Can't cancel Sky

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 4996 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hi,

I got officially divorced some time ago. However, my ex-wife is still mooching off me by having Sky charge my credit card for just over 20 quid a month for cable/satellite (stupidly, I had set up an account in her name, with me as the person responsible for payment). I wanted to stop it, but Sky says because the account is in her name, they need permission from her. The credit card company says they need authorisation from Sky/a matter between Sky and me. The credit card company says even if I terminated my account with them, i'd still be liable for the payments.

How can this be? Will I be paying Sky until I die or is there a way out of this?

Report your credit card as lost/damaged and cancel all authorisations on it (for safety, you understand. :razz:)

If the contract is in her name, then the c/c company are talking out of their backside. It would be like saying that because I helped my neighbour by paying her bill by c/c and she gave me the cash when she was stuck, I would be forever liable!!!

Tell your ex (if you are still in talking terms) and warn her that as you have cancelled your c/c, she'll be getting cut off unless she gives them a valid card for them to take payment.

Fully agree with BW. It is not up to the CC to say who you pay and who you don't.

If you have any other direct payments coming from the card, you can start those again when you receive your new card.

Post 1 bookie is clear, cancel/ lose the card but the payment still goes through. I would write to sky with the account number and your card number clearly stating that you are withdrawing your consent for them to use the credit card for payment as the bill is not in your name. Should they then take another payment from the card, then report them to your credit card company with the copy of the letter you have.

FSA Waiver on Bank Charges:http://www.fsa.gov.uk/pages/Doing/Regulated/Notify/Waiver/pdf/dir_quart_0709.pdf

If the Sky account is in your name it should be possible to update/change the account details in which the payment comes from (ie. an account in your sole name) once it has changed over, just cancel it.

Capitalism is the legitimate racket

of the ruling class.

Al Capone

Just to be clear, the account is in her name. Sky said to me they can only take instructions from the account holder. So writing a letter to them would fall on deaf ears. However, I will try "losing" my credit card and see what happens. I may also write a letter to Sky just to see what their official response is.

Cheers.

But gunner101, if you withdraw consent for them to take the money off your credit card, then the bank will have to treat the payment if it goes out, as fraud. Slight difference in where I am coming from on recurring payments.

EDIT: Credit cards have more protection on fraud then Debit cards.

FSA Waiver on Bank Charges:http://www.fsa.gov.uk/pages/Doing/Regulated/Notify/Waiver/pdf/dir_quart_0709.pdf

But gunner101, if you withdraw consent for them to take the money off your credit card, then the bank will have to treat the payment if it goes out, as fraud. Slight difference in where I am coming from on recurring payments.

EDIT: Credit cards have more protection on fraud then Debit cards.

I agree yourbank, but it was painted to me as the quirkiness of the law rather than having anything to do with commonsense. I will give these ideas a try and see what happens.

The only other way apart from what I have suggested is lying and stating that your credit card has been stolen.

If you report it lost/damaged then the credit card company replace the card with exactly the same card number. They cannot stop recurring payments on the card.

When it is stolen/used fraudulently they change the number across the middle and advise you to advise all payment providers of that change.

I think saying it was lost is sufficient as a lost a card could hypothetically fall into the wrong hands, and thereby be treated as a stolen card. Just don't want to imply a (fictitious) 3rd party was involved and cause potential hassle down the line.

Not correct, "I have lost my card and cannot find it".

"my wallet was stolen with my credit cards in it".

There is a big difference. And there is a difference in which he card is replaced accordingly.

Please can I ask that you contact your credit card provider, and ask if you write a letter to Sky withdrawing consent from them to debit your credit card, and it is ignored(and you have proof) that they will accept a fraud case on your behalf?(that is stealing by stealth by the provider, ie SKY).

gunner101, I have a link as what I suggested you do.

BBC NEWS | Programmes | Moneybox | Warning over credit trap

To the right it has a link to listen to Martin Lewis, he has advice which is similar to me(cos I know what I am talking about, lol).

• 1 month later...

ok, here's an update for anyone still interested:

i wrote a letter to Sky and I contacted my credit card company and claimed my card was stolen. Anyway, Sky wrote back saying they cannot take instructions from someone who isn't the account holder and the monthly charge has filtered down to my new credit card.

Back to square 1 I guess.

Report the transaction as unauthorised. You have removed your authority for the payment to go through. Simple as. Write to the CC and state as such and any payment requests made by Sky must be declined as you will not be held liable.

Whatever I post is my opinion and should be taken as such, an opinion. While it is what I believe and is offered in good faith, it should not be taken as a statement of truth

Unfortunately whilst not wishing to support Sky, as the OP originally set up a continuous credit card authority, only Sky or the person named as the account holder can put a stop to this. This is the reason you ought to never set up a continuous credit card authority, instead use a standing order or direct debit as these can be stopped with ease.

That is messed up :confused:! I was in a similar situation 2 months back, but with a needy ex room mate and for BT phone line. I used a HSBC account at the time, and cancelled the payment even though the line was on her name. I just phoned HSBC up, got to a person that handles direct debits / standing orders and told him to cancel the BT charges, it was all done in less than 2 minutes over the phone. The then told BT of the problem and they just started to pursue my ex room mate for payments now.

As bookworm said (2nd post) the c/c company are wrong... its like you've got a lifetime burden for paying someones bills. Perhaps you could pursue your ex wife for the charges, as well as previous charges if she's refused to cancel the payments with your card. I'm sure in your divorce settlement it didn't include paying her Sky bills for life right? Or did it :shock:! Don don dawnnnn....:)

Why not write to ur ex requesting payment of past payments be made to you and the DD to be switched to her account. If she refuses then send her an LBA and then if needed sue her

skb

Victory over Lloyds £890

Click!

Victory over Vodafone: default removal

click!

Victory over Lloyds PPI claim £2606 click!

Barclaycard lazygoing - £580 + £398 contractual int at 17.7 % click! (Received partial payment £110 21/11/06)

The GF's battle against RBS click! stayed awaiting the end of the world

Why not cancel the card entirley and get another credit card form another provider

Was about to suggest the same thing. Open a new account if you can, transfer the balance over to that account and then close the account.

Problem solved

All my posts are made without prejudice and may not be reused or reproduced without my express permission (or the permission of the forums owners)!

17/10/2006 Recieve claim against me from lloyds TSB for £312.82

18/10/06 S.A.R - (Subject Access Request) sent

03/02/07 Claim allocated to small claims. Hearing set for 15/05/07. Lloyds ordered to file statement setting out how they calculate their charges

15/05/07 Lloyds do not attend. Judgement ordered for £192 approx, £3 travel costs and removal of default notice

29/05/07 4pm Lloyds deadline for payment of CCJ expires. Warrant of execution ready to go

19/06/07 Letter from court stating Lloyds have made a cheque payment to court

• 1 year later...
The only other way apart from what I have suggested is lying and stating that your credit card has been stolen.

If you report it lost/damaged then the credit card company replace the card with exactly the same card number. They cannot stop recurring payments on the card.

When it is stolen/used fraudulently they change the number across the middle and advise you to advise all payment providers of that change.

sorry i just had to add a comment about you saying a lost card does not get changed, i work in a lost & stolen debit/credit card company (sentinel) cards whether thay are lost or stolen are always changed however if its just a replacement card like expired or wear and tear, then the card number remains but obly on credit cards all debit cards chan numbers just the last 4 digits, also even if the card number is the same the expiry date and signiture pannel 3 digits always change too

if you do report the card lost or stolen you may end up getting into debt id advise goign to citizen advice and ask someone who could help you

good luck !! :)

Karen:p