Pension Credit - Entitlement date?

bobwat48
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 5721 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

My wife reached the age of 60 0n 10th April, and therefore ceased to be entitled to Incapacity Benefit. Therefore, from that date forward she was entitled to 'State Benefit'. However, since she had not been resident of this country until 1999, 'State Benefit' was reduced to £13.26 per week, however, we were informed that she would qualify for 'Pension Credit'.

We made enquiries as to how to apply for 'Pension Credit' circa end of April, and were told that as we had mobility problems, an Officer would visit our home to assist with completion of the application forms. That Officer visited our home and completed all the forms circa 15th May 2008.

We have today received notification from DWP that 'Pension Credit' is due and has been awarded, however, the commencement date for entitlement is 16th June 2008.

Surely, we should be entitled to the benefit from the date we became entitled, i.e. 10th April 2008, and surely our entitlement should at least be back dated to the date of application for the benefit. In addition, we should not be penalised by loss of benefit for the period between our enquiry about the benefit, and the date their Officer was able to visit us for completion of the application forms?

Any ideas anyone? I am about to complete an appeal form concerning the date the benefit was awarded.