CapQuest Hell - Please Help :(

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 5072 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

hello

I have today recieved a letter from Capquest demanding full and immediate payment on a debt that they have bought from Abbey. Also, today I have recieved a letter from Abbey saying they have sold my debt to Capquest.

Both letters have the same date on.

Both letters have the same phone number on?

Both letters are on paper that resembles recycled toilet paper...

The main problem is though, that until today I have never heard from Capquest before and I have never heard from Abbey about an outstanding debt! I don't bank with them and, to my best knowledge, I dont owe them any money.

Could this be a [problem]?

I read the problems the capquest hell poster has put up and it's a bit concerning.

I have emailed their collections team and stated I will make no payments until I have a full and detailed statement from Abbey and they have emailed me back via an automated response stating they will get back to me in 72 hours...

Thanks for any advice anyone can give...

Kevin

Okay CapQuest have been on a potential stat barred buying frenzy, it's a very good smash n grab way of making easy money.

"If a lender allows time to pass without receiving any payment an action for recovery may become barred.

Under the Limitations Act 1980 the time limits are

• in simple contracts, 6 years
  • in contracts under seal, 12 years.

If the debtor acknowledges the debt in writing or makes a part payment within the original limitation period, then the time limits start to run again from the date of acknowledgement or the date of payment."

If you don't want to deal with them over the phone, don't call them just respond in writing, and might I add always send at least recorded delivery so you have records that your response has been received.

A quick call (always recorded) stating the debt is stat barred, should be enough. If you get any further response from them, it's enough for an OFT complaint. Always, ALWAYS write down dates and times of when you spoke to someone and their name. "My ref # is..., do the DPA (if you don't it won't get resolved), this account is stat barred, can you put it in writing it's been closed."

70% of the people you will talk to at CapQuest will be rude but there are some good people there, most likely only working there because they need a job. Sadly it's not a [problem], they have bought these accounts from Abbey HQ. Hope any of this has helped!!

Oh and just to confirm this...the OFT do state, it's not illegal to collect on stat barred debts.

Just unlawful then, and regardless of the OFT its still a safe bet to ignore SB issued requests for monies........ anyone daft enough to persue would be hit with costs and damages order (depending on track) :rolleyes:

• 3 months later...

hi ya

write to them telling hem you have not a clue what there talking about, and can they issue you with copies of the agreement, and if they keep ringing you up, give en false info for the security questions and they will hang up....

cheers:):)

hope this isnt waffle! – and it’s a long one…

I have been dealing with CapQuest for some time (previously I was paying a company called FT&C, then had a letter telling me their name had changed)

Unfortunately I had been paying them via standing order / direct debit - they have ‘lost’ 6 month worth of payments which they made me pay in full and double my monthly payment (I’m still trying to get a refund of these 'missing' payments!)

The only reason I did a 'Google search' and found the grumble text website (excellent info on DCA), was due to yesterday a horrible Scottish bloke (Mr Campbell) who called me and said I’d missed a payment in Feb. and that I had tried to cover it up by making a double payment this month...

to clarify events so far:

Nov 2004 I had threats of court etc off solicitors – wrote letter with offer of 325 per month for both accounts, this was accepted but to be reviewed in 6 months.

Sept 2005 letters threatening court (I hadn’t missed a payment) they said I had a 6 month plan with then and had failed to contact them to update it – they said they had no record that I had been paying and had to pay the missing 5 months payments and double my offer to £50 on one account and the other could stay at £25

Feb 2006 letter to say they had a prob with their system and no payment could be taken…they would take 2 in March

March 2006 double payment taken as planned – then a call from Mr Campbell saying, I had missed a payment and tried to cover it up by paying 2 this month lol…after a very heated conversation with him he offered me a settlement I said I was interested and could he put it in writing? He said I had to pay now, I pointed out that if a random guy had called him demanding money would he pay with no questions – he said yes if he owed the money! He went on to say he’d call every day until I paid and I was fool not to make payment then!

