LA charging me £94 for opening a door

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 5750 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hi,

My LA are trying to charge me £94 for opening a door. I left my keys back home once and couldn't gain access to my room. I rang the LA and asked if they would open it the next day sometime. I asked if I would be charged as i'd only forgot my keys and did not need a replacement set. They said I wouldn't be charged. 2 days later my keys arrived from back home but now the LA are saying that I have to pay the callout charge of £94.

I feel this is unfair and that I shouldn't have to pay. I did not need immediate access to my room and so could of just waited for my keys to arrive if i new I was going to be charged.

Where do you think I stand on this? I don't think I should have to pay.

Guest Old_andrew2018

HI Joe,

I think they will chase you for the charge, you can request a break down of these charges, in the end you'll have to pay.

A little off the point, I recall a neighbour hitting a lamp standard out side his property, a public spirited citizen reported this to the police, no action taken I believe,

The county council however charged in excess of £200.00 to replace light bulb, fees were charged for two workmen, the vehicle, the light bulb, I'm not sure if vat was charged.

The point is it will have cost something for people to attend, a cost for the replacement key, I expect that is what you have been charged for.

Andy

Edited by old_andrew2007
typo

If they categorically stated on the phone that you would not have to pay, then you should refuse to pay on this basis.

7 years in retail customer service

Expertise in letting and rental law for 6 years

By trade - I'm an IT engineer working in the housing sector.

Please note that any posts made by myself are for information only and should not and must not be taken as correct or factual. If in doubt, consult with a solicitor or other person of equal legal standing.

Please click the star if I have helped!!

Guest Old_andrew2018
If they categorically stated on the phone that you would not have to pay, then you should refuse to pay on this basis.After reading some threads I have taken advice in those threads and record everything, without evidence its hard to prove what was said

Joe who are the LA, do you have access to a tentants handbook, or terms and conditions.

Andy

LA are yourstudenthomes. The handbook stated that if keys needed replacing then there would be a charge of £80, if at the weekend then extra charge. Mine was at the weekend so thats why its £94 but I didn't need the keys replacing, just letting in.

Old andrew - agreed. I think that in the first instance the OP should refuse to pay, but yes obviously if it was going to end up as far as court(which it wouldnt) he should probably just bite the bullet and pay. OP, do you have the name of the person you spoke to? Have you asked this specific person why they said you wouldnt be charged and you then were?

Please note that any posts made by myself are for information only and should not and must not be taken as correct or factual. If in doubt, consult with a solicitor or other person of equal legal standing.

I don't remember who I spoke to but I told them on the phone first that I did not need replacement keys and just needed my room opening and they said I would not be charged. I have a witness to this phone conversation.

I then rang up and was told about this charge. I got the name of the person I was speaking to and he sort of agreed that the charge was a bit unfair but there was nothing he could do and suggested writing a letter to the manager.

They told me I was charged because they sent out a locksmith. I told them he wasn't a locksmith because he had a spare key, but they said he still charged as a locksmith.

I would simply write to them informing them that you are not paying the charge, as you were informed at the time of arranging that you would not be charged. As such, you expect them to remove the charge with immediate effect.

This ok for a letter...

Dear XXX

I contacted yourstudenthomes on Friday, 25 July 2008 and spoke to XXX. He informed me there was a £94 charge on my account for having someone open my room at XXX on Sunday, 27 April 2008.

I ask that you remove this charge with immediate effect as I was told when I called that there would be no charge for a callout, only for replacement of keys as stated in the yourstudenthomes information pack and I did not need my keys replaced. Had I known there would be a charge I would not have asked for someone to come and let me in as my keys were being delivered on Monday, 28 April 2008.

I look forward to a positive reply within 14 days.

Sincerely,

oh as a side note I was planning on sending the LA and LL a LBA and completed N1 form on 1st August if they havn't returned my deposit in full by this date. What should I do about this charge? send it along side the LBA or as a separate issue?

Cheers