No Water Bill For 4 Years

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 4924 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

South East water sent me a bill for £950 when i called to investigate they stated i haven't paid for 4 years, I have had no letters no bill nothing and to be honest i didn't even think about as i pay everything by DD,

Question is can they back date the bill that long and if so what are my rights due to there error how long can i spread payments to catch up if i am liable ofr the full amount, i am not on a meter and only get charged £250 a year.

Unfortunately unlike gas and elaectricity water companoies can bill you for those 4 years. The should give you as lomg to payback ie 4 yesrs - you will have to keep up with present bills which should be six monthly. If you have a direct debit with them make sure they do not take it one amount. Personally I would cancel the direct debit for the time being - cancel it with your bank and let the water company know you have done this.

Well really I would say it is up to you what you pay them in arrears. Write to them stating the amount YOU CAN AFFORD and ask them for details to set up a standing order, this way there is no way they will be able to change the amounts as you send them the money rather than them callling for it.

Send them their monthly charge plus the arrears you owe at your agreed amount. Don't forget to send the letter recorded delivery.

Good luck.

PLEASE DONATE ANYTHING THAT YOU CAN

A government that robs Peter to pay Paul can always depend on the support of Paul.

George Bernard Shaw

Go on, click me scales (if I have helped) :grin:

Hi, the best way to deal with these big compaines like what was said before, is to phone and explain to them, as they will be more inclinded to help you, rather than calling then and just giving them greif, which i know is what you really want to do!!!!!

explain what you can afford and they will more than likely expect and try and help you as much as they can.

good luck

hi

i work in the industry and this sounds like it has been a potential billing error to start with more than anything else and you haven't been billed for some reason for this period.

as you are on unmeasure water you can only be back bill a maximun of 1year plus 1 (2 years) as a domestic customer.

i would strongly suggest speaking to the local consumer council for water for advice at:

Fourth Floor (South), High Holborn House, 52/54 High Holborn, London WC1V 6RL.

Tel: 0207 831 4790. Fax: 0207 831 7253. Lo-call: 0845 758 1658.

Email: [email protected] Office hours: 9.00 - 17.00 Mon-Fri

then writing to the southeast water to dispute the bill,

the consumer council will be able to assist you and monitor the complaint and the water companies responses and if not satisfactory will be able to launch their own review of what has happened.

When I last phoned the Consumer Council for Water (about one month agp) I was informed that water accounts can be backdated as long as the company likes. Suggest when you contact them you ask them again.

• 2 months later...

just to update on this i called the council and they confirmes that they can backdate bills for upto 6 years, Also i have spoken to them and agreed to pay back £40 mth to clear which is reasonable and they were quite understanding.

Yes, for a family the water meters can be extremely expensive. There are 2 adults and 3 children in our house and we pay around £800 a year!

PLEASE DONATE ANYTHING THAT YOU CAN

A government that robs Peter to pay Paul can always depend on the support of Paul.

George Bernard Shaw

Go on, click me scales (if I have helped) :grin:

• 1 year later...

Very old thread but it shows I've done my searching!

We moved in to a flat in jan 2006, we have never received a water bill. Nor any correspondance whatsoever from the water company.

In my old flat, the landlord paid the water and I (stupidly) assumed it was the same for this flat. It's only come to light as we are due to move out shortly and the new landlord has been discussing the utilities in the new flat with us.

I've started to panic about a massive bill appearing on the doorstep for this unbilled water. I understand that Water bills are not limited to 1 year like Gas & Electric - I have no idea if there is a Water Meter as we live in a block of flats and when we have the Electric Meter read, for example, the caretaker does it for us.

I appreciate that I will owe something, I'm just now terrifed over how much it will be and how long they will reasonably let me pay over.

Any advice?

Very old thread but it shows I've done my searching!

We moved in to a flat in jan 2006, we have never received a water bill. Nor any correspondance whatsoever from the water company.

In my old flat, the landlord paid the water and I (stupidly) assumed it was the same for this flat. It's only come to light as we are due to move out shortly and the new landlord has been discussing the utilities in the new flat with us.

I've started to panic about a massive bill appearing on the doorstep for this unbilled water. I understand that Water bills are not limited to 1 year like Gas & Electric - I have no idea if there is a Water Meter as we live in a block of flats and when we have the Electric Meter read, for example, the caretaker does it for us.

I appreciate that I will owe something, I'm just now terrifed over how much it will be and how long they will reasonably let me pay over.

Any advice?

Anyone?

• 3 months later...