• Tweets

• Recommended Topics

• Our picks

• If you are buying a used car – you need to read this survival guide.
      • 1 reply
    • Hello,

On 15/1/24 booked appointment with Big Motoring World (BMW) to view a mini on 17/1/24 at 8pm at their Enfield dealership.  

Car was dirty and test drive was two circuits of roundabout on entry to the showroom.  Was p/x my car and rushed by sales exec and a manager into buying the mini and a 3yr warranty that night, sale all wrapped up by 10pm.  They strongly advised me taking warranty out on car that age (2017) and confirmed it was honoured at over 500 UK registered garages.

The next day, 18/1/24 noticed amber engine warning light on dashboard , immediately phoned BMW aftercare team to ask for it to be investigated asap at nearest garage to me. After 15 mins on hold was told only their 5 service centres across the UK can deal with car issues with earliest date for inspection in March ! Said I’m not happy with that given what sales team advised or driving car. Told an amber warning light only advisory so to drive with caution and call back when light goes red.

I’m not happy to do this, drive the car or with the after care experience (a sign of further stresses to come) so want a refund and to return the car asap.

Please can you advise what I need to do today to get this done. 

Many thanks 
      • 81 replies
    • Housing Association property flooding. https://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/topic/438641-housing-association-property-flooding/&do=findComment&comment=5124299
      • 161 replies
    • We have finally managed to obtain the transcript of this case.

The judge's reasoning is very useful and will certainly be helpful in any other cases relating to third-party rights where the customer has contracted with the courier company by using a broker.
      This is generally speaking the problem with using PackLink who are domiciled in Spain and very conveniently out of reach of the British justice system.

Frankly I don't think that is any accident.

One of the points that the judge made was that the customers contract with the broker specifically refers to the courier – and it is clear that the courier knows that they are acting for a third party. There is no need to name the third party. They just have to be recognisably part of a class of person – such as a sender or a recipient of the parcel.

Please note that a recent case against UPS failed on exactly the same issue with the judge held that the Contracts (Rights of Third Parties) Act 1999 did not apply.

We will be getting that transcript very soon. We will look at it and we will understand how the judge made such catastrophic mistakes. It was a very poor judgement.
      We will be recommending that people do include this adverse judgement in their bundle so that when they go to county court the judge will see both sides and see the arguments against this adverse judgement.
      Also, we will be to demonstrate to the judge that we are fair-minded and that we don't mind bringing everything to the attention of the judge even if it is against our own interests.
      This is good ethical practice.

It would be very nice if the parcel delivery companies – including EVRi – practised this kind of thing as well.

OT APPROVED, 365MC637, FAROOQ, EVRi, 12.07.23 (BRENT) - J v4.pdf
  • Recommended Topics

Helllppp - Honours Student Loans

xray2
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 5466 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

• Replies 90
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

they shoould have submitted evidence to you and the court 14 days prior. Have you got your bundle ready just in case, or are you still awaiting paperwork which the other party have yet to disclose?

Lula

Lula v Abbey - Settled

Lula v Abbey (2) - Settled

Lula v Abbey (3) - Stayed

hi,

we submitted evidence attached to our N244. We have asked for legible copies of the agreements, notice of assignment and copies of default notice they say was made this year. We have asked for strict proof.

They keep banging on about providing us with info under the CCA but we asked for it under the CPR. They have admitted copies of agreements are not signed by both parties but argue this does not matter because copies are not evidence and we have not been prejudiced by the fact that they are not signed by the other party and that they can omit from copy documents the signature under consumer credit regs 1983.

They have also admitted that copies are not legible in places but are legible in all material effects.

Further in letters they claim a default notice was sent on xxx/08 but we have one from almost 6 years prior obviously they cannot issue two so are now only claiming one.

The default notice also includes penalty charges so would this not mean it is unlawful?

If they have not provided anything under the CPR18, then request the judge to dismiss it.....

If they have admitted there are no copies, then the debt is unenforceable....you need to completely dispute the total debt !! statements aren't enough either as they can easily be falsified...I know of one cagger who put the opposition solicitors name and address using photoshop on some bank statements (not to defraud but simply to demonstrate that anybody can do it)....

Without a copy of the agreement with the prescribed terms they are stuffed...

They have also stated on their POC that they issued a default on xxxx and then in evidence admit to an earlier one within a 6 year time frame .. that means two default notices I know the CCA says a default notice can only be issued once but can't find the relevant part of the act grrrrr!

