Having a CCJ set aside - costs?

Kefz
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 5622 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Just trying to put the final icing on the cake with paying off my past debts, and trying to have a CCJ set aside. The upshot is that 3 years ago out of the blue, a creditor put the account into the hands of a solicitor (well, debt collection outfit working out of a solicitors practice) who then put it into county court. Upon receiving the court papers, I spoke to the solicitors and agreed a payment plan to avert the legal action and made an immediate payment (May 2005).

I'm not sure what happened the month after (June 2005) but I think I assumed they'd just continue taking it off my card, but in July 2005 with absolutely no contact I received a letter from the court saying that the solicitors had entered for judgement by default and had been granting it.

For the 6-18 months after this I was in dispute with the solicitors (whilst continuing to pay), after that the communication went dead. Now there's a hearing for me to have the CCJ set aside at the end of the month, and I've entered the following evidence:

1) Letters from both sides investigating the likely loss of letters from one to the other

2) Letter saying that they did agree to settle out of court in May, didn't receive June payment and then went for the default judgement June/July (??? can you do that if you have settled, especially given fact #1 ?)

3) Letter from the original creditor refusing my CCA request last month on the basis that it is being dealt with by their solicitors (shouldn't have have passed the letter on instead)?

4) Explanation for the long delay in applying for set aside (i.e. attempting to resolve through communication, nasty working week to try and make ends meet etc)

Now, they've responded with a wad of paperwork and a refusal to not have the CCJ set aside - and now are trying to claim a silly figure per hour on top of what they believe they're owed for 'ligitation assistant's' time! Surely they can't claim costs on this even if I was to be refused the set-aside since my application isn't vexatious or anything like that?

What are people's thoughts about all of this since most people's experience of having CCJs set aside on this forum range from very straight forward to insanely difficult?

TIA!

Kefz

Hi Kefz

Dont know if you have looked here a lot of good advise re set asides :-

You should find all the information you need here:-

National Debtline England & Wales | Debt Advice | Factsheet 12 How To Set Aside A Judgment In The County Court

the court fee is £75 by the way!

Regards

Andy;)

We could do with some help from you.

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHER

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group - The National Consumer Service

If you want advice on your Topic please PM me a link to your thread

Hi Andy

Thanks for that mate - I've already gone through the information and put all the paperwork etc in - the hearing is at the end of the month.

Cheers

Kefz

hi kefz

to answer your question ref set asside

i had a ccj set asside last year, its quite straight forward.

it helps if the original creditor does not object to your application.

in court you sit at a table and the judge asks you why it should be set asside.

at the end of the day its up to the judge to set asside, not the creditor.

i think the talk about costs is just to frighten, nothing to do with them.

you have paid the court to decide.

i must say its very hard now to get a set asside with out a very good cause, but in your case take your correspondents with you to court.

have you sent the correspondents to the court with your application.

i say this because judges have made there mind up before the hearing on the evidence submitted. this shows you have done your home work and are not wasting the courts time by going over things again.

best to keep the judge in the right frame of mind by doing the work for him.

my application lasted no more than ten minutes and ccj gone from cra within the week.

good luck

Interesting, thanks for the info - do you HAVE to attend the court? The solicitors have already backed out of attending in person.

Edited by Kefz
extra info

From what I have read on other threads, you are advised that it is in your interests to attend. :)

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

Uploading documents to CAG ** Instructions **

Looking for a draft letter? Use the CAG Library

Dealing with Customer Service Departments? - read the CAG Guide first

1: Making a PPI claim ? - Q & A's and spreadsheets for single premium policy - HERE

2: Take back control of your finances - Debt Diaries

3: Feel Bullied by Creditors or Debt Collectors? Read Here

4: Staying Calm About Debt  Read Here

5: Forum rules - These have been updated - Please Read

BCOBS

1: How can BCOBS protect you from your Banks unfair treatment

2: Does your Bank play fair - You can force your Bank to play Fair with you

3: Banking Conduct of Business Regulations - The Hidden Rules

4: BCOBS and Unfair Treatment - Common Examples of Banks Behaving Badly

5: Fair Treatment for Credit Card Holders and Borrowers - COBS

Advice & opinions given by citizenb are personal, are not endorsed by Consumer Action Group or Bank Action Group, and are offered informally, without prejudice & without liability. Your decisions and actions are your own, and should you be in any doubt, you are advised to seek the opinion of a qualified professional.

PLEASE DO NOT ASK ME TO GIVE ADVICE BY PM - IF YOU PROVIDE A LINK TO YOUR THREAD THEN I WILL BE HAPPY TO OFFER ADVICE THERE:D

A question for you all if I may.

When applying for your set aside and submitting a N244, did you get it witnessed by a solicitor? I'm about to go for Halifax before the date set for their attachment of earnings hearing, No CCA, failed to comply with SAR, Late Charges, Over Limit Charges and PPI going back years.

Cheers

IC3

IC3GB

You can have it witnessed by a Sol or alternativly at Court.

Regards

Andy;)

We could do with some help from you.

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHER

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group - The National Consumer Service

If you want advice on your Topic please PM me a link to your thread

• 3 months later...

Just wondering if Kefz still visits and the result of this case, as I have an old one I want to get set aside for lack of CCA too!!

When you've had all the help you need, make sure you stick around to help others too!

Just think, if everyone left the site after they'd got their help, there might not be anyone left the next time YOU come back needing more assistance!!!!!!!

Hi Ker

I do indeed - to be honest, it went tango uniform unfortunately. Despite hearing that the judgement was not legitimate due to it being a judgement by default whilst under the CCA (not allowable) and with clear evidence including a letter from the solicitors firm of them actually admitting to coming to an agreement then effectively changing tack a month later, a letter was sent after the hearing stating under the Act which dictates set asides, I hadn't "shown enough evidence".

Just to make it more interesting, the judge slapped me for the costs of the other half at the required one hour of a paralegal's time to bind a document full of mostly irrelevant information, and obviously I lost the money required to begin the set aside process. Oh, and the letter duly mentions that there is no appeal process.

If I'm being honest I wish and I'd probably recommend to either negotiate with the firm to settle in full on condition of the judgement being set aside, or paid it off then set it aside in the hope that they didn't challenge it since they'd had their pound of flesh as it looks like I'm stuck with it.

Hope this helps

K