Fined for being in the wrong lane?

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 5718 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Ok, I'm very, very angry. Earlier today I drove to Gatwick airport to pick up my sister-in-law who had just flown in from America. I drove to the arrivals pickup point but as I got there I wasnt sure where to go, I got into the wrong lane (bus lane) and ended up going through the 'buses only' pickup area. There was a taxi driving close behind me so I couldnt change lanes anywhay. I didnt stop, I just drove straight through to the exit and out again. This is the first £75 fine that I've been warned about.

Having taken a phone call from my sis-in-law 10 mins later, she said she was at the buses only pickup point (where I had just driven through). She is only a small lady with 2 young restless kids and 4-5 heavy bags and she said she couldnt manage to cross the bus lane to the car pickup area. So I said I'd pick her up at the bus only part as it was safer. So I drove back round and as I was picking her up a traffic bloke told me I'd been seen on camera in the bus only lane and would now get issued a £75 fine. I mentioned about driving through earlier and he said I'd get £75 for that too!!!

£150 worth of fines... £75 for ebing in the wrong lane and £75 for using the bus area to pick her up as it was too dangerous for her to cross!

Is this legal? I dont see how they can get away with this!!?

Thanks,

Pete

Edited by Petejc21

Who has issued the fine? The council, or a private company?

If it's a private company, then it's not a fine but what is commonly known as 'an unenforceable invoice'.

Let us know which it is and we'll tell you more :D

I phoned gatwick airport and the man gave me a phone number for Civil Enforcement Ltd, which I believe is a private company. It was meant to be their customer services number, but guess what, you cannot actually talk to anyone, you can only make payments through the automated service.

Pete

Civil Enforcement are well known here.

The law does not allow for private companies to issue fines, only recoup their actual losses in court. What are the losses of you being in the wrong lane? Zero I should think!

These companies pay £2.50 to the DVLA for your address and then send out threatening letters. If 40% pay, no questions asked, it's a good business model for them. Their 'fines' are in fact nothing but unenforceable invoices.

So:

• do not pay

• do not contact them

ignore all letters you receive

• they will go away after 5 or 6 and give up

ignore all their lies and threats about court action, CCJs, debt collection and owner liablity

• they will never take you to court

Hope that clears things up. Feel free to scan and post the letters you receive (minus your personal details) and we'll tell you what we think of them.

Outstanding! Thankyou very much guys, I appreciate your help. I will let you know of any letters they send me in the post (before I go to the toilet). It really amazes me how they are legally allowed to operate in this way.

Pete

It really amazes me how they are legally allowed to operate in this way.

Their paperwork is often on very dodgy ground, if not fraudulent. The only problem is that the police and trading standards just don't want to know.

Plus the government is raking in £6m a year from the DVLA selling addresses.