Notes held for Longer than 6 years

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 4582 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

.............looked at my Experian file and it has credit card accounts which were settled over 6 years ago still on file. As well as this there are some instances i missed a monthyl payment (also 6 years past) which are still kept.

Is this right - should these accounts/missed payments not drop off after 6 years?

If so. Has anyone got a link to a letter which i can send (presumably the credit card company) asking for them to remove the information. Or do i ask Experian to remove the note?

Please please help:(

Halifax Current Account - £90 won back (Feb 23rd)

Halifax Credit Card - Statement back £200 charged

Halifax Electron - Req.statements 15th Jan not arrived

Barclays - Ready to request statements

Capital One - About to request statements

just send them a letter detailing your complaint

as i now subscribe to the cra,s, i did it on line.

48 hours later, all the old info was deleated

you are correct it is six years but the cra,s seem a bit lax deleating unless you remind them of there obligations

you send your letter direct to experian ,

etc

account info now not valid from original creditor

point to note

its six years after an account has been closed/defaulted/ or ccj that the info would be deleated

things like a normal unrecorded entry search-12 months

linked address-6 years

I was sure linked addresses were 6 years too so when an old linked address from late 1996 (which was linked to in June 2002) did not drop off I prompted Experian as I normally have do to have it removed.

I got this response:

Dear [PeteT]

Thank you for your email, which we received on 21 August 2008.

Linked address information can be retained for up to eight years.

Each request to consider a linked address entry that is over 6 years old is dealt with on a case by case basis. At this time I am unable to remove the linked address entry dated 02/06/02.

Please bear in mind that changes to the Data Protection Act 1998 came into effect from 31st October 2004. Since then, credit reference agencies only supply you with financial information relating to you. Your report will show the name of anyone with who you have a recorded financial association, but their financial information will not appear on your report. Lenders will no longer make decisions using financial information about people you live with, have lived with or who have previously lived at your address unless you share a financial connection.

Kind regards

Mr Steve A Mcdonald

Consumer Service Officer

CreditExpert

Since when can they retain linked addresses for 8 years? That's the first I've heard of it. Also what is this BS about them being the judge and jury about what they can and can't remove?? There is absolutely no reason why the home I m oved out of in 1996 can not be removed.

I've asked them to clarify which piece of legistlation allows them to circumvent basic Data Protection Act principles that data is not kept for longer than is necessary.

I await their response.

Pete

hi pete

i dont know what they are playing at either.

like i said mine was removed 48 hours after the request

they do now seem to be acting as to a law unto them selves

let us know there response about the legislation they are talking about.

where the hell did they get 8 years from

something smells bad

• 1 month later...

Same for me - an address I lived at nearly 7 years ago together with a temp address with family while I looked for somewhere to live. I moved into my present address over 6 + half years ago. This info was given by Cap One whose credit card I still have and use and Halifax PLC where I had a cashbuilder account (ie no overdraft facility or cheque card guarantee card and no credit agreements of any kind with them)

How come If you apply for credit wether it be monthly insurance direct debit payments or a car loan -if you have been at the same address 5 years - (for most companies that is for some it's less) they don't need previous addresses. So why do credit reference agencies keep this information on your records?

Can we get this info removed?