style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 4903 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hi

I have been sruggling with debts since 2000 when my ex husband decided to leave me with all the debts/bills to pay. I had 2 children 1 at school and 1 at college. I had to work 80 plus hours a week to survive, dealing with rent arrears,council tax arrears plus numerous debts that appeared when he left us. I am still struggling to this day and have been advised by C.A.B and CCCS (last year) to go bankrupt- now this seems to be the only way forward for me at this present time and I am seriously considering it, however maybe I am *old school* but what does this mean? I am scared about my job, my car and what little I have in my rented home.

I am receiving help from TT (many many thanks!) with bailiffs and charges and L/A - but I am scared to go down this road. I have chatted to my boss who says it wont affect my job-I physically cannot work any more hours - I now work 50 hrs a week, but I have managed to get rid of all rent arrears so going bankrupt shouldn't affect my home? Or does it??

I am in such a mess and want to be able to live properly as apposed to struggling week to week, not knowing when I can afford food for myself....any help would be appreciated..thank you.

• Replies 134
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Hi and thanks for the support.

I am still pondering going bankrupt!! weighing it all up so to speak...I have battled on for 6 or more years now and getting nowhere, so I know it has to be the way forward, but like I said before I am scared of the whole thing...bank account, car etc...It does seem scary.

But I will keep you all informed and if I need to ask questions I will of course ask you guys..

Thanks again.

Sugar

Edited by Sugarbabe47
bad spelling---ooops

Hi Brent

Thanks for the kind words...I am being told by close friends that I NEED to do this for my health as I have suffered from 2000/01. The only problem is getting a bank account, as my ex husband left me in several thousand pounds of debt, it took me over 12 months to get this basic one I use now. I am so scared of the stigma with going bankrupt, scared of going to court..I know I must do this as I have been told by C.A.B and CCCS (last year!)

What happens if you need a telephone in your home?? Does anyone know?? I am on prepayment meters for gas and electricity so thats not a problem. I am sooooo confused about all of this and I am reading everyday to get some knowledge on the subject. Is there anyone out there that can tell me the process, step by step?? Any advice would be grateful. I go back to C.A.B 18th August to start bankrupcy with their help...oh I am so tired with all the worry, sleepless nights...I too have considered suicide over money troubles--I want it all to be over, I am under a lot of stress with it all. Thanks again.

Cheers Brent.

One more question..C.A.B mentioned that because I am a *single person working* I may have payments taken from my wages, possibly about 40 pounds, and that the OR usually goes for people like me?? and that lasts for 3 years, so that is what concerns me...being bankrupt for 3 years.

I work now 50 hrs a week and earn just £1,000 a month, my daughter is moving out anytime now, I have no parents...just me and me dog!!

Does anyone know what the guidelines are for household expenses??

Please any help is appreciated.

Palomino,

Thanks..but I just used the words that the C.A.B advisor told me..He said the OR tend to "go for people like me" I asked what he meant by that and he said " single people working"

Believe me I don't expect to be living the high life..never have and I doubt I ever will, but I am so very cared and confused.. mentally this is torture.the past 6 years have have been hell, with all the other issues going on in my life (see thread bailiff!) I am suprised that I have kept out of a mental home, and I don't say that flippently. This financial pressure has drained every ounce of fight left in me. But thanks for the advice, it is very helpful in making my mind up.

Hi Fermi

Many thanks for kind words. I am struggling with should I, shouldn't I? If that makes sense? Every day I am constantly thinking about going bankrupt..the main reason for my thinking no is the bank account and trying to set up DD's for essential bills, this alone scares me as it took years for me to get this account from what my ex left me in. I had a managed account before and paid for the use of an account, which was stupid amounts. Its true what I have heard the poor get poorer!!

It angers me that I have worked all my life and raised 2 kids basically on my own, and to end up like this-it's demoralising to say the least. The only positive thing I can say at this time is both my kids have grown up to be respectable young adults, with no Police, no drugs no trouble whatsoever. I do feel embarrassed and to talk to my kids about it and it would cause them to worry too, they are not in a position to help anyway and I wouldn't ask them! They know something is wrong but I don't have the heart to worry them. My daughter is excited at getting her first place soon, so I don't want to burst her bubble.

