Debt advice please

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 5718 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hi all, thanks for all the info in the stickies and threads, but I'd like some specific advice if anyone can offer it?

My situation is that I rent houses in student areas, and hence move every year. Three to four years ago I got into financial difficulty and ran up debts on a few credit cards and an unsecured loan but moved out of the house and forgot about the debt. Of late I've got a good job and I now own a car and have applied for (and got) credit which is running along happily.

However, it seems that when I apply for credit / insurance, my details have been passed onto the companies to which I owe money. Where do I stand legally on this? Can I be served with a CCJ to an address that they only found because of an application to a different company in my name?

I haven't contacted any of the companies that are sending me letters, and I'm quite happy to leave it that way. I don't mind negative marks on my credit history as my current bank is more than happy with how I run my accounts with them, and I have no plans to take out any loans in the short to medium future.

Am I right in thinking that they cannot send bailiffs round? What about agents? The reason that I don't want anyone visiting is that they have my parent's address (I keep my bank account, driving licence, etc., registered there), and I really don't want my parents to find out!

The basic facts are:

Good debt: car £10,000; credit card £500; couple of household items on buy now, pay nothing for 12 months.

Bad debt

(1) Credit card #1 (Egg), £400 or so owed, I received a few letters a while back, but then they just stopped.

(2) Credit card #2 (CitiGroup), £1500 or so owed, I have just started receiving letters regarding this

(3) Student account with overdraft (Lloyds), £2000 owed, I have received a few letters about this, but then moved out of the property.

(4) Unsecured loan (Egg), £6500 or so owed, I have heard nothing about this.

Please provide any help that you can, all advice is appreciated!

Presumably the letters you have received have been sent to your parents address? While your credit rating might be unaffected what about that of your parents?

Bailiffs do not get involved until after a County Court hearing when judgment has been made for the claimant - and then only after a warrant of execution has been issued.

Obviously you are morally obliged to pay your debts, and, since you say you are now in a position to do so, then you could approach all the creditors and pay them off if you can or make arrangements for scheduled payments if you can't.

If you don't want to pay off your debts then they will become statute-barred after six year. I would think, though, that you may end with some CCJs at your parents' address followed by some bailiff visits. I'm sure your parents would be very grateful for those...:(

I really do appreciate all those 'thank you' emails - I'm glad I've been able to help. Apologies if I haven't acknowledged all of them.

You can also ding my gong if you prefer. :)