Do agreements covered by the CCA have to be signed by both parties to be enforceable and if so does anyone know the relevant section of the Act? We have been provided with copies but only one is signed by both parties.

Also notice of assignment there is not one I assume this comes under the CCA too anyone know the relevant section.

Do agreements covered by the CCA have to be signed by both parties to be enforceable and if so does anyone know the relevant section of the Act? We have been provided with copies but only one is signed by both parties.

Also notice of assignment there is not one I assume this comes under the CCA too anyone know the relevant section.

for an agreement to be enforceable, it must when placed before the court contain( Not embody) the prescribed terms per sched 6 col 2 SI1983/1553 and must be signed by the debtors or debtors if there are more than one

as long as the agreement conforms to this as a minimum that would be enforceable

with regards to the NOA, it is governed by the Law of Property Act 1925 and the law of Equity

i hope this helps

Thanks - I realised after I posted that I was after the Law of Property :oops:

As to the agreements they are pretty much illegible all 3 signed by the debtor but only one by the creditor. Had thought they had to be signed by both parties :mad:

Thanks again

Thanks - I realised after I posted that I was after the Law of Property :oops:

As to the agreements they are pretty much illegible all 3 signed by the debtor but only one by the creditor. Had thought they had to be signed by both parties :mad:

Thanks again

no probs, they may be also able to over come the illegibility issues by providing a typed copy if it goes to court

Hi

Its in court tomorrow :shock:. They are saying it is on microfiche does this constitute an original?

They have no notice of assignment or any real proof of purchase of the debt. They just refer to this is an example of what would have been sent!!

Also, they should have submitted evidence within 14 days of hearing to both parties but this only arrived today!

They have put in an N244 to amend their POC due to admin errors but have made admin errors on the N244!

argggghhhhhhhh :rolleyes:

PS They have also claimed to have issued TWO default notices within a 6 year period - is this not unlawful too?

Edited by xray2
added question

Hi

Its in court tomorrow :shock:. They are saying it is on microfiche does this constitute an original?

They have no notice of assignment or any real proof of purchase of the debt. They just refer to this is an example of what would have been sent!!

Also, they should have submitted evidence within 14 days of hearing to both parties but this only arrived today!

They have put in an N244 to amend their POC due to admin errors but have made admin errors on the N244!

argggghhhhhhhh :rolleyes:

PS They have also claimed to have issued TWO default notices within a 6 year period - is this not unlawful too?

they would only need to issue a notice of assignment if the debt was sold to another company other than the original creditor

it is not unlawful to issue more than two defaults either, the 1974 act allows that where a default is served and the breach contained within the default is remedied then the default is taken to have never happened, so it follows that they would need to issue a second, third fourth etc depending upon how many breaches there have been and how many times its been remedied

they can over come this issue of failing to provide the evidence quite easily and the judge would most likely just allow it as this is not an uncommon thing that happens , plus if it prejudiced you in any way it could be over come by an adjournment to allow you to read the evidence before the hearing is restarted

what admin errors have they made?

it seems that much of what you have put forward is easy to over come and would not place their claim in any real difficulty

The first default was not remedied and a second issued therefore I thought this breached the DP laws? Also, penalty charges have been added and interest accrued on them all included in default notice.

The original creditor did indeed sell the debt but we have no notice of assignment of that debt and it would appear neither do they.

In the N244 the solicitors have ticked they are the claimant - does this mean there are now two claimants or is this another admin error. On there order they have asked to change dates they had made in error but they have also changed the amount too. The POC do not conform to para .3 of Practice Direction 16 of the CPR in that it does not contain account numbers, methods calculated, copies of agreements and default or proof they own the loans.

What if the signature is illegible or blacked out?:?
Well, tricky one

if it is illegible and cannot be shown as being your signature then you may have an argument, however, if i were counsel for the claimant i would seek under cross examination to show that there is , on the balance of probabilities, sufficient evidence to show that the signature was infact yours

there are many ways in which this can be done and remember lying in court would put you in major difficulties;)

Well, tricky one

if it is illegible and cannot be shown as being your signature then you may have an argument, however, if i were counsel for the claimant i would seek under cross examination to show that there is , on the balance of probabilities, sufficient evidence to show that the signature was infact yours

there are many ways in which this can be done and remember lying in court would put you in major difficulties;)

So virtually all credit card agreements are likely to be held to be enforceable then? They don't actually have to produce a signed piece of paper containing the prescribed terms anymore ? All they have to do is say that on the balance of probabilities you would have signed that reconstructed agreement or illegible copy which they have kindly provided the court a transcript of that just happens to contain the prescribed terms? So the Creditors are right with the stance they are taking on the Basil Rankine case inn that executed agreements begin as the Credit Agreements which are sent to cardholders when they receive their credit cards.

