• Tweets

• I don't think I've ever seen someone appeal a mags court decision on fare evasion, JK, but as you say in this case TiredDodo has pleaded guilty. It is possible to challenge, as below. HB Appeal a magistrates’ court decision: Overview - GOV.UK WWW.GOV.UK How to challenge a decision by a magistrates' court. Including how to get a fine reviewed, if you did not know about your case, how to appeal to the...  
    • Update! I have now opened the mail from Barclaycard. I am assuming that their letters were prompted by my confirmation to them of my change of address, which I had advised them of twice. They are treating my change of address notification as a "General Data Protection Regulation Right of Access Request"  and state that I have made a "Right of Access Request. They are asking me to provide valid indentity documents! I have made no such request and am minded to ignore their request for extra information? I should add that their letters were sent to my correct current address!
    • Are you allowed to appeal if you plead guilty?   I know you appeal the sentence, but the criminal record formed from your guilt would surely remain?   I'm not sure if your able to appeal a crimianl record if you plead guilty are you?
    • DX: I did not pursue Link after I got the CCJ amended to monthly payments. Pretty sure the CCJ does not mention reviews, I do have the CCJ somewhere, I will have to look it up in storage. It is as mentioned on the thread you referenced  in your post #28. The Barclays loan was taken out in September 2004 for 60 months! Current Balance remaining approx £2K. On checking back my past correspondence with Barclaycard about this loan, there was a history of them ignoring my letters and offers to pay, and I even had problems in obtaining their bank account details for them to accept my payments! I have received strange correspondence from them too, one referring to insurance which I did not have. They seem very disorganised! Barclaycard told me to pay "Masterloan" a while back and I now receive regular statements and arrears notices from "Personal Loans from Barclaycard" clearly marked Masterloan, they changed the account reference number! I have never requested a CCA on this account. I advised them of my change of address last September, but they are still sending, until today, statements etc. to my old address! I have received 2 letters from Barclaycard Loan today though, not opened them yet!!
    • Yes, a few months ago. They wrote back saying there was no CCA and the debt was unenforcable. I then started gtting bombarded with threatening emails from their 'litigations team' which have been sent to spam. I've now recieved the letter before claim with the PAP form enclosed, but still no CCA or even a letter from them to say the debt is deemed enforcable. Thank you.
  • Our picks

• If you are buying a used car – you need to read this survival guide.
      • 1 reply
    • Hello,

On 15/1/24 booked appointment with Big Motoring World (BMW) to view a mini on 17/1/24 at 8pm at their Enfield dealership.  

Car was dirty and test drive was two circuits of roundabout on entry to the showroom.  Was p/x my car and rushed by sales exec and a manager into buying the mini and a 3yr warranty that night, sale all wrapped up by 10pm.  They strongly advised me taking warranty out on car that age (2017) and confirmed it was honoured at over 500 UK registered garages.

The next day, 18/1/24 noticed amber engine warning light on dashboard , immediately phoned BMW aftercare team to ask for it to be investigated asap at nearest garage to me. After 15 mins on hold was told only their 5 service centres across the UK can deal with car issues with earliest date for inspection in March ! Said I’m not happy with that given what sales team advised or driving car. Told an amber warning light only advisory so to drive with caution and call back when light goes red.

I’m not happy to do this, drive the car or with the after care experience (a sign of further stresses to come) so want a refund and to return the car asap.

Please can you advise what I need to do today to get this done. 

Many thanks 
      • 81 replies
    • Housing Association property flooding. https://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/topic/438641-housing-association-property-flooding/&do=findComment&comment=5124299
      • 161 replies
    • We have finally managed to obtain the transcript of this case.

The judge's reasoning is very useful and will certainly be helpful in any other cases relating to third-party rights where the customer has contracted with the courier company by using a broker.
      This is generally speaking the problem with using PackLink who are domiciled in Spain and very conveniently out of reach of the British justice system.

Frankly I don't think that is any accident.

One of the points that the judge made was that the customers contract with the broker specifically refers to the courier – and it is clear that the courier knows that they are acting for a third party. There is no need to name the third party. They just have to be recognisably part of a class of person – such as a sender or a recipient of the parcel.

Please note that a recent case against UPS failed on exactly the same issue with the judge held that the Contracts (Rights of Third Parties) Act 1999 did not apply.

We will be getting that transcript very soon. We will look at it and we will understand how the judge made such catastrophic mistakes. It was a very poor judgement.
      We will be recommending that people do include this adverse judgement in their bundle so that when they go to county court the judge will see both sides and see the arguments against this adverse judgement.
      Also, we will be to demonstrate to the judge that we are fair-minded and that we don't mind bringing everything to the attention of the judge even if it is against our own interests.
      This is good ethical practice.

It would be very nice if the parcel delivery companies – including EVRi – practised this kind of thing as well.

OT APPROVED, 365MC637, FAROOQ, EVRi, 12.07.23 (BRENT) - J v4.pdf

Capquest and old Egg Banking CCJ from 2007

Dwayne Dibbley
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 3459 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hi, i have received a letter from capquest to which i promptly sent back a CCA letter.

Here is there response:

http://x-centric.net/capquest1.jpg capquest letter

http://x-centric.net/capquest2.jpg egg card agreement front

back of egg card agreement shows my signature and date correct ( forgot to scan back )

what would be my next step? should i now send a Subject Access Request along with £10?

Many Thanks for all your help

Nigel

• Replies 129
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest forgottenone

Only learning so do be patient with me. But I can't see the credit limit in the agreement itself? Isn't that one of the prescribed terms?

i see what you mean as they state:

3. Limit We will tell you from time to time the Approved Limit we have set and, if different, the Individual Limit which you have chosen for the Account

but no actual figure as you mentioned

They either have to show the credit limit or tell you how they will tell you what is. So this is OK.

What about all those APRs in bold. They seem to be very keen on showing these. Perhaps they think the APR is a presribed term. It is not.

The prescribed term is the interest rate to be charged and this cannot be the APR which is an approximation or contains compulsory charges e.g. cash advance fees.

If you take out th APRs do you have a rate to be charged for each category. I think not. If not the agreement is not enforceable.

I think there is also a very real problem with accepting monthly rates as a prescribed term. The 1983 Regs require the interest rate to be charged to be shown

as an annual rate and I think it reasonable to argue that this applies to the prescribed terms as well.

As far as I can see in the post tranfer period you have three categorie of interest rates.

1)Purchases 1.019% monthly APR12.9%.

2) Cash APR15.2% only

3) Cheques APR15.2% only

The prescribed term interest rate to be charged is missing in 2) & 3). Is a monthly rate as shown in 1) sufficient as a prescibed term.

In 1) the actual rate charged is 12.937p.a. which is an APR of 12.9% so you see how they are using the allowed rounding of the APR to get a little

more out of you and why they do not wish to use the annual rate charged- this would give away their game. Curious that the APR for cheques is the

same as for cash despite the difference in the fee rate.

Edited by pelham9
Poated before finish by mistake

I was of the opinion that APR was acceptable as the interest rate, for the prescribed term. I hope I am wrong, as I have just received the same from Egg.

Please note: I give advice, in good faith, based on my reading and experience. Please satisfy yourself, that any advice given is accurate in content before acting upon it.

A to Z index

http://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/forum/site-questions-suggestions/53182-cant-find-what-youre.html

I think this may make it improperly executed.

Please note: I give advice, in good faith, based on my reading and experience. Please satisfy yourself, that any advice given is accurate in content before acting upon it.

A to Z index

http://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/forum/site-questions-suggestions/53182-cant-find-what-youre.html

Ok I will put the argument as I see it. I will deal with running account credit only.

Schedule 1 and Schedule 6 if the CCA Regs (1983)

Schedule 1 lays down a framework of how a CCA should be writtten. I have not seen an agreement yet which contains all the requirenents as in Schedule 1.

For instance the interest rate to be charged should be a per annum rate and the way this rate is applied should be shown. All credit cards have to have a monthly rate

as otherwise they could not calculate interest to be applied monthly. In order to calculate the monthly rate there must be a formula to do this from the annual rate

They never show this formula. Often they do not show an annual rate at all but only a monthly rate.

So if every agreement I have seen is improperly executed is it unenforceable? Judges are the ones who decide and it would seem

that the are unlikely to make an agreement unenforceable

on a 'technical' matter. So unless you can persuade a judge that errors in the agreement according to Schedule 1 are vital he will most probably side with the banks.

So although the requirements of Schedule 1 should be in agreements in practice the the banks are likely to get away with almost anything.

( I might add that judges are rarely mathematically adept and they do not understtand all the implicaions of what banks are doing).

Schedule 6.

This shows the prescribed terms. These are terms in an agreement which must be accurately shown.

If they are not there or inaccurate the agreement is not only improperly executed but judges are not allowed to make it enforceable.

Parliament has put a complete bar on making an agreement enforceable if the prescibed terms are missing or inaccurate.

It is vital to understand this difference between the two Schedules.

1) If Shedule 1 terms are inacccurate or missing though the agreement is improperly executed you will have to persuade a judge in a lomg

and difficult debate that he should make it unenforceable. You are not very likely to succeed.

2) If Schedule 6 terms are inaccuraate or missing the judge has no alternative to making the agreement unenforceaable.

In a running account agreement one of the prescribed terms is the interest rate to be charged.

There is no requirement in Schedule 6 that this should be an annual rate or that the method of application should be shown though of course Schedule 1 requires ths information.

APR - is this the rate to be charged?

No it is not because

1) It is an approximation. If the rate to be charged is say 16.949% p.a. the APR ia allowed to be shown as 16.9%

i.e. rounded to one decimal place This figure is not an accurate expression of a rate of 16.949%.

2) the APR is an expression to represent the total cost of borrowing. So if the rate to be charged is 16.949 and a fee of £100 p.a.

is also charged the APR will be very much higher than 16.949% so it cannot express the rate to be charged. This applies to cash advances and cheque use for he Egg agreement.

Though in most intances Shcedule 1 requires the APR to be shown the fact that the APR is not in the prescribed terms list in Scedule 6

means that if it is missing or inaccurate it is unlikely to matter.

The APR cannot by definition be the rate to be charged so if it is the only rate shown in any section of your agreement ( as it is)

a prescribed term is missing and the agreement is not only improperly exacuted but it is automaticlly unenforceable.

If I were you I would not immediately a challenge the enforceabiliy of this agreement with Egg/Capquest. I would simply ask the followig questions.

a) For purchases What is the rate to be charged expressed as a rate per annum?

b) for cash advances what is the rate to be charged expressed a

i) a rate per month

ii) a rate per year

c) for cheques , The same questions as in b)

Post up their answers which will almost certainly be evasive or incorrect.

This is of great interest pelham9, and I will look further into this aspect, also of note is the lack of Cancellation Notice, even though Egg are always internet based agreements,

and are electronically signed.

I know peterbard did a lot of research on this last year, but it is practically impossible to find the posts amongst the thousands on the CCA thread.

A further slight technical issue is the disclaimer at the foot of the agreement;

This agreement will only be binding on us when we have completed and are satisfied with our final checks and other searches

I believe this may fall down on section 59 CCA.

59 Agreement to enter future agreement void

(1) An agreement is void if, and to the extent that, it purports to bind a person to enter as debtor or hirer into a prospective regulated agreement.

Edited by rippedoffagain

A to Z index

I should hold fire for a while, more input needed on this thread I feel. pelham9 has some good points, and there are a couple of technicalities I would like opinion on.

I think you will find that a DN has been issued.

A to Z index

I would agree with ROF that you need to go slowly but still ask the questions of EGG.

I personally would like to see their answers and I would expect them to tie themselves in knots trying to answer. No need at present to say you think the agreement is unenforceable - just a friendly enquiry!!

Rippedoffagain.

You will let us know you get from your consultations?

My posts above do contain points that are not very current in these forums. This may be a small break through which may be significant. Rather like the much bigger point that CCA agreements are unenforceable if there is no agreement or prescribed terms.

A to Z index

Doh! Thanks for pointing a newbie in the right direction!

I had a Co op Visa card, first of all they reduced the credit limit for no reason, then when the card expired they did not issue a new one. When I queried this they said they had closed my account and each month the credit limit would reduce to the outstanding balance. I had no letter advising me of this and when I phoned, the snotty moo at the other end said it had been done because of the poor conduct of my account. Five late payments in 10 years!?! Incidentally the statement still shows the previous credit limit but I have no card!

Anyway, I am rambling now, but all I wanted to say was I had not thought of the point of the variation of agreement/new agreement/ reduced interest scenario so I will bring this up with them I think. Not that I expect any joy as whenever I write to Co-op I just get a letter saying they are looking into it nd will get back to me and after several like that, it all goes quiet!

I would agree with ROF that you need to go slowly but still ask the questions of EGG.

I personally would like to see their answers and I would expect them to tie themselves in knots trying to answer. No need at present to say you think the agreement is unenforceable - just a friendly enquiry!!

What would i ask egg in a friendly enquiry?

Yes a poor choice of words! - perhapse I should have said an 'innocent' enquiry.

Just write to them and ask for the various interest rates as I indicate in my post. I think it would be best if you do not say that you dispute the CCA at the moment.

Get their answers first - they are very likely to did the hole deeper.

3.59 Do I have to state the APR?

Sch 1 paras 15 and 16 require that all credit agreements (other than those under which the total amount payable (TAP) does not exceed the total cash price) must state the APR in relation to the agreement. This must appear as part of ‘Key Financial Information’.

Quote:

8.13 Do I have to state the APR?

The APR is not included in the list of prescribed terms in Sch 6. This means that if the APR is missing or incorrect, the court is not precluded by s127(3) from making an enforcement order, provided that the rate of interest is stated if required (see Q8.6).

However, the agreement would be improperly executed (see Q1.19), and so would be enforceable against the debtor only with a court order. S127(1) requires the court to dismiss an application for an enforcement order if it considers it just to do so, having regard to prejudice caused to any person by the contravention in question and the degree of culpability

Quote:

8.8 How must the rate of interest be expressed?

The interest rate must be expressed in the manner required by Sch 1 para 10, as amended, if the agreement is to be properly executed. Under Sch 1 para 10(2) if there is more than one rate of interest on the credit to be provided, the agreement must indicate all the rates applicable together with details of when each rate applies – see Q3.34. All rates must be quoted on a per annum basis – see Q3.39.

However, Sch 6 was not itself amended by the 2004 Regulations, and in the OFT’s view there was therefore no extension of the categories of absolute unenforceability. As such, agreements may satisfy the ‘prescribed terms’ requirements of Sch 6 even if they do not also meet the new standards imposed by Sch 1 para 10(2). Failure to meet those standards will render the agreement improperly executed, and so enforceable against the debtor only with a court order, but will not in the OFT’s view make it wholly unenforceable.

Sorry to be a thicky, but where are these bits actually quoted from, I couldn't seem them on the link you sent me, that seemed to be the actual act rather than the plain English version. Thanks :confused:

Edited by BlueSquirrel

Consumer Credit (Agreements) Regulations 1983 as amended by the 2004 Amendment Regulations

Prescribed terms.pdf

A to Z index

DD, have you asked Egg if they hold the original agreement. I did and they said they DID NOT as they had scanned the information for easier access. Also the FSA did not require them to keep the original. ( Not sure what that has to do with anything.)

Its the OFT that draft the regulations as far as I know. The quotes are from Consumer Credit (Agreements) Regulations 1983 as amended by the 2004 Amendment Regulations, question and answers. I understand these to be an in depth explanation of the regulations designed for use by the industry.

A to Z index

No OFT are regulators -they do not draft the regulations which come via the Secretaryy of State and Parliament.

a) In advertising the APR can be shown 0.1% below or 1% above the calculated APR - the correct APR. This is the 'extended' APR and must be designated %APR . So in adverts if the APR is calculated as 15% it is permissable to use APR 15% but %APR 14.9 or %APR 16 if an advertiser so wishes. (why would he though?). The OFT documents make no mention of %APR.

b)In agreements however the APR must be shown correctly if it has to be shown. Schedule 1 Of 1983 Regs say that the APR must be shown in all types of agreements. However Schedule 7 1A says

For the purposes of these Regulations, it shall be sufficient compliance with the requirement to show the APR if there is

included in the document--

(1) a rate which exceed the APR by not more than one; or

(2) a rate which falls short of the APR by not more than 0.1;

so the APR does not have to be shown if one either (1) or (2) are true. The other rate cannot be the APR . These tolerances do not affect the value of the APR but whether or not it has to be shown.

OFT have got it wrong again.

Edited by pelham9
Posted in error before finished