Three engines in six months

icecreamman
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 5700 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hi all!!

I am in desperate need of help as i have written a letter to a garage under the goods and services act and asking them to pay back money on a job they done for me, i have requested they reply in 7 days or further action will be sought.

I was given a quote by the garage which was £1500 pound to replace the bottom end of my car with warrenty, car was booked in i was told to phone the next week and it would be done , it wasn't it was many phone calls, excuses and 5 weeks later before i got my car back! i picked it up and all seemed ok only there was smoke from the exaust, i phoned the garage they said it was just water and would clear, well 4 days later i was sat on the motorway with oil everywhere and a blown up engine, i phoned the garage and got it towed back to them by a local recovery firm, two months later it was fixed only to be back in there again within a week and half with the same prob, major oil leak from bottom of engine, there was also calls inbetween this time reg bracket came off car they said it was not a major prob and would be ok, engine smoking, they said we will book you in but cant do it yet, you will have to phone back another time, etc etc, many phone calls and excuses by them car still not done two weeks later, had to buy another car as have appointments ouside my home town and couldn't rely on public transport, anyway finally i phoned the garage they said we have just got to test drive it phone in half hour, i did this they sais you can come get it in an hour we are just washing it down, i think i must have been early as it looked like it had been in a rally, mud everywhere!! i never said anything as i was just so pleased to have my dream car back, the next day when it was light i noticed it was smoking again i went up the garage and the mechanic said i am not going to do it again i said it is under warrenty you have to, he said the boss is away i will talk with him when he gets back, well in between then i took my car home one night and you guessed it locked her up and noticed oil everywhere all over floor from bottom of engine, got it towed back to the garage they said my turbo had blow up and i would have to pay for a new one! paid the money and a month or so later they said the engine is blown up and we are not fixing it, i said its warrentied they said no its not your turbo caused it, i took it out of there in a worse state than it went in.

my costs were car from private seller £2.500 work in the end costing £1.850 three lots of recovery at £80 new car £900.

the garage wont give me warrenty or receipt they say it was cash! as stated i wrote one letter under goods and services and have given seven days i may have to write back in a couple of days if i dont get my money recovered, trouble is i don't no what to do next and thats if i can do anything? plese help!!!

oh i forgot to say the engine is now out of the car there was no oil, no coolant, loose and missing bolts on engine, manifold, and damaged air con

Edited by icecreamman
forgot to add

Hi mate!

What about the receipts etc i havn't got do i still have a chance? and is there any legal jargon that i could quote? also should i try and claim for the little car i bought to get around in etc etc?

Many thanks your help is great fully received

I don't think they could deny the work as the car was delivered to them three times by a recovery firm which i have proof, also i had witnesses with me on several occasions,

I think i am stumped on the engineers report though as the engine is already out of the car, i was given a breif description of damage which was not good ie loose and missing bolts on engine and manifold, no coolent in the engine, damaged air con, missing and loose brackets, no oil etc etc.

i was going to write and say i am going to report them to the tax office, tradings standards, and ask for my total losses ie the car i bought, and recovery fees plus interest if they didn't pay and it went to court, i am guessing the engine report thing is standard, which throws a spanner in the works literally!!

What are your views guys?

What's this 'tax' office your threatening to report them to?

The engineers report does not throw a spanner in the works, you can commission an engineer to go look at the engine and he will go to where the engine is.

They told me it was a cash job and i could not have warrenty or receipt, though i did pay cash this was news to me, when i took my car away another garage had e brief look they told me i should report them to the tax office as if they didn't pay there taxes and they done this then they would worry and pay the customer back, they also said that it is a brobable hole in piston which has caused all the damage, they have been going for over 20 years.

Oh, that tax office - you mean the 'VAT' office.

Cash and no receipt eh, nice one. Have a check and see if they are registered for VAT, you have a powerful tool there if they are registered and doing work for cash in hand.

Hi Conniff!

I am not sure how to go about doing this, do you have any ideas? i have sent the garage one letter stating goods and services act and expect money back by reply tomorow(tues) which is one week from when i wrote the letter, the garage are quite a big garage they do repairs and also have a forcourt of about 25 cars for sale i am pretty certain that they are vat registered,

do you or anyone have an idea of what to write for a good second letter?

Hi all!

Can anyone help with my above question with my second letter, do i add my expenses on top of work if they don't comply? what organisation do i report them to if they don't comply, do i state i will go to tax office? how long do i have to give them before i go to small claims?

does anyone have any ideas?