Mercedes = Rust

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 4859 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

I hate to say this, but I do understand the decision taken by Mercedes. None of the pictures you have shown is corrosion that has started from the "inside" of the metal. All of the pictures show corrosion that has started from the outside. What you show has been started from penetration of the paintwork by moisture that has worked it's way inwards. This would have been initiated by tiny chips or scratches. Top coats are waterproof, primer coats are not.

I disagree

Even the Mercedes bodyshop that carried out the inspection quoted that "there was clear evidence of defective paintwork on EVERY panel"

The best example is the bar along the top of the engine

Physically impossible for it to be damaged by stonechips or collect moisture yet it is by far the single most rusty part.

The rusty area above the REAR numberplate is another place that is well protected from direct moisture contact and cannot be easily damaged yet the rust is well underway

The Mercedes rust issue is well documented, it is no secret and definately not exclusive to my vehicle

what year is safe rust wise - Mercedes-Benz Owners' Forums

I also must point out once more that my VW which is similar in age/mileage and also has stonechips displays zero rust

I assume it has non waterproof primer also - so where does the difference lie?

I have found that a lot of people are reluctant to admit that Mercedes can make mistakes despite overwhelming evidence that their products of recent years have been poor

I believe the ML Jeep was awarded the "Most Unreliable Vehicle" award during a recent JD power survey - That speaks volumes.................

Edited by energysolutions

Don't get me wrong, I agree Mercedes went through a terrible phase of their cars being particularly prone to rust. I have seen many Mercedes around the 2000-2001 years with rust holes through the front wings. This would be caused by corrosion from underneath the paint, as Mercedes at the time were using a cheaper metal for their cars. However, I stand by what I said for the pictures of your van. Almost all the corrosion shown is due to breakdown of the top coats of paint and moisture working it's way inwards. The guarrantee covers you corrosion starting in the metal and working it's way out.

Don't get me wrong, I agree Mercedes went through a terrible phase of their cars being particularly prone to rust. I have seen many Mercedes around the 2000-2001 years with rust holes through the front wings. This would be caused by corrosion from underneath the paint, as Mercedes at the time were using a cheaper metal for their cars. However, I stand by what I said for the pictures of your van. Almost all the corrosion shown is due to breakdown of the top coats of paint and moisture working it's way inwards. The guarrantee covers you corrosion starting in the metal and working it's way out.

Even BELOW the bonnet in the warm, dry, physically protected engine bay?

I have even found rust at the base of the drivers seat! I`m pretty sure it has never came into contact with moisture................