Tax Credit Enquiry

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 5677 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Why would tax credits need anything more than proof of your income, proof that your children live with you (if appropriate) and proof of any childminding paid?

I don't understand at all what your rent, phone bill or credit card would have to do with them. I'd be inclined to phone and ask why they need them.

RMW

"If you want my parking space, please take my disability" Common car park sign in France.

Speak to them on the phone. Find out why they need all that stuff, then if you're happy, explain that you no longer have them and can't afford to get copies. See what they say.

RMW

"If you want my parking space, please take my disability" Common car park sign in France.

Hi Blackambermay

We've just had a letter through too asking for our 'actual' income. I'm a bit concerned as I'm pretty sure I put actual rather than estimated on the form, so I don't know why they'd need this again - plus, my OH has his accounts done by an accountant, and last years aren't sorted yet and won't be for a while, so we can't give them this!

I do my own accounts, so I'm just re-checking in case I made some monumental error I missed, then I'll give them a ring and check.

I'd suggest you do this too as reallymadwoman mentioned. It will stop you worrying yourself about it, and you can properly explain everything to them. If you're not confident about phoning, explain it all clearly in a letter.

If yours is anything like mine though, they've given until the 7th to respond, but sent it 2nd class on the 24th (so it only reached me yesterday), and enclosed a 2nd class envelope to get it back to them! So, if I did write I'd be sending it by Special Delivery to ensure it got there in time, even though it would put me out a few quid.

You'll probably find it's something very simple and nothing whatsoever to worry about. It would just be far better if they could include something to this effect in the letters they send out rather than putting the fear of god into you:rolleyes: My letter came from somewhere called Imperial Courts, and I had a massive panic before realising it was a place rather than an actual court!

Time flies like an arrow...

Fruit flies like a banana.

I've just had another thought...

We had to give almost exactly the information you've been asked for a couple of years ago, like you for the year before we were expecting them to need. The difference being we had a visit:eek:

It turned out we'd been told some total cr*p by the nursery my son was at, and as a direct result had been overpaid for about a year.

BUT - again, don't let this worry you. We explained what had happened , they were understanding and didn't behave as though we were trying to diddle them or lie to them (which we weren't I hasten to add!)

What ended up happening was they just arranged for the overpayment to be deducted from future payments at a low rate, which we are just coming to the end of now. Also, if the amounts they'd suggested would have caused us major financial issues, it could be spread out for longer. I'm not certain this still applies now, but I can't see that it wouldn't.

So, my personal view would be there's a simple explanation and for whatever reason they just need a bit more info. But, even if something has gone a bit screwy, as far as our experience went, it's not a massive problem (although it can still be worrying obviously). Again, this is where I feel they should be more transparent in their correspondence. That way you'd know if you need to be running round like a headless chicken or if they've just had a glitch at Tax Credits Central!

I am self employed and I received a letter a few months back telling me they would be investigating my claim, I ingnored it, and a few weeks back had another telling me the investigation was complete and no action was necerssary.

go to your local mp's office, they have a dedicated mp's phone line to tax credits and loads of clout!

when they phone things happen, I havent had any tax credit money for 2 weeks, and the local enquiry centre I got thrown out of this morning for losing my temper with the arrogant unsympathetic man I was dealing with who told me that the 2 payments totalling £350 that have been paid into an account that dosent exist have been lost and I will never receive them!

I am supposed to be getting a lump sum monday, and have been asked to go back to the mp's office to follow it up.

In my opinion they have no right to know about your credit card debt or any other debt, only your income.

As I am aware, a court order is required for you to disclose further information, other than your income details.

get help.

Hi everyone,

I seem to be in the same..or similar boat. i too have had a letter informing me they are enquiring into my award for 06/07. I was a student nurse at this time and working 16 hours a week. I received a bursary and was totally honest about it.

My concerns are;

I actually have a joint mortgage with my ex partner whom I have two children with, and a joint bank account to match...neither of which have anything to do with me other than my name.My children and I live with my mum and have done for years. My ex partner and I are very good friends and my children see him regularly, between us we have sorted our own finances. he does not pay me maintenance etc, he pays everything associated to the house.

I guess I am extremely concerned that this could be viewed as we are a couple and am really worried.

They have requested a HUGE list of info...even recent loan agreements / credit cards etc...employment contracts...everything other than a blood sample from my children or a DNA screen.

Any ideas what they are enquiring about?? I have not slept since sat when I got the letter. The officer woman said send everything in and she will make an appointment to see me within two weeks of receiving it...so now I have myself going to prison etc etc...even though I know I am innoncent...help help help

Sarah

hi

i too had aletter stating they were looking into 06/07 which i sent off all information.

but today received another letter wanting the same for 07/08, i am not worried as i have done nothing wrong but its extremely concerning that they would want details of loans, credit cards even tv licence.

i have not received anything back from the first enquiry as yet as that had to be in by the 12 th august but will update as soon as i do.

anyone else heard back from theirs yet??

just a quick update -

i rang my compliance officer this morning and was advised that they didn't actually need all 06/07 information but in fact it was 07/08 they needed so they are sending all my stuff back to me and now i have until the 22nd september to get all last years information of to them.

I am assuming that as I put a claim in for incapacity benefit in october 2007 (not the income support side of it) that this is why they are enquiring into my award.

I earned just over 6,000 last year but this year i expect it will not be more than £3000 but to be honest i don't really think that this will throw up any overpayments.

Whats worrying me is I was advised by tax credits when i phoned them to let them know that i was in receipt of incapacity benefit they said it didnt matter and wouldn't affect my claim. I now wonder if i was wrongly advised.

Has anyone heard anything about theres yet??? I have googled this like a mad woman and found loads of similar queries where nothing has happened as yet.

I seem to be getting mixed answers whenever i seem to phone, in between phoning the compliance officer i received all my stuff that i sent in for 06/07 with a covering letter saying that i need to send in nursery receipts also for 2006/07. After speaking to her this morning she advised that this was wrong but after phoning again I do indeed have to send in this stuff as well as all of 2007/08.

I have explained that I phoned nursery and the manager there told me that they only have copies of receipts going back to april 07 so god knows how i go about getting them beforehand, but she is more than prepared to write a written statement that states how much I paid every week and how often the children went in.

The only other issue that I have is that my bank statements are paper free and they only go back 6 months so I would only be able to print of feb 08 - april 08, again she said that this wasn't a problem and to send in one what ive got.

I guess the point that I am trying to make is if they really don't need this stuff then why ask for it in the first place???

I don't believe that this is a fraud enquiry as I have certainly done nothing wrong but it still has given me sleepless nights with worry.

Apparently after the compliance officer has received everything she will then review it and come out and visit me, again I don't see why..........

I am pretty sure that there are people out their commiting real benefit fraud yet they seem to have pin pointed the wrong ones out.

• 1 month later...

Hi again, I'm sorry this is still dragging on for you.

Is there any way you can approach anyone else at the nursery in order to get them to sign a statement to the effect that you definitely did have your child in a paid place there for the times mentioned?

It looks like you have a reasonable amount of proof that you were paying for the nursery - if the manager has emailed you promising you invoices I would think that's a good start as she's admitting you did pay.

The other thing is, have you contacted the Inland Revenue and directly addressed your concerns about security of your data, bringing up the debt collection that came about due to them leaking information, and why this is unacceptable in your situation? If you can explain your situation with regards to needing to keep your information and whereabouts private, perhaps they could help, or at least explain what the issue with your claim may be so that it can be resolved sooner rather than later?