Rental property problem

wee_student_saver
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 5177 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hi there,

I'm posting on behalf of my friend who is in a sticky situation. Basically she is moving into a rented house with her friends. She hasn't moved in yet, but her friends have and have been there for a couple of weeks.

Before moving in, the landlord promised that the whole house would be cleared and cleaned and all potential problems would be fixed. Of course, when I heard this, I knew it probably wouldn't have been the case.

When they got the keys they found the house in a far worse condition than before, none of the promises were kept, the house is very dirty, has misc items and rubbish spread around the house, has dangerously fitted electrical sockets, broken windows, mould, some sort of snail infestation and various other nasties.

From my understanding my friend should write to the landlord and give them a chance to have all the problems fixed however the extent of the problems probably couldn't be fixed without having to move out for at least a few weeks, if the landlord even concedes that it is necessary. The house is virtually uninhabitable and the only people left living there now are the ones who have no where else to go (yet).

What I'd like to know is, as they have signed their rental agreements, can they get out of them? I haven't read the agreement but surely the people cannot be forced to live in such a disgusting house, nor should they pay for it if they are "forced" to live elsewhere?

Thanks if anyone can lend any advice.

• 1 year later...