Unfair Non-Refund On Deposit

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 5725 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

I was supposed to be staying in private halls in Sheffield for this forthcoming year, but changed my mind last minute to go for a cheaper option. I hadn't signed any forms at this stage, but had given my card details over the phone. I rung up for them to cancel my booking, but they had already taken a £150 deposit out of my account. I asked them is they could refund it, but they said there was no way they could do it.

I think that this is totally out of order seen as though I'm not even staying there, and they said it wasn't even possible to refund it at the end of the academic year.

What can I do about this issue? I am absolutely hacked off as I am going to have hardly any money to survive on anyway and I'm already £150 down.

Any advice would be appreciated.

I think this is one of the (few!) situations where I absolutely agree with landlord/agent. Bearing in mind the "seasonal nature" of these lets, it is fairly unlikely that they will now re-let it, and therefore their actual loss is somewhat greater than £150.

You can attempt to sue if you want on the basis that there was no written agreement, but I suspect you will struggle.

7 years in retail customer service

Expertise in letting and rental law for 6 years

By trade - I'm an IT engineer working in the housing sector.

Please note that any posts made by myself are for information only and should not and must not be taken as correct or factual. If in doubt, consult with a solicitor or other person of equal legal standing.

Please click the star if I have helped!!

You could write an LBA(search the site) first stating that as there was no agreement in place that the deposit was non-refundable(I assume there wasnt?), they have no legal or contractual basis to withhold the deposit. State that they have 7 days to return the deposit, otherwise you will proceed to small claims court to enforce its return.

Did you pay via credit card or debit card?

Fair enough - in that timescale I change my mind a bit :)

Please note that any posts made by myself are for information only and should not and must not be taken as correct or factual. If in doubt, consult with a solicitor or other person of equal legal standing.

Would just deal with via letter.

Dont worry about SCC yet - wait and see the response to the letter.

Was it a Visa debit card by any chance?

Yes probably best at this stage

Edited by MrShed
Total change of mind on advice :)