Ripped off by letting agency?

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 5721 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hello guys, I have been reading for a while now but never needed to post, but today something nasty happened to me.

i will shorten it to the main points..

I wished to rent a house out in a little village, and my friend put me in touch with a lady he has known for 25 years, she had a 3 bedroomed house in the village i wanted to go too and said she would be happy for me to view it.Even though i was on benefits...

She gave me the number for the letting agency and i wrang them to arrange a viewing.the gentleman on the phone was very impolite, once he knew i was on benefits. a few days go by and we arrange to meet the guy to view the house, He turns up opens the door and simply says there it is in an arrogant manner, after looking around my wife and i say we would like to rent it and how much is required before we can move in. the answer was £595 witch was £495 rent and £100 admin..

So cut to today, we turn up at his office with the said £595 and he took 2 hours to complete some forms at no time did he say he needed any more money (2 hours) we passed all the credit checks ect. he takes our money then says oh yes next monday i will need another £495 i explained that i didnt have that sort of money and said i would not be able to rent the house after all and would like a refund,he then said i could have 495 but he was keeping £100 for admin charges, my question is can they do this or is there a way i can get this refunded?

What was the further £495 for?

7 years in retail customer service

Expertise in letting and rental law for 6 years

By trade - I'm an IT engineer working in the housing sector.

Please note that any posts made by myself are for information only and should not and must not be taken as correct or factual. If in doubt, consult with a solicitor or other person of equal legal standing.

Please click the star if I have helped!!

You cant get the entire lot refunded, as you are liable for the cost of the credit checks. £100 sounds steep for these, but not overly so. I think you accept it and move on personally.

7 years in retail customer service

Expertise in letting and rental law for 6 years

By trade - I'm an IT engineer working in the housing sector.

Please note that any posts made by myself are for information only and should not and must not be taken as correct or factual. If in doubt, consult with a solicitor or other person of equal legal standing.

Please click the star if I have helped!!

Speak to the old lady to see if she knows how the agent is treating people.

If you are on benefits, does that mean you intend to use housing benefit? If so I thought they would pay your rent in advance for you - an agreement from then to do so is enough for most agents.