• Tweets

• Our picks

• If you are buying a used car – you need to read this survival guide.
      • 1 reply
    • Hello,

On 15/1/24 booked appointment with Big Motoring World (BMW) to view a mini on 17/1/24 at 8pm at their Enfield dealership.  

Car was dirty and test drive was two circuits of roundabout on entry to the showroom.  Was p/x my car and rushed by sales exec and a manager into buying the mini and a 3yr warranty that night, sale all wrapped up by 10pm.  They strongly advised me taking warranty out on car that age (2017) and confirmed it was honoured at over 500 UK registered garages.

The next day, 18/1/24 noticed amber engine warning light on dashboard , immediately phoned BMW aftercare team to ask for it to be investigated asap at nearest garage to me. After 15 mins on hold was told only their 5 service centres across the UK can deal with car issues with earliest date for inspection in March ! Said I’m not happy with that given what sales team advised or driving car. Told an amber warning light only advisory so to drive with caution and call back when light goes red.

I’m not happy to do this, drive the car or with the after care experience (a sign of further stresses to come) so want a refund and to return the car asap.

Please can you advise what I need to do today to get this done. 

Many thanks 
      • 81 replies
    • Housing Association property flooding. https://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/topic/438641-housing-association-property-flooding/&do=findComment&comment=5124299
      • 161 replies
    • We have finally managed to obtain the transcript of this case.

The judge's reasoning is very useful and will certainly be helpful in any other cases relating to third-party rights where the customer has contracted with the courier company by using a broker.
      This is generally speaking the problem with using PackLink who are domiciled in Spain and very conveniently out of reach of the British justice system.

Frankly I don't think that is any accident.

One of the points that the judge made was that the customers contract with the broker specifically refers to the courier – and it is clear that the courier knows that they are acting for a third party. There is no need to name the third party. They just have to be recognisably part of a class of person – such as a sender or a recipient of the parcel.

Please note that a recent case against UPS failed on exactly the same issue with the judge held that the Contracts (Rights of Third Parties) Act 1999 did not apply.

We will be getting that transcript very soon. We will look at it and we will understand how the judge made such catastrophic mistakes. It was a very poor judgement.
      We will be recommending that people do include this adverse judgement in their bundle so that when they go to county court the judge will see both sides and see the arguments against this adverse judgement.
      Also, we will be to demonstrate to the judge that we are fair-minded and that we don't mind bringing everything to the attention of the judge even if it is against our own interests.
      This is good ethical practice.

It would be very nice if the parcel delivery companies – including EVRi – practised this kind of thing as well.

OT APPROVED, 365MC637, FAROOQ, EVRi, 12.07.23 (BRENT) - J v4.pdf

gov v Monument

govtepe1
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 5636 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hello

Today I recaived my CCA from Monument , on the letter they sent me the manager wrote here is your credit application . So called credit agreement is an original aplication form I have filled years ago.

There is a declaration on the for an it says credit agreement regulated by the consumer credit act 1974 , there is a signature box with my signature on the box it says This is a credit Agreement regulated by the consumer credit act 1974 , but there is no second box for the company to sign.

It also states on the form please tick box if you would like express service the cost is £3.50 (see table overleaf for effect on APR), which will appear on your first statement. This service will give you a decision with seven days of receipt of your application.

your monthly payments will reduce your promotional balance first. At the end of the promotional period and outstanding balance will be transfered to your standard balance.

it gives rights to cancel.

it also says before the signature , I have read and agreed condition 21 of the terms and conditions which sets out how my information willbe used.

there are no other prescribed terms exsists

do you think this document is enforcable

I wrote to them today by copying one of the template letters about credit agreements and prescribed terms and demanded them to send me a regulated agreement if they cant they need to write the balance to zero. Do you think I done the right thing or is there any thing else I can do

Thank you

ABBEY personal loan cca sent 30/07/2008 NO reply:D

Abbey Mortgage S.A.R - (Subject Access Request) sent no reply

Abbey Bank account going court:mad:

Barclay Card CCA sent 31/07/2008 no reply:D

Barclay card gold CCA sent 31/07/2008 no reply:D

Monument CCA send 30/07/2008 an application was sent to me :D

Capital bank CCA racieved unenforcable agreement letter sent to bank :roll:

Can you scan the offending article.

