1) provides what is to happen on an application for an enforcement order under section 65. The court 'shall dismiss' the application if, but only if, the court considers it just to do so having regard to the prejudice caused to any person by the contravention in question and the degree of culpability for it. The court may reduce the amount payable by the debtor so as to compensate him for prejudice suffered as a result of the contravention, or impose conditions, or suspend the operation of any term of the order or make consequential changes in the agreement or security.

22. The court's powers under section 127(1) are subject to significant qualification in two types of cases. The first type is where section 61(1)(a), regarding signing of agreements, is not complied with. In such cases the court 'shall not make' an enforcement order unless a document, whether or not in the prescribed form, containing all the prescribed terms, was signed by the debtor: section 127(3). Thus, signature of a document containing all the prescribed terms is an essential prerequisite to the court's power to make an enforcement order. The second type of case concerns failure to comply with the duty to supply a copy of an executed or unexecuted agreement pursuant to sections 62 and 63, or failure to comply with the duty to give notice of cancellation rights in accordance with section 64(1). Here again, subject to one exception regarding sections 62 and 63, section 127(4) precludes the court from making an enforcement order.

23. These restrictions on enforcement of a regulated agreement cannot be sidestepped.....And further more

36. In the present case the essence of the complaint is that section 127(3) of the Consumer Credit Act has the effect that a Regulated agreement is not enforceable unless a document containing all the prescribed terms is signed by the debtor

49. ".............The message to be gleaned from sections 65, 106, 113 and 127 of the Consumer Credit Act is that where a court dismisses an application for an enforcement order under section 65 the lender is intended by Parliament to be left without recourse against the borrower in respect of the loan. That being the consequence intended by Parliament, the lender cannot assert at common law that the borrower has been unjustly enriched.

50. This interpretation of the Consumer Credit Act accords with the approach adopted by the House in Orakpo v Manson Investments Ltd [1978] AC 95, regarding section 6 of the Moneylenders Act 1927 and, more recently, in Dimond v Lovell [2002] 1 AC 384, another case where section 127(3) precluded the making of an enforcement order. In Dimond's case the restitutionary remedy sought was payment of the hire charge for a replacement car used by Mrs Dimond. The House rejected a claim advanced on the basis of unjust enrichment. Lord Hoffmann observed that Parliament contemplated that a debtor might be enriched consequential upon non-enforcement of an agreement pursuant to the statutory provisions. It was not open to the court to say this consequence is unjust and should be reversed by a remedy at common law: [2002] 1 AC 384, 397-398.

25. Since the judgment of Lord Nicholls of Birkenhead clearly sets out that without a credit agreement the claimant's case cannot succeed

24. Therefore I respectfully request that if the court does not dismiss the claimant s case as laid out in point 21, that the court order the claimant produce the original signed agreement before the court to show the form and content of it and that it complies with the regulations referred to in this defence, otherwise the courts powers of enforcement are surely limited in these circumstances

25. Should the claimant be unable to produce the original agreement signed by both debtor and creditor and containing the prescribed terms, I request that the court uses its powers under section 142 Consumer Credit Act 1974 and declare the agreement as unenforceable.

Edited by steven4064
formatting

Hi everyone, merry christmas! :D

I just thought I'd update you on my defence case:

I got copies of all the documents requested by LTSB sent off to them, before the court deadline (unlike them!) I've had no response from them (well, it is christmas!) but they should have received them. All they wanted was copies of letters sent to me by LTSB themselves, and from the DCAs they passed it to, before it was passed back to the OC.

I didn't ask them for anything. There wasn't anything on their disclosure list I saw as significant, even in the stuff they didn't want me to see.

So now I'm waiting. Can't afford £75 to submit a modified defence so I'll hone my original. I need to start reading up on case law and the statutory instruments which are relevant. :-|

A question: do the courts allow me to read from notes as a Litigant in Person? I can't memorise everything! :eek: