Bank Account Problems...?

toftdan
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 5737 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

My partner is struggling to get a bank account.

She is currently in dispute with Lowells re a debt that they claim she owes (nearly £12k), and intends to fight this all the way.

Unfortunately though she currently only has a savings account with cash card, and is unable to obtain a normal bank current account with debit card. She's tried applying at Lloyds (where she has the savings account), Barclays, HSBC and even Halifax, although there are no branches in Jersey where we reside.

Can anyone advise what she needs to do in order to get a bank account? As you can imagine, it's making things particularly difficult for her.

Any advice gratefully accepted, even if you can just point me in the right direction.

Thanks

Hi everyone

Thanks for your swift responses.

I do have an account, but unfortunately with HSBC, whom my partner has the disputed debt with, having been passed onto Lowells, as they do. So I'm not sure the value in applying with them.

Unfortunately we don't have building societies in Jersey, so the likes of Abbey and Halifax are a bit of a no go.

Any other possibilities. I don't think she's tried NatWest yet, but should we keep on applying at different branches? Wont all these credit checks just make her credit history look even worse?

I'm considering using lessthanperfect.co.uk to apply for one for her. Has anyone had any experience of them?

Look forward to hearing your thoughts.

Edited by toftdan
Removed commercial link

I'm considering using lessthanperfect.co.uk to apply for one for her. Has anyone had any experience of them?
There are several of these sort of companies about (a friend of ours recently used one). All they do for your £49 is to provide you with information about accounts and products from High Street banks which you could have got yourself by visiting the bank. They certainly can't get you an account you couldn't have got yourself.

Ok, thanks for the response Steven, it's interesting to know!

So can I ask which bank your friend ended up getting his account from, so that I can apply directly with them?

Thanks

I'll happily sell you my Barclays Account.... comes at a price tag of approx £3,000 and will get you an account with a balance of £0 (once I have paid in your fee :D), excessive charges, a chance to be charged even more from 18th August with the all singing all dancing overdraft reserve - ooh and not to mention ignorance and unattentive customer service.

Bargain eh?

Very drole!

Well Barclays are out of the question as we've already tried there.

All just seems daft that it's so difficult to get an account if you've had historical problems. My partner hasn't had any debt for years, earns £35k a year, and still can't get a bank account. Something really must be wrong with the system.

How can these people ever show that their financial situation has improved if they can't get an account!!??

Thanks for your help Cloecat!

Just tried A&L, unfortunately don't accept applications from Channel Islands. Next up, Co-op!

Have you had any experience with them at all?

According to yahoo local search - there is in Jersey (amongst all those above and also some I have never heard of):

Citibank

RBOS

Bank of India

Alpha Bank

Abbey National

http://uk.local.yahoo.com/Channel_Islands/Jersey/Banks_%2526_Financial_Institutions

A lot of the above are not commercial banks as such, and deal more with private banking, as Jersey is an offshore Financial jurisdiction.

Not looking likely on the Co-op front either!! Doh!