Mike

If I've helped tip my scales

Blair Oliver & Scott, £2500 written off December 2006 Default removed January 2007:D

http://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/forum/general-debt/56001-mike220359-blair-oliver-scott.html

Monument, didn't sign the agreement

:D

Lloyds TSB didn't sign the agreement!

Citicards, didn't sign the agreement

RBS tut, tut!

:rolleyes:

Morgan Stanley, oh dear

hello my scanner does not work , do you want me to write it all out as how it is ?

The apperance is very importnat, but if you can write it out I'll have a look

Mike

If I've helped tip my scales

Blair Oliver & Scott, £2500 written off December 2006 Default removed January 2007:D

http://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/forum/general-debt/56001-mike220359-blair-oliver-scott.html

Monument, didn't sign the agreement

Lloyds TSB didn't sign the agreement!

Citicards, didn't sign the agreement

RBS tut, tut!

Morgan Stanley, oh dear

I recaived a letter from monument today stating that they have passed my letter to another department.

I then recaived another letter informing me of the new terms and conditions .Very wierd two lettersat once.

I sent monument a letter pointing out the missing bits on the credit agreement

no Apr

no signature from Monument

no total amount or how they are going to calculate it

There is no agreement just an application form .

• 4 weeks later...

havent recaived no letter from monument, they now in breach . I sent a new letter today pointing out that their agreement is unenforcable . And that they should stop taking money from me and remove my details from their system . will stop paying them next month . they clearly have no leg to stand on and choosing to ignore my letters.

I recaived a letter today from Monument , I am writing the full letter can some one please help me to write a response Mnay tahnks

I write further to your recent letter regarding your monument account.

The agreement we have enclosed with this letter is a copy of your credit agreement which we are providing to you in accordence with our obligations under the requirements of section 78 (1) requres tha we provide you with a copy of your executed agreement.

it is perhaps worth us explaining a little about the copy of the executed agreement section 78 (1) requires us to provide to you . copy for the purposes of the CCA does not refer to an exact copy of the agreement you signed. we are therefore not required by the CCA to provide you with a photocopy of the agreement showing your signature. section 78 requres us to provide you with a copy of your agreement wich looks like the one you signed but which has been updated to contain the terms and conditions which currently apply to your agreement (rather than those which applied at the time you signed the agreement.). importantly , the copy is not required to include your name or signature.

we hope that you are now satisfied with the documentation we have provided and that you will continue to make payments on your account.

with this letter they sent me 4 pages of terms and conditions with my name on but no signature.

They also sent me the original apllication form with signature .

On my first letter to them I was contesting the application form and I informed them the pescribed terms do not exsist therefore the credit agreement is un enforcable, they then sent me the above letter, I dont realy understand what they are trying to say on this letter can some one help me to write a reply .

govtepe

It sounds like what they have sent you does comply with s78 of the CCA 1974.

However, what they have sent you is not a copy of an executed agreement as defined in section 61. Therefore, under section 65, it can only be enforced by a court. Section 127 limits the court's ability to enforce an agreement under s65 to a document 'signed by the debtor and containing within itself the prescribed terms'. What they have sent you does not conform to this requirement and is therefore unenforceable.

You could write and tell them that.

thank you steven , I sent the letter today , I also aded at the end of the letter for them to remove details about me from their records , will see what happens .

another question should i stop the taking money out from my account ?

• 2 weeks later...

its been 10 days havent heard anything from them any anvice what to do next please

another question should i stop the taking money out from my account ?

Hi Gov,

If you've written to say their response to your CCA rquest is not enforceable, the ball is now in their court.

You don't need to pay them any more just now, but you may choose to pay what you can afford to reduce the amount you owe them.

Have you suffered penalty charges on this a/c that you want to reclaim.

It'll take more than a letter or 2 to stop them bothering you but wait for their response - then we'll decide on your next best move. :)

Edited by slick132
typos

We could do with some help from you

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING

EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHERS

Have we helped you ...?  Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

Please give something if you can. We all give our time free of charge but the site has bills to pay.

Thanks !:-)

ok thank you yes they charged me 12 per month for the last 7 months.

Hi Gov,

Well that's £84 you'll get back for starters, but what about charges in the last 6 years. They can all be reclaimed.

While you await their response, read the Reclaim Guide in my signature below, if you're not already familiar with the process. :)

Please give something if you can. We all give our time free of charge but the site has bills to pay.

I wrote to officer of fair trading today and sent the letter I recaived from MONUMENT, I also wrote to EQUIFAX and sen them the letters too.

will see what happens , I heard nothing from MONUMENT if they dont reply to me by tuesday it means they cleared the debt , this is because I wote on the letter that if I dont herar anything from them after 21 days I asume the matter to be closed.

Hi Gov,

I'm afraid that the debt will not be considered cleared just because you set a deadline which they miss.

Have you writen to Mon't saying the Credit Agreement they supplied is not legally enforceable.

yes I did write to Monument stating their credit agrement is unenforcable , I asked them to remove my details from their system and any credit referance agancys too , I said at the end of the lettter if I dont hear from them with in 21 days I asmue the account has being closed and my details removed, they have till tuesday to reply to me . do you think I have done the right thing ?

what should I do if I dont hear from them after tuesday, they sent me a new bill few days ago.

Hi Gov,

What you've said will not harm or prejudice your efforts.

I'm just saying that, if you set a deadline which they fail to meet, they will not lose the right to continue to pursue the matter.

No doubt they'll reply to you in time, probably ignoring your assertion that the debt is unenforceable. :mad:

heard nothing from monument 1 week passed the dead line they still did not reply to me, have heard nothing from OFT either . Monument did not reply to equifax either . Any suggestions as to what to do next please ?

Hi Gov,

Don't pay any more just now and wait for their next move.

Have you started the reclaim process - this will be useful if they start chasing you for payment, they threaten you with or issue a default notice, or they try to issue court action for payment.

what reclaim process ? .

Reclaiming all penalty charges which have been made to your a/c in the last 6 years.

• 2 weeks later...

am subscribing

good luck maz

Im happy to help with support and my own thoughts, but if I offer any thoughts to your problems please take it as from my life experience only and not of any legal standing. Always take further advice from the legal experts in your final action.:)

my new motto is,,,",Taking back control of your life and home - such peace is priceless"

This is all due to truecall device , have a serious peek at this you will be thankful like I am x laters angel :D

• 2 weeks later...

This is what I recaived two days ago

I am sorry that you have had to contact us about your monument account. Thank you for taking the time and trouble to do so.

at monument we are dedicated to consumer satisfaction and when a customer has concern with our product or service, we strive to treat that concern with the ultmost seriousness.

we wrote to you on 24 september 2008 and enclosed for the purposes of section 78 (1) of the consumer credit act 1974 (as amended) (the CCA) an executed copy of your agreement with us. we do not agree with you that the copy we provide does not comply with our obligations under section 78 (1) for the following reasons.

1) section 78 (1) does not require us to provide you with an exact copy or photocopy of the agreement you sined. we are not required to provide you with a copy showing your name or your signature and no section of the CCA imposes upon us to retain or produce a copy of your agreement showing your signature.

2) section 78 (1) requires us to provide you with a copy of your agreement which looks like the one you signed but which has been updated to contain the terms and conditions which currently apply to your agreement (rather than those which applied at the time you signed the agreement.). the copy we provide you with , is in the appropriate format and does include all of the current terms of you agreement with us.

it follows from the foregoing that we believe that we have complied with our obligation to provide you with a copy of your agreement under section 78 (1). we hope this letter has been helpful in explaining what the requirement of section 78 (1) are and that you will resume making repayments on your account.

I will keep your complaint file open for 8 weeks so you have time to consider my response. if i have not heard from you by then , i will regard your complint as closed.

it then goes on stating that I have right to complain to fiancial ombudsman .

this is the last paragraph.

please note however, that the financial ombudsman service do not seek to make judgements regarding the legal enforceability , or not , of the credit agreements. they consider that this is a matter for the courts to decide.

yours sincerely

naomi wort

customer relations