• Tweets

• ps i doubt the PCN says macdonalds?? MET dont operate a reverse trespass car park for mc'd's parkers going to starbucks...(occupants left vehicle claim) they only do that for the starbucks part  i bet you parked in the starbuck side and walked to MCd's? dx    
    • it is NOT A FINE.....this is an extremely important point to understand no-one bar a magistrate in a magistrates criminal court can ever fine anyone for anything. Private Parking Tickets (speculative invoices) are NOT a criminal matter, merely a speculative contractual Civil matter hence they can only try a speculative monetary claim via the civil county court system (which is no more a legal powers matter than what any member of Joe Public can do). Until/unless they do raise a county court claim a CCJ and win, there are not ANY enforcement powers they can undertake other than using a DCA, whom are legally powerless and are not BAILIFFS. Penalty Charge Notices issued by local authorities etc were decriminalised years ago - meaning they no longer can progress a claim to the magistrates court to enforce, but go directly to legal enforcement via a real BAILIFF themselves. 10'000 of people waste £m's paying private parking companies because they think they are FINES...and the media do not help either. the more people read the above the less income this shark industry get. where your post said fine it now says charge .............. please fill out the Q&A ASAP. dx  
    • Well done on reading the other threads. If ECP haven't got the guts to do court then there is no reason to pay them. From other threads there is a 35-minute free stay after which you need to pay, with the signs hidden where no-one will read them.  Which probably explains why ECP threaten this & threaten that, but in the end daren't do court. As for your employer - well you can out yourself as the driver to ECP so the hamster bedding will arrive at yours.  Get your employer to do that using the e-mail address under Appeals and Transfer Of Liability.  
    • good you are getting there. Lloyds/TSb...i certainly would not be risking possible off-setting going on if a choice were there, but in all honestly thats obv too late now..., however..you might not never be in that situation so dont worry too much. regardless to being defaulted or not, if any debt that is not paid/used in 6yrs it becomes statute barred. you need to understand a couple of things like 'default' and 'default notice' a default is simply a recorded D in the calendar section/history of a debt, it does not really mean anything. might slightly hit your rating. the important thing here is a default notice , these are issued by the original creditor (OC) under the consumer credit act, it gives you 14 days to settle whatever they are asking, if you don't then they have the option to register a defaulted date on your credit file. that can make getting other credit more difficult. and hits your rating. once that happens, not matter what you do after that, paying it or not or not paid off or not, the whole account vanishes from your credit file on the DN's 6th b'day. though that might not necessarily mean the debt is not still owed - thats down to the SB date above. an OC very rarely does court and only the OWNER of a debt can instigate any court action (Attempted a CCJ) DCA's debt collection agencies - DCA's are NOT BAILIFFS they have ZERO legal powers on ANY debt - no matter what it's TYPE. an OC make pass a debt to a dca as their client to try and spoof people into paying through legal ignorance of the above statement. an OC may SELL on an old debt to a DCA/debt buyer (approx 10p=£1) and then claim their losses through tax write off and their business insurance, wiping their hands of the debt. the DCA then becomes the debt OWNER. since the late 70's dca's pull all kinds of 'stunts' through threat-o-grams to spoof a debtor into paying them the full value of the debt, when they bought if for a discounted sum (typically 10p=£1). you never pay a dca a penny! if read carefully, NONE of their letters nor those of any other 'trading names' they spoof themselves under making it seem it's going up some kind of legitimate legal 'chain' say WILL anything....just carefully worded letters with all kinds of threats of what could/might/poss happen with other such words as instruct forward pass... well my dog does not sit when instructed too...so... DCA's SOMETIMES will issue a court claim, but in all honesty its simply a speculative claim hoping mugs wet themselves and cough up...oh im going to court... BIG DEAL DCA - show me the enforceable paperwork signed by me...9/10 they dont have it and if your defence is conducted properly, most run away from you . however before they do all that they now have to send a letter of claim, cause the courts got fed up with them issuing +750'000PA speculative claims and jamming up the legal system. so bottom line is two conclusions.... if you cant pay a debt, get a DN issued ASAP (stop paying it!) make sure it gets registered on your file then it stops hurting your file/future credit in 6yrs regardless to what happens (bar of course a later DCA CCJ - fat chance mind!)  once you've a registered DN , then look into restarting payments if the debt is still owed by the OC, if SOLD to a DCA, don't pay - see if they issue a letter of claim (then comeback here!).        
  • Recommended Topics

• Our picks

• If you are buying a used car – you need to read this survival guide.
      • 1 reply
    • Hello,

On 15/1/24 booked appointment with Big Motoring World (BMW) to view a mini on 17/1/24 at 8pm at their Enfield dealership.  