So virtually all credit card agreements are likely to be held to be enforceable then? They don't actually have to produce a signed piece of paper containing the prescribed terms anymore ? All they have to do is say that on the balance of probabilities you would have signed that reconstructed agreement or illegible copy which they have kindly provided the court a transcript of that just happens to contain the prescribed terms? So the Creditors are right with the stance they are taking on the Basil Rankine case inn that executed agreements begin as the Credit Agreements which are sent to cardholders when they receive their credit cards.
with all due respect, that is not what i said at all!!!!

If the signature is illegible, then, and lets not forget the fact that a signature is normally quite illegible anyway by virtue, counsel would first off ask you "is that your Signature?" yes or no. if you say you are not sure, then the next question is going to likely be " do you have any thing which we can compare them to?" now its likely that you will have signed something and /or the counsel will have something with your signature on it to compare to and all im saying is that the other side may be able to tip the scales to convince the judge that it is your signature

now on the other hand if the signature is just a black blob then of course the other side are indifficulty that goes without saying

How many times do i need to say it,in fact i have counsels opinion that supports this, Rankine is a judgment which was made without care and in error on so many points

In a QC's opinion, it is easily distinguished and the fact that rankine was a serial debt avoider didnt help insofar that it clearly annoyed the judge who went out of his way to hammer him

I shake my head when i hear people say Rankine this Rankine that

ARGH:mad:

It is a poor case, period and may i point out that it does nothing to overrule Wilson et al which were made in the Higher Courts

Hi,

My husband is in court today arriving there from his place of work. Postie has just delivered a letter from claimants solicitors which is a statement of costs 'by way of service' for the forthcoming hearing and is dated yesterday. Is this not intimidation they haven't even won the case yet? Is there no protocol on this? Should I get this letter to my husband so that he can show it to the judge?

Thanks

I would advise getting this to him so he can take it to court and query this with the judge straight away. You don't want his silence to be viewed as acquiescence by the claimants.

Nationwide-A&L-Halifax 1-Student Loans Company-NatWest-Virgin Media-Link-Capital One ALL WON!

Thames Credit -statute barred sent 13/11/08

BCW- prove debt letter- 14/08/08

Apex- CCA 14/08/08

Redcats UK- SAR 14/04/09

Call Serve- CCA 14/08/08

Littlewoods- no CCA letter 03/09/08- Lowells now

Wescot- CCA 19/9/08

Capital One/Debitas- now with Lowells

Any opinions are without prejudice & without liability. All information has been obtained from this site. If you are unsure, please seek professional advice. .

Thanks Emma :) I think they are really trying to intimidate. They had not lodged ANY evidence in the required 14 days and yesterday one day before the hearing it all turned up in a big A4 file but they have simply submitted our evidence - we now this because one of the letters had my hubby's rantings scrawled on it - they have submitted it as if there own the numpties!

Felt really calm when I got up too :(

Thanks again :)

There is no reason to stop being calm- they are just playing silly b******s.

I think the judge would like these tactics (and probably some contrived fees for photocopying your husband's evidence) brought to his attention.

Good luck.;)

Nationwide-A&L-Halifax 1-Student Loans Company-NatWest-Virgin Media-Link-Capital One ALL WON!

Thames Credit -statute barred sent 13/11/08

BCW- prove debt letter- 14/08/08

Apex- CCA 14/08/08

Redcats UK- SAR 14/04/09

Call Serve- CCA 14/08/08

Littlewoods- no CCA letter 03/09/08- Lowells now

Wescot- CCA 19/9/08

Capital One/Debitas- now with Lowells

Any opinions are without prejudice & without liability. All information has been obtained from this site. If you are unsure, please seek professional advice. .

Ok feeling better now thanks guys. The numpties made an error on their POC so they made out an N244 to amend said POC which btw we have not heard anything about from the Court (we only knew they had done this because the solicitors told us but when we filed ours we had to hand a copy into the court for the solicitors so a bit odd) Anyway they have admitted the POC was an admin error on their part yet have added charges to the costs for the N244 and for serving it of almost £200 even though they admitted this was an admin error they were responsible for!! If the Court were allowing their N244 to be heard would we not have had confirmation of this?

Right am off to get ready to meet hubby with this letter :)

Will let you know how we get on, thanks to everyone on CAG over the last few months don't know where we would have been without you all :)