Joint bank accounts and divorce

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 5735 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hi Hope someone has had experience similar to my problem with the Nationwide or other banks.

I am going through a divorce and my wife an I have a joint account. I am the only one putting money in and she is drawing it out and spending it, so I stopped putting money in but now my wife is using the overdraft facility and running up bank charges

My bank have refused to let me close the account without her permission but she won't agree to this.

Are they right to do this? If so what is my best step from here

Quick replies much appreciated

Best step - go straight to the lawyer who is handling your side of the divorce.

British Shoe Corporation - won :) BT - won :) West Lancs Council - lost :-x 02 - won :) British Airways - still fighting :o STOP PRESS - RSPCA - daughter won with letters I wrote :)

You may not be able to close the account, but I see no reason why you can't have your name removed from it.... but you will need something in writing from them to confirm the date when it's done.

If the bank refuse to do this as well, due to the charges that are now on the account... then see your solicitor as advised. He/she should be able to freeze the account, which means that your wife will have to fend for herself a bit more.

Meanwhile, don't pay anything else into it.

Hi Hope someone has had experience similar to my problem with the Nationwide or other banks.

I am going through a divorce and my wife an I have a joint account. I am the only one putting money in and she is drawing it out and spending it, so I stopped putting money in but now my wife is using the overdraft facility and running up bank charges tell the bank that you are going through a divorce and that you want a stop placed on the account so neither of you can use it.

My bank have refused to let me close the account without her permission but she won't agree to this.

Are they right to do this? unfortunately both parties have to agree to the removal or closure of an account. However see above. Maybe call Nationwide tonight and get the stop on the account straight away. If so what is my best step from here

Quick replies much appreciated

You could get the charges back or ask that as part of the divorce settlement that she is responsible for the account being brought back into credit and that it is closed, ie written document signed by both you and the wife.

FSA Waiver on Bank Charges:http://www.fsa.gov.uk/pages/Doing/Regulated/Notify/Waiver/pdf/dir_quart_0709.pdf

Why dont take out the rest of the money up to od limit, that will block the account and from the money you have taken out just pay the interest, to keep the back happy and then when solicitor or you have blocked it officialy pay the money back in.

Yes with a letter to the bank stating that the issues on the OP. The OP can do so as well.

FSA Waiver on Bank Charges:http://www.fsa.gov.uk/pages/Doing/Regulated/Notify/Waiver/pdf/dir_quart_0709.pdf