DVLA Tax disc penalties and Double Jeopardy

Mighty Servant
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 5733 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

I have just returned from an 18 month contract in Singapore. I rented my house in North London and put my car in storage.

Three months after leaving the UK in Feb 07 the tax expired in May 07. OK my fault I didn't engage brain.

I met with my tenants yesterday who handed me a pile of mail and said "bailiffs" turned up last summer with a mobile crane asking for me and looking for my BMW.

I'm presently in a rental car because I'm only here for the week. My car is on eBay because I'll be away another 18 months.

The DVLA sent letters saying they will "recover" a penalty for failure to renew, and another letter wanting to recover a penalty for the offence for failure to display and the DVLA appears to be practicing double jeopardy.

I understood failure to display only applies to cars on public roads. In any event the DVLA has judged penalty for both offences where one offence is part of another.

I'm only here for the week and no new DVLA & bailiff communication for a year. Do I ignore it and let it come to nothing. Or do I make some kind of reply & if so, what?

TIA.

If the car has not been on the highway then it needs to be sorned, which you acknowledge you didn't do. As this was not done they will also go after you for the outstanding road tax.

As you are selling the car and not going to be here for much longer it could be some time before DVLA get you in their sights again. If there has been no communication for a year then it might be better to let sleeping dogs lie.