Car was dirty and test drive was two circuits of roundabout on entry to the showroom.  Was p/x my car and rushed by sales exec and a manager into buying the mini and a 3yr warranty that night, sale all wrapped up by 10pm.  They strongly advised me taking warranty out on car that age (2017) and confirmed it was honoured at over 500 UK registered garages.

The next day, 18/1/24 noticed amber engine warning light on dashboard , immediately phoned BMW aftercare team to ask for it to be investigated asap at nearest garage to me. After 15 mins on hold was told only their 5 service centres across the UK can deal with car issues with earliest date for inspection in March ! Said I’m not happy with that given what sales team advised or driving car. Told an amber warning light only advisory so to drive with caution and call back when light goes red.

I’m not happy to do this, drive the car or with the after care experience (a sign of further stresses to come) so want a refund and to return the car asap.

Please can you advise what I need to do today to get this done. 

Many thanks 
      • 81 replies
    • Housing Association property flooding. https://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/topic/438641-housing-association-property-flooding/&do=findComment&comment=5124299
      • 161 replies
    • We have finally managed to obtain the transcript of this case.

The judge's reasoning is very useful and will certainly be helpful in any other cases relating to third-party rights where the customer has contracted with the courier company by using a broker.
      This is generally speaking the problem with using PackLink who are domiciled in Spain and very conveniently out of reach of the British justice system.

Frankly I don't think that is any accident.

One of the points that the judge made was that the customers contract with the broker specifically refers to the courier – and it is clear that the courier knows that they are acting for a third party. There is no need to name the third party. They just have to be recognisably part of a class of person – such as a sender or a recipient of the parcel.

Please note that a recent case against UPS failed on exactly the same issue with the judge held that the Contracts (Rights of Third Parties) Act 1999 did not apply.

We will be getting that transcript very soon. We will look at it and we will understand how the judge made such catastrophic mistakes. It was a very poor judgement.
      We will be recommending that people do include this adverse judgement in their bundle so that when they go to county court the judge will see both sides and see the arguments against this adverse judgement.
      Also, we will be to demonstrate to the judge that we are fair-minded and that we don't mind bringing everything to the attention of the judge even if it is against our own interests.
      This is good ethical practice.

It would be very nice if the parcel delivery companies – including EVRi – practised this kind of thing as well.

OT APPROVED, 365MC637, FAROOQ, EVRi, 12.07.23 (BRENT) - J v4.pdf
  • Recommended Topics

1st Credit/connaught Stautory Demand - HFC card?

Pimlico
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 5724 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

can anybody help me I am tearing my hair out here and dont have a clue what to do! I received a statutory demand from Connaught Collections and the time has expired ie the 18 and 21 days. I have been ill off work for about 20 months and have not been able to pay because I dont have an income. I sent a letter saying about my illness and a letter from my doctor. Im not actually sure what ths dbt is I think it could be for HSBC online credit car but not sure. Connaught collections latest letter is as follows:

Dear Bla Bla

Re: bankrupcy action 1st Credit Ltd HFC Outstanding Debt £XXXX.XX

I write to inform you that we are now in a position to present a Bankrupcy Petition against you following the recent delivery of our Staturtory Demand.

As you have chosen to either ignore the Statutory Demand or demonstrate an ability to pay the sum claimed, you leave us with little alternative other than to present a Petition.

Once a Petition is issued I should point out that the amount payable would increase with expenses, fees and costs including those of the Trustee following the Bankruptcy.

The Trustee will be invited to liquidate you assest/estate e.g. property, with a view of settling this matter.

