• Tweets

• The text on the N1SDT Claim Form 1.The claim is for breaching the terms and conditions set on private land. 2. The defendant's vehicle, NumberPlate, was identified in the Leeds Bradford Airport Roadways on the 28/07/2023 in breach of the advertised terms and conditions; namely Stopping in a zone where stopping is prohibited 3.At all material times the Defendant was the registered keeper and/or driver. 4. The terms and conditions upon  entering private land were clearly displayed at the entrance and in prominent locations 5. The sign was the offer and the act of entering private land was the acceptance of the offer hereby entering into a contract by conduct. 6.The signs specifically detail the terms and conditions and the consequences of failure to comply,  namely a parking charge notice will be issued, and the Defendant has failed to settle the outstanding liability. 7.The claimant seeks the recovery of the parking charge notice, contractual costs and interest.   This is what I am thinking of for the wording of my defence The Defendant contends that the particulars of claim are vague and are generic in nature which fails to comply with CPR 16.4. The Defendant accordingly sets out its case below and relies on CPR r 16.5 (3) in relation to any particular allegation to which a specific response has not been made. 1. Paragraph 1 is denied. It is denied that the Defendant ever entered into a contract to breach any terms and conditions of the stated private land. 2. Paragraph 2 and 4 are denied. As held by the Upper Tax Tribunal in Vehicle Control Services Limited v HMRC [2012] UKUT 129 (TCC), any contract requires offer and acceptance. The Claimant was only contracted to provide car park management services and is not capable of entering into a contract with the Defendant on its own account, as the car park is owned by and the terms of entry set by the landowner. 3. It is admitted that Defendant is the recorded keeper of the vehicle. 4.  Paragraph 6 is denied the claimant has yet to evidence that their contract with the landowner supersedes  Leeds Bradford airport byelaws. Further it is denied that the Claimant’s signage is capable of creating a legally binding contract. 5. Paragraph 7 is denied, there are no contractual costs and interest cannot be accrued on a speculative charge.   I'm not sure whether point 4 is correct as I think this side road is not covered by byelaws? Any other suggestions/corrections would be appreciated.
    • Dear EVRi parcelnet LTD t/a evri   evri parcelnet isnt a thing also you say defendant's response which is a bit of a weird format.   Something like   Dear EVRi, Claim no xxxx In your defence you said you could not access tracking. Please see attached receipt and label Regards
    • Welcome to the Forum I have moved your topic to the appropriate forum  Residential and Commercial lettings/Freehold issues Please continue to post here.   Andy
    • Please provide advice on the following situation: I rented out my property to four students for 16 months until March 2024. Initially, the property was in very good condition, but now it needs extensive renovation. This includes redoing the bathroom, replacing the kitchen, removing wallpaper, and redecorating due to significant mould growth. The tenants also left their furniture on the grass, which is owned by the local authority. As a landlord, I've met all legal requirements. It seems the damage was caused by poor ventilation—windows were always closed, and heating wasn't used. There was also a bathroom leak fixed by reapplying silicone. I tried to claim insurance, but it was denied, citing tenant behaviour as the cause by looking at the photos, which isn't covered. The deposit barely covers the repair costs, or else I'll have to pursue money claims, which I've never done before and am unsure about its legal complications or costs. Any thoughts on this?
  • Recommended Topics

• Our picks

• If you are buying a used car – you need to read this survival guide.
      • 1 reply
    • Hello,

On 15/1/24 booked appointment with Big Motoring World (BMW) to view a mini on 17/1/24 at 8pm at their Enfield dealership.  

Car was dirty and test drive was two circuits of roundabout on entry to the showroom.  Was p/x my car and rushed by sales exec and a manager into buying the mini and a 3yr warranty that night, sale all wrapped up by 10pm.  They strongly advised me taking warranty out on car that age (2017) and confirmed it was honoured at over 500 UK registered garages.

