Paragon Personal Finance

Please note that this topic has not had any new posts for the last 5180 days.

If you are trying to post a different story then you should start your own new thread. Posting on this thread is likely to mean that you won't get the help and advice that you need.

If you are trying to post information which is relevant to the story in this thread then please flag it up to the site team and they will allow you to post.

Thank you

In October 1997 I took out a £10k loan with Paragon Personal Finance. Unfortunately, at this time interest rates were very high (circa 25%)

With a divorce and failed business, I got into trouble with the debt, to the extent that in July 02 they put me in touch with an outside debt recovery company, who I sat down with and prepared a list of my income and outgoings. We agreed a repayment plan of £70 a month and he advised me that interest on my account would be frozen.

In December 05, I asked for a statement of my account because I wanted to know how long I had to continue repaying this debt.

They sent me through a statement of my account and I have seen that they interest has not been frozen. From July 2002 until December 05 the interest charges were considerably higher than my repayments and the balance has consequently risen from £5643.90 at it's lowest point in November 01 to £10,966.96 in Dec 05, including fixed charges of £590 and "Third Party Costs" of £305.51.

I have spoken with Paragon who have advised me that the collector had no authority to suspend interest on the account and that they had no record of this.

I foolishly trusted Paragon and their appointed representative and didn't request this in writing.

I have since been through another financial review with Paragon (both over the phone and in writing) and they have agreed to accept £40 a month and to reduce the interest rate so that my £40 covers the interest charge.

After having paid over £13k to date, I am at my wits end over this debt as I can not see any way out of their grasps.

Can anyone offer me any advice or help whereby I can make an arrangement where this account can finally be paid off?

Hello Martyn, not much fun for you at the moment, eh?

This is just to let you know there is someone here to share your problem with and tomorrow I'm sure there will be some others along to offer help.

Who are the debt collection company? Are you still paying them? Did you pay them a fee, or are they taking a percentage of what you pay? Have you got a copy of the original loan agreement?

More information is needed before anyone suggests a possible solution to your problem, but I would suggest that you contact Consumer Credit Counselling Service or Payplan. Both these bodies offer a free service and might be able to help you minimise your outgoings. This is especially useful if you have other debts and are finding it difficult to keep them all (or any of them!) happy.

Elsinore

BANK CHARGES CAMPAIGN CONTINUES - PLEASE SIGN THIS PETITION

Aktiv Kapital £300.00 SETTLED IN FULL

Capital One £741.47 SETTLED IN FULL

Citi Cards £1221.00 SETTLED IN FULL

LTSB(personal) £3854.28 SETTLED IN FULL

LTSB(business) £7487.97 SETTLED IN FULL

What poor education I have received has been gained in the University of Life

Thanks Elsinore.

Paragon have never passed the debt on and all my payments have been to them. They have just applied charges of £305 for an independent debt collection agency to agree a payment plan with them.

I am going to send out a DPA letter, to see whether there are any notes on their systems regarding freezing of interest.

If there isn't, I was considering the CCA approach and if a copy of the agreement is not forthcoming, demanding a refund of the interest and charges applied whilst I was making the payments under the agreed reduced payment plan.

Has anyone else ever had any experience of this?

• 2 months later...

Hi I asked Paragon why they agreed to freezing my interest and they still added it on each month... they have not replied? I have a copy of the letter they sent to CAB (who were acting on my behalf) 7 seven years ago agreeing to freeze interest charges and according to my statements they didn't stop them at all.. Wonder what the court will make of that!

Lloyds TSB Progess

first letter sent 10th June

Received reply 20th June

Second letter sent 30th June

Revieved final response 7th July

Filled in claim on line 30/07/06

Recieved Acknowledgment of service 4th August

Defence submitted 6th September

Allocation Questionnaire due back 20th Sept

Sent my Allocation Questionnaire back 10th Sept

Got there copy of Allication Questionaire 23rd Sept

Court date set for 25th Jan '07

Paragon Finance Progress

Sent first letter 24th August 2006

No reply so second letter sent 10th Sept 2006

Received letter back saying they are going to investigate my claim

Offer made by Paragon for full ammount plus interst! Rusult!!!

Cheque recieved *Won*

Any thing I write on this site is only an oppinion as I am not a solicitor or legal whizz!