Anyway sorry for going on, it is nice that here people do care and I really appreciate it. Thank you again.

Dzz

Many many thanks for that..it does not sound as scary as I have feared. I go on Tuesday to local C.A.B with my decision..I am going to go bankcrupt. I have weighed up all the pros and cons and its the only way forward for me. I have struggled for over 6 years now and its been that bad I have been unable to feed myself at times.. I do not want to continue like this. I have suffered depression because of finances.

One more question.

When does my bank account get frozen and am I allowed to take my wages out to pay for rent, counil tax etc?

You people on here are fantastic and the advice given is most helpful, thank you again.

I wish I had found this site when that parasite of an ex husband first left me in this doo doo!

• 2 weeks later...

Hi UPDATE

I went to local C.A.B on 19th August and he (financial advisor) has filled in paperwork for me to apply for "help with bankrupcy fees". I must admit I did not know that this kind of help was available, so I may be able to get assistance with the bankrupcy fees! I am just waiting now for the forms to come back with a decision. What I want to know is 1) Can I go and open a basic account now ready for the bankrupcy?:confused:

2) How do I get a home telephone line whilst a bankrupt?:confused:

(I do not understand pre payment!)

3) My car is only worth 5/600 pounds and I travel to work in it, I work in another town from my own.Would I lose my car?:eek:

Any help would be appreciated thanks again.:)

Hi Palomino

Many thanks for that! I was confused with what Brent had posted. I understand that bank accounts are frozen with immediate effect as soon as you are declared bankrupt. I would still like some help with the other 2 questions in my previous post though if anyone can that would be great.

Thanks again.:)

:confused:Hi all

Confused now!! I have another question. I rent my home and have done for over 20 years! What I want to know is because I have had arrears in the past and sorted them out, and just cleared my arrears (since that ex did one!) would I lose my home? Would my landlord try to get me out???

Thanks for all the help and support.

Hi Fermi.

No I cannot explain to the landord - its tricky really. To cut a long story short I have suffered criminal damage and harrassment for over 5 years with my neighbours. At first no-one, including my landlord believed me, anyhoo upshot now is- the neighbours are being evicted!! after a very serious court case involving them all next door to me...so I have had a lot to put up with, so no I do not trust my landlord with this personal information about myself. All this has been ongoing with all my financial pressure too. I work 50 plus hours a week and concerned that if I informed landlord (been a tenant for over 20 years!) that they may try to evict me, as I am sure all the other neighbours will know my business,as landlord tends to "chat to other tenants about other tenants" I keep myself to myself if that makes any sense, and prefer to keep it that way.

So this is something else that I am worried about - my home.

Thanks for the reply.

Fermi

Thanks for that, but I have just managed to clear rent arrears, ongoing from 2001. I also have a suspended order from 2003. To cut it short what I want to know is, I have court costs to repay now the arrears are cleared - £430.00 I know I have to pay would the OR take this into account and can my landlord evict me if these costs are included in my bankrupcy.

I would rather try and pay the costs so my home is safe and one less worry for me to deal with.

I understand people on here have said nice/encouraging things to me, but from 2001 I have really, really struggled and to me I feel that I should pay these court costs to ease my worry of losing my home. I can clear these costs possibly before end of November and then I may file for bankupcy, any ideas/help?

• 3 weeks later...

Hi all

Sorry it's been a while, fighting with L/A and bailiffs and deciding wether or not to go bankrupt - well the choice has been made!! I do feel that my L/A and bailiffs have forced me to do this.

Update....I applied for a grant from a trust fund for bankrupcy fees with the help of C.A.B and tonight when I got home from work I received a letter stating that I have been granted the full amount!

I can't believe this, especially as I am in mid battle with my L/A (see thread - bailiffs). Maybe these ctax arrears will be wiped out too??

So now I have an appointment set up for 02nd October with C.A.B, to file for bankrupcy. All my close friends have told me to go bankrupt for my health and state of mind...all this is making me feel scared, as my daughter has just left home this last weekend and for the first time in 32 years I am alone, no kids at home, no relative staying with me, it feels weird! I don't feel alone on CAG as you guys are fantastic with the advice and help I have received here. I will keep you informed of my progress and I will be here asking for help along the way, please bear with me as I have researched as much as I can about bankrupcy and still need questions answering.

