Speeding notice - APCO rules

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 4626 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

I was caught speeding and i am concerned that the detection of my vehicle was the first of the day, and I suspect that the vehicle in front of me was an unmarked Police car and that that was involved in the initial calibration exercise.

APCO clearly states

The device must be currently within its calibration period.

Due to the nature of the medium and systems used, these devices are continually self-calibrating.

Calibration verification is carried out:

(a) By the device itself during its built-in tests upon being switched 'on'

(b) During and as part of the start and end of tour checks. A record of these checks will be made (i.e. in pocket note book).

Should a calibration defect arise, the device must be returned to the manufacturer or certified authorised agent before further use.

The manufacturer shall annually calibrate a speedmeter or his agent and a certificate should be issued to this effect and held by the police. A visible sticker showing the date of calibration should be fixed to the meter.

The type-approval process acknowledges the accuracy of the device together with its self-checking systems. In that respect, it is vital that at the start and conclusion of a tour of duty, all laser devices are checked in accordance with the manufacturer’s instructions, and will include alignment and distance checks.

These checks will be recorded and noted as part of the evidence as to the integrity of the machine and the data so produced. Additionally, at each speed detection site, the officer will note that, when switched on, the device self-checked and operated correctly.

Where the operating design of the laser is such that a static distance check cannot be carried out the device must be checked against a calibrated speedometer by a drive through during the tour of duty during which the device is used.

The use of a patrol car to drive through each site to check the accuracy of the device is no longer required, though when using this method operators should guard against any suggestion of provoking another driver to commit the offence especially if the police vehicle is unmarked

Who do i write to about this information, the CPS or the unit from which the speeding prosecution unit the notice came from?

Veester

"Challenges are what make life interesting; overcoming them is what makes life meaningful." -- Joshua J. Marine‏ ;)

Better than the truth itself is truthful living.

You will have to wait wait until you plead not guilty and then (you can) get to see the evidence against you.

Or just fold and take the smaller costs and the three points..

can change your plea later after you have seen the evidence - if you go the not guilty route.

what makes you think the car in front was the speed car ? that method would only work if the car in front was also calibrated.

they can calibrate over a fixed (known) distance and so have no need of a speed car.

Most if not all lasers are not calibrated against moving vehicles.

ACPO is just 'guidelines' the CPS will quote... even though they are not that.

is there video ?

Interesting - i understand the approach.

They have sent me a snap shot photo - front of me and car - so i think that is a snapshot from the footage.

Also sent me a statement from the officer about calibration etc.

As for the car in front being a speed car - ironically i've seen the van with the same number plate parked at the Magistrates Courts/Police Area.

Might be wrong, but hell, worth asking the question

Veester

"Challenges are what make life interesting; overcoming them is what makes life meaningful." -- Joshua J. Marine‏ ;)

Better than the truth itself is truthful living.

laser devices are 'calibrated' annually. Thats what the officers statement takes about.

there are 'set up checks' that need to be done per session. different things.

I don't know which device it was that got you but if you google around you will probably be able to find the manufacturer's instructions for it etc.

There is a LOT o get your head around if you are fighting a laser pull, not least of which wil be court rules and rules of evidence.