Nationwide Autocentre failed repair - should we accept F&F settlement?

europa16
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 5738 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hi

Back in April we took our BMW into one of Nationwide Autocentre's premises to get an oil leak fixed. It turned out to be the rocker cover gasket, and they replaced it after 2 days of having the car (despite it being a 1.5hr job). A few weeks later, we noticed it was leaking again and took it back for them to repair under the guarantee.

They fixed it again, and gave us the car back the next day.

Everything was fine for a week or two, then it started leaking badly. We already had the car booked in a BMW for another running problem, and they diagnosed that the gasket was again leaking.

I sent a fax over to Nationwide's head office, giving the nature of the details, and the fact that we no longer trusted Nationwide Autocentre with our car. I gave them details of the estimate and my email address for them to contact me urgently.

I heard nothing from them, and BMW fixed the gasket. Trading Standards suggested that I may have a good case for claiming the cost of BMW fixing it because NA had already tried to fix it and failed, and because it was inconvenient for me to take the car back there due to it's location from me.

Having written to NA, they have refunded the cost of their invoice, but I am still out of pocket for the diagnosis and the BMW repair, to the tune of £200+.

They have stated that they would usually require the old parts returned for them to send back to their supplier for inspection, and that they will not refund the cost of the BMW invoice because I did not communicate with the centre that carried out the repair there was still a problem (even though I went straight to head office with my problem?). They say they weren't given a chance to recify the problem and they didn't authorise the repair.

Where do I stand with this? Should I accept the refund of the initial Nationwide Autocentre invoice or am I entitled to the cost of the repair to fix their poor workmanship? TS suggest I may, but I'm not too sure.

Thanks

Chester - The refund was for £95.00, the original cost of getting their so-called mechanics to supply and fit the part. That leaves us out of pocket for £245 for BMW fixing their mess and £40 for the diagnosis that it had gone again (we got the diagnosis because we couldn't believe that it was still the same problem).

Surfer - I agree wholeheartedly. It was supposed to be a simple job which they screwed up twice. That's one of the main reasons for refusing to use them again, or giving them a chance to balls it up once more.

Do you think we'd stand a good chance if I refused their f&f and went for the amount we paid BMW?

No, you have a refund for their faulty repair, thats the limit of their liability to you. the fact that got it repaierd correctly somewhere else and it cost twice as much is not their problem. thats what it would have cost you if had gone straight to bmw. You could try to sue for inconvenience costs etc. but doubt you would win IMHO.

No, you have a refund for their faulty repair, thats the limit of their liability to you. the fact that got it repaierd correctly somewhere else and it cost twice as much is not their problem. thats what it would have cost you if had gone straight to bmw. You could try to sue for inconvenience costs etc. but doubt you would win IMHO.

I don't know the law, but I agree with raydetinu, I think they did good to give you back there invoice cost.

ok guys, thanks for the advice. I suppose I shouldn't push my luck requesting the rest.

Safe to say I won't be using then ever again, nor friends and family so they've lost out there.