I asked my landlord if I would lose my home if I went bankrupt and they said no, even though my rent arrears are cleared I have court costs yet to pay (from when my ex did *one* and left me in the doo doo - 2001!)

My employer has told me also that it will not affect my job, which has reassured me.

The only thing I am concerned about is the bank account and my car (I inherited the car from my brother - I found him dead in bed in 2006) The car is only worth a few hundred pounds, but worth more to me. I travel to another town to work so I do need a car, and I travel to 2 sites for my job.

Hopefully things can and will get better from now on.

hi all

OMG....Phoned CAB this morning and also court for the paperwork and I have been booked in for bankrupcy on 12th November - earliest appointment!!! I feel scared now that this is really happening, I can't believe this....I know deep down this is the way to go, but I still feel frightened and worried about the unknown so to speak. I am so grateful for all the help received in here. I am playing the waiting game now, and I am going to study, study bankrupcy and learn as much as I can before the day. I have asked my CAB advisor to attend court with me and he will do.Thank goodness he is as I do not think that I can do this alone.

As a single working person could someone please tell me what my allowances are per month and what I can or can not claim for in my expenditure-I have checked out O/R's technical manual and do not understand it fully. Thanks Sugar x

Hi Blue4ever - thanks a ton, still digesting those websites and still confused!!! However it doesn't take away the feeling that I am a failure, even though I can see light at the end of this deep,dark tunnel, I still feel embarrassed,confused,scared. Maybe these feelings will go away once I have been through it all. I just told my daughter tonight and she told me off for not telling her sooner!!!! But she did say that it will make me feel better and draw a line from the mess my ex left me in, complete closure of a really bad time in my life. I hear all this but believing it is a different thing. Like I said I am *old school*.

Muffin2020 - Thanks for the encouragement, much appreciated.:)

Sequenci thanks. Yes I am led to believe that I can claim for hairdressing??? Dentist fees and opticians and medication??? How true is this please? Would I be able to claim for *emergencies*? or holidays? (never had one , but thought I would ask anyway!) I have 4 lots of tablets each month to keep me alive!!, ouch...now I feel old for admitting that one!! I have glasses, but haven't been able to afford to get some new ones for over 2 years, even though my eyes are getting worse!!! So I would like to know EXACTLEY what I can claim for. I also have a dog, so vets fees??/ Dogfood???? I know all this sounds as if I am thick, but I want to be sure that I put everything down correctly, this scares me all this paperwork!!:confused:

Thanks again for all the help.

Sugar x x

Hi Fermi :)

Thanks for that. You are right about being on a tight budget during this period, I have had to allow family members to buy my dogfood!!! So to be on the safe side I do not want to dis-allow myself something that I may be entitled to. I have had enough of being screwed over, by ex's and my local Authority and I do not want to EVER be in this sad, sad situation again in my life. Last month my washer broke down and I can't afford to get it repaired or even buy a new one, so I am reduced to hand washing - in this day and age!!

Thats why I am asking the questions now as I believe I will not be told what my entitlements are, thats how I see it anyway. Much appreciated. Thank you.

Hi ALL

Just another question if anyone can help me please!

When the O/R takes my tax off me how do I pay the O/R the extra tax that will be in my wage packet due to nil tax code???

Do I pay into another account for the O/R???

I would appreciate knowing this.

Thanks guys/girls:confused:

Hi all

Just another question. I have managed to open co -op cashminder account - stuff and card to arrive in post in 5 days time. What I would like to know is

1) Do I tell the O/R about this account or leave it unused until I am B/R???And explain this account is for use after B/R?

Thanks a lot

Sugar x

Thanks Palomino and Fermi

I told the co op on the phone that I was going B/R next month and they were fine about it:confused: so I assumed it would be ok to leave it until the day I go b/r as I need an account for my wages to be paid into - I do not intend using it till that day..oh...I hope I will be ok, just been reading that most people here seem to have opened one before going b/r..and conflicting advice, some people say yes and some say no!!!!:confused:

I do not have any credit facilities on the co op account, no overdraught , nil.

Edited by Sugarbabe47
spelling/forgot a sentence