I then found the Grumbletext, UK consumer complaints - post online and via SMS text message! web site and under CapQuest read that many people have been having trouble…it was suggested I send the standard do not acknowledge letter requesting Deed of assignment & statement of account. (I also stopped my direct debit to them)

Had various letters stating they were on the case…30 days were up so I asked for my payments back – they went silent, I then like a fool re-sent the 1st letter and extended the 30day…I know I know my bad…I hadn’t found this site then!

June 2006 They have now sent me for one account a signed copy of the application form to say bank may offer me an account…but not that they had and I’d accepted etc.

June 2006 They send me a letter form Halifax to say the debt was sold but it is missing info such as sold dates etc and looks like they have got a template that they have edited, and its supposedly from Halifax and has a photocopies signature with no contact number on it…very unusual for a bank don’t you think?

July 2006 Letter threatening legal action

July 2006 a personal letter signed by a real person saying:

We thank-you for your recent correspondence the content of which has been noted.

In response to your request to provide a full refund of all monies paid towards the above mentioned accounts we write to advise that this will not be forthcoming. CapQuest Debt Recovery Ltd has been handling these accounts since November 2004 and at no stage have you indicated the accounts were disputed or fraudulent. Your regular payments to the accounts and the request for a full and final settlement figure are an acknowledgment of the debts and as such you would be aware of the original agreements and the terms attached. Please be advised that we have requested a further copy of both agreements from HBOS PLC but respectfully remind you that liability has been admitted for the debts with the agreed payment plans negotiated with you under separate cover. Please note that the interest applies to the accounts has been refuded whilst the payment plan is in place but whilst no payments are being received, the interest will be applied at a rate of 1%per month.

As requested, we have forwarded on the 22 June 06 a copy of the letter dated 22 November 04 issued by HBOS PLC advising you your accounts had been sold to CapQuest Debt Recovery Ltd and thus providing you with notice of assignment. We note that the automated system generated a letter advising that the accounts had been returned to HBOS PLC. Please be advised this is not the case. This was a system error. CapQuest Debt Recovery Ltd will be dealing with these two accounts and the handling will not change.

Please find attached your £1.00 postal order which is not required. We request that you contact our Collections Debt on the telephone number 08700843501 withiin 7 days to rearrange your payment plan or should you require any further information please contact the collections administration department on telephone number 08700842515. We note that you have already taken advise from your solicitor and avise that we will be happy to correspond with them upon receipt of their contact details and you signed authority to discuss theis (their spelling mistake) issue with them.

The copy agreements will be forwarded as soon as we receive them. In the meantime your accounts will be put on hold pending a response from either you or your Solicitor.

Your Sincerely

Anne McClaren

Collections Administration Department

I’m now at a loss as what to do next – I’m sure they are calling my bluff as the deed of assignment they talk of is addressed to me with June 22 date on it and no dates of assignment just blanks – like they have got a template and not filled it in as they didn’t know what it should say….its also a photocopied signature Euan McPherson with no job title (on Halifax headed paper though)

The ‘deed’ they talk of has a line at the bottom saying I can confirm the amount outstanding on your account as at was £323.23…now they say they forwarded me a COPY of their letter dated 22 nov 04, so why is it dated Jun 06 from Halifax themselves? And why would Halifax make errors in a template and miss out dates as this is the important part? Finally the letter from Halifax says the balance was 323.23, but this is what CapQuest say is owed now (it was £600+ when I started paying it)– why would the deed have this total on it, surely it would be the total from when it was sold?

But by the same token they could be serious and if they have the info I have to start paying again!

I was so confident about it until today!

Please help me ?

• 2 months later...

i have had letters from capquest and have asked them for a caa etc and today had a letter back saying i have to pay them £10.00 for them to do this and also send copy of passport/driving licence and other proof of who i am. do i have to send them this stuff. i feel that there are asking for it so there can try and forge the information i want.

They are trying to charge you for a FOI request, that I presume you have not asked for. Insist that they send you a copy of the cca that you requested there is only a £1 charge for that, send the £1 and tell them it is only to be used for them complying with your lawful request.

regards

Please remember our troops, fighting and dying in our name. God protect them.