A copy of this letter is retained on our file for later production to the court to demonstrate that every effort has been made on our part gto avoid this intended action.

Yours sincerely

Mr R maggs

Insolvency Department

:(

Edited by Pimlico
too much info

Hello pt2537 thankyou for replying to me so quickly.

I went through a debt adviser from the local council and he said that he contacted contacted Connaught and they had agreed not to do anything.

He told me in the meeting that the statutory demand may not be valid because it didn't have my local court details on it but theirs.

The debt adviser is very busy quite understandably but reading through some of the things on CAG I think he should have helped me to get it set aside or at least something in writing from connaught collections.

I have had mental health issues for the past 20 months or so and the adviser has been helping me with this.

He was arranged through the local NHS mental health trust.

I am alot better know than I was and able to take on some of these things to get them sorted out and i am hoping to get a little job shortly so that I can gain some confidence back.

How was ithe stat demand served? in person by server or through the post? if it came through normal post, you might be able to fight the petition by saying you didnt receive the stat demand. I am sure someone will be along shortly to confirm this. gl :)

Edited by madjenny1
change wording

thanks for that madjenny1, the only thing is the debt adviser for the council phoned them so they know i've had it, but i dont think he confirmed the date of when i received it from them. The Stat demand was sent via the normal post and not recorded delivery or anything. if i was going to fight it what do i need to fight it on? thanks for your help i am really grateful.

I found this on another debt site for you, hope it is of some help before someone else comes along who can help you.

IF the creditor does go ahead with a petition, then they have to present a sworn affidavit to the Court to certify when and how the Demand was served, which they obviously can't do if they just posted it (or at least not without perjuring themselves).

• Haha 1

your very welcome, I know all too well how worrying this stuff can be. The guy that posted the above information is a lawyer that helps out on a different site, so as far as I am aware and from other stuff I have read on this site it is correct. I am sure someone else will confirm this that knows more than me. Good luck to you. let us know how you get on.

Ps. have a read of this too

Point 2

Besides all the foregoing, the creditor at present would be unable to verify on oath when the SD came into your hands. Being unable to do this prevents the creditor from fulfiling the requirements of rule 6.11.

rule 6.11 says:

(1) Where under section 268 the petition must have been preceded by a statutory demand, there must be filed in court, with the petition, an affidavit or affidavits proving service of the demand.

(2) Every affidavit must have exhibited to it a copy of the demand as served.

(3) Subject to the next paragraph, if the demand has been served personally on the debtor, the affidavit must be made by the person who effected that service.

(4) If service of the demand (however effected) has been acknowledged in writing either by the debtor himself, or by some person stating himself in the acknowledgement to be authorised to accept service on the debtor's behalf, the affidavit must be made either by the creditor or by a person acting on his behalf, and the acknowledgement of service must be exhibited to the affidavit.

(5) If neither paragraph (3) nor paragraph (4) applies, the affidavit or affidavits must be made by a person or persons having direct personal knowledge of the means adopted for serving the statutory demand, and must—

(a) give particulars of the steps which have been taken with a view to serving the demand personally, and

(b) state the means whereby (those steps having been ineffective) it was sought to bring the demand to the debtor's attention, and

© specify a date by which, to the best of the knowledge, information and belief of the person making the affidavit, the demand will have come to the debtor's attention.

(6) The steps of which particulars are given for the purposes of paragraph (5)(a) must be such as would have sufficed to justify an order for substituted service of a petition.

(7) If the affidavit specifies a date for the purposes of compliance with paragraph (5)©, then unless the court otherwise orders, that date is deemed for the purposes of the Rules to have been the date on which the statutory demand was served on the debtor.

(:cool: Where the creditor has taken advantage of Rule 6.3(3) (newspaper advertisement), the affidavit must be made either by the creditor himself or by a person having direct personal knowledge of the circumstances; and there must be specified in the affidavit—

(a) the means of the creditor's knowledge or (as the case may be) belief required for the purposes of that Rule, and

(b) the date or dates on which, and the newspaper in which, the statutory demand was advertised under that Rule; and there shall be exhibited to the affidavit a copy of any advertisement of the statutory demand.

