Default from 3 Mobile - but they cancelled my direct debit!

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 5721 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hi,

I needed to access the internet from my workplace, where there was no phone line. I saw an advert from 3 mobile about their mobile broadband package, so gave them a call.

I asked about network coverage in my area, and I was told it would be fine. I accepted the modem on the basis that I could return it if it was found to be faulty. Delivery time was approximately 2 weeks from the initial call to set up the account as they had just started providing the service and were struggling to meet demand.

When the modem arrived, I set it up with my laptop, but couldn't get network coverage - anywhere. I called 3 straight away to return the modem, and was told by the first woman that I spoke to that this was not a problem, she would cancel my account and direct debit for me. I was then transferred to their returns department, where it all started to go wrong.

I was told that I was outwith the 14 day return period, and that I wouldn't be able to return the modem. I explained that I had only just received the modem, and that the lag had been caused by them taking t weeks to send it to me. At that point I was told he would have to discuss the matter with his supervisor and would get back to me.

Two days later, I received a call telling me that they had not reached a decision, and that they would be in touch shortly. A week later, I received a call telling me that I could return the modem, and that packaging would be sent out in the post to allow me to do this.

The packaging never arrived, despite me calling several times over the next couple of weeks to ask where it was.

I gave up trying, and presumed they simply weren't bothered about getting the modem back, until a debt collection agency started calling me several times a day asking for money as I had not been keeping up my payments with 3 Mobile. Remember, that it was 3 who had cancelled the direct debit, not me.

I contacted 3 again, who again told me that they would send out packaging to allow me to return the modem. Again, this never arrived. All paperwork received with the modem had the correct address on it, so it wasn't being sent elsewhere.

Everything went quiet after this, so I presumed the matter was over, until I checked my credit report through creditexpert, to find that I had a default from 3 Mobile!

This is now causing me massive problems getting a mortgage, and I feel that this is all so unfair. I really don't know where to go from here. Any advice would be very greatfully received.

Brian.

Speak to Experian (credit expert) and raise a Consumer Query outlining your side of the story and asking 3 to investigate the matter further stating that as the modem was not used you expect them to stop chasing for payment and delete the entire account from your credit file (any search would remain). If you don't get any help from them then send a letter to their Customer Relations Department.

Have you tried speaking to 3 again to get the matter resolved? State that its urgent as it is affecting your mortgage application.

Right....

I've been on the phone to 3 for the last hour - and they've agreed that the default should never have been placed on my credit file as it was they who had cancelled my direct debit, and not a case of me missing payments as the default shows. They're going to apply to have the default removed, however this may take up to thirty days.

Seems like I'm getting somewhere, however it's not going to resolve itself overnight, and I'm probably going to lose the flat I reserved on Tuesday.

• 4 weeks later...
Default now removed from my credit file and no evidence of me ever having an account with 3.

Had my mortgage application re-scored and accepted...winner!

CONGRATULATIONS!!! Glad it all worked out for you!

If in doubt, contact a qualified insured legal professional (or my wife... she knows EVERYTHING)

Or send a cheque or postal order payable to Reclaim the Right Ltd.

to

923 Finchley Road London NW11 7PE

Click here if you fancy an email address that shows you mean business! (only £6 and that will really help CAG)

If you can't donate, please use the Internet Search boxes on the CAG pages - these will generate a small but regular income for the site

Please also consider using the

C.A.G. Toolbar

CONGRATULATIONS!!! Glad it all worked out for you!

Have you asked 3 for some compensation as it was their cockup that caused the problem - you might be able to extract a few quid as a goodwill payment out of them if you write them a letter. I would ask for something the order of £50-250. Lay it on about all the extra phone calls you had to make, all the stress and inconvience especially about having your mortgage declined and see where it gets you.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

This does not constitute legal advice and is not represented as a substitute for legal advice from an appropriately qualified person or firm.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------