(9) The court may decline to file the petition if not satisfied that the creditor has discharged the obligation imposed on him by Rule 6.3(2).

You will see that included in the strict requirements of rule 6.11, the court still has power to decline to file the petition if not satisfied the creditor has discharged the obligation under 6.3(2).

We know service was by 2nd class post. Service that way doesn't discharge the obligation. A petition is not going to get past the filing clerk, UNLESS service can be established by some other way, ie (a) because you wrote to them acknowledging service or (b) you said so in an application to set the SD aside

Edited by madjenny1
more added

Hello madjenny1 thank you again for your help and the info. Do I try and get the sat demand set aside or do I just ignore it? If I try and get it set aside what might I need to say? I;m sorry to be a pain but I am hopeless when it comes to this sort of thing. Your advices would be appreciated. Thanks

OK Pimlico.....in the first instance send off for a request for your Consumer Credit Agreement (providing this alleged debt is for a credit card or a loan. (do this as soon as possible) send letter 'N' off to Connaught with a £1 postal order enclosed and send it by recorded / guaranteed delivery. You can find letter 'N' here. DO NOT HAND SIGN THE LETTER. - http://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/forum/general-debt-issues/20758-creditors-dcas-letter-templates.html

I also have to ask...when was the last time you made a payment towards the debt ? or acknowledged it ?

It would seem to be one of the 'false' statutory demands that Connaught seem to throw around, however do not ignore it, although it is difficult now as the 18 days has elapsed... BUT I would ring/visit your local court, and enquire whether anything has been lodged with the court....if it hasn't, ask them about the legality of these demands....one guy was told a couple of days ago on receiving one of these false demands to take it to the magistrates court as it is an abuse of process....

have a read here...

http://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/forum/debt-collection-industry/103839-cca-1st-credit-connaught.html?highlight=HAK

• Haha 1

Hi 42man

Thank you for your help. I will send cca request this morning. I havent paid a penny on this for at least 12 to 14 mths since I havent had any income and have relied on my family for support. I appreciate your links and it is very helpful in getting my mind around all this and getting things in perspective. I will go to the courts in the morning (got Marston Bailiffs coming round today on another debt matter so I want to be about just incase they try and break in). I'll keep you posted Thank you again for your support. Pim

Hello Honey OMG this is brilliant and you were wonderful yesterday with all the support you gave me. As you can see I am getting some good advice here and I actually managed to get a peaceful nights sleep which is amazing since I am bordering on the edge of bankrupcy! I am just waiting for Marstons the High Court enforcement officers to turn up as they promised to today (for another debt) but as yet they havent. I am prepared I think cos my 2 kids (5 and 6 Yrs Old) are about so I dont think they can enforce anything but I'll keep my doors and windows locked all the same and I have moved my car which has an HP on it thank goodness. Best to be safe than sorry! I really do appreciate your help and if you were here I would give you a big hug! Anyway, seeings you aren't I made a small donation to CAG yesterday instead! Thanks again I'm going to see if I can learn a bit more about this site so I am not so useless at finding out info.

You MUST go to the court to get the stat demand set aside, but make sure you claim your costs too.....it is far easier to get it set aside at this stage than to fight a bankruptcy petition....

You need to do this as soon as possible.....

Dispute on the debt due to non production of the Consumer Credit Agreement pertaining to the Consumer Credit Act 1974

Dispute the debt due to excessive charges also

I request the statuttory demand is dismissed/set aside due to the dispute of thise debt.

1) Failure to provide a copy of my Consumer Credit Agreement under the Consumer Credit Act

2) Excessive charges that have potentially been added to the account.

3) I would gracefully request the court grant my costs against the claimant.

I believe the facts herewith in this form are true.

Costs are £9;25 per hour litigant in person

Postage and parking added too...

2)

Use the forms from here..

http://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/forum/dca-legal-successes/86067-getting-statutory-demand-set.html

I tell you I am getting really mad with Counaughts and there SD.

42 Man-CAG we need to put an end to this and get our heads together and get this in the public knowledge. Anybody got any good ideas how we can do this.

HAK

• dx100uk changed the title to 1st Credit/connaught Stautory Demand - HFC card?