The next day, 18/1/24 noticed amber engine warning light on dashboard , immediately phoned BMW aftercare team to ask for it to be investigated asap at nearest garage to me. After 15 mins on hold was told only their 5 service centres across the UK can deal with car issues with earliest date for inspection in March ! Said I’m not happy with that given what sales team advised or driving car. Told an amber warning light only advisory so to drive with caution and call back when light goes red.

I’m not happy to do this, drive the car or with the after care experience (a sign of further stresses to come) so want a refund and to return the car asap.

Please can you advise what I need to do today to get this done. 

Many thanks 
      • 81 replies
    • Housing Association property flooding. https://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/topic/438641-housing-association-property-flooding/&do=findComment&comment=5124299
      • 160 replies
    • We have finally managed to obtain the transcript of this case.

The judge's reasoning is very useful and will certainly be helpful in any other cases relating to third-party rights where the customer has contracted with the courier company by using a broker.
      This is generally speaking the problem with using PackLink who are domiciled in Spain and very conveniently out of reach of the British justice system.

Frankly I don't think that is any accident.

One of the points that the judge made was that the customers contract with the broker specifically refers to the courier – and it is clear that the courier knows that they are acting for a third party. There is no need to name the third party. They just have to be recognisably part of a class of person – such as a sender or a recipient of the parcel.

Please note that a recent case against UPS failed on exactly the same issue with the judge held that the Contracts (Rights of Third Parties) Act 1999 did not apply.

We will be getting that transcript very soon. We will look at it and we will understand how the judge made such catastrophic mistakes. It was a very poor judgement.
      We will be recommending that people do include this adverse judgement in their bundle so that when they go to county court the judge will see both sides and see the arguments against this adverse judgement.
      Also, we will be to demonstrate to the judge that we are fair-minded and that we don't mind bringing everything to the attention of the judge even if it is against our own interests.
      This is good ethical practice.

It would be very nice if the parcel delivery companies – including EVRi – practised this kind of thing as well.

OT APPROVED, 365MC637, FAROOQ, EVRi, 12.07.23 (BRENT) - J v4.pdf
  • Recommended Topics

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 5692 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Wait till those difficult teens hit 16. Then a few of them might end up working for a DCA :o Scary thought. DCA's employing chavs to do their dirty work.

Who's ready for a fight then? :D

These are video links to show how I deal with Debt Collectors.

Fly fishing for C.A.R.S

http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=zPtzK8FqE6k&feature=related

Frederickson International don't accept my card type

http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=eiZBULlWW6Q&feature=related

• Replies 115
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

And I thought knowing how to construct a petrol bomb was a valuable teenage lesson... I wish my Dad had taught me how to deal with DCAs instead.

Where has our little friend gone, anyway? Did he have a rough day or something?

Nationwide-A&L-Halifax 1-Student Loans Company-NatWest-Virgin Media-Link-Capital One ALL WON!

Thames Credit -statute barred sent 13/11/08

BCW- prove debt letter- 14/08/08

Apex- CCA 14/08/08

Redcats UK- SAR 14/04/09

Call Serve- CCA 14/08/08

Littlewoods- no CCA letter 03/09/08- Lowells now

Wescot- CCA 19/9/08

Capital One/Debitas- now with Lowells

Any opinions are without prejudice & without liability. All information has been obtained from this site. If you are unsure, please seek professional advice. .

I think I'm going to jump in here, since I got a load of stick in my first couple of posts for mentioning I work for a DCA; however, if you actually have a look at the posts I have made, you'll see that they are completely helpful and beneficial to the posters on here. Basically, just don't start the crap up again.

I'll answer a few questions people have posted, and if the OP has different answers, he can post his versions too.

Why do DCA's constantly break OFT guidelines and keep sending demands for payment on an account that has been shown to be in dispute and unenforceable due to the lack of a properly executed agreement?

1. On the phone, lack of proper training on OFT guidelines; 2. I don't know about in other DCAs but in the one I work in, if it is in dispute, it is clear it is and the account gets put on hold.

How much does your company pay for a debt that they buy?

Not much at all, somewhere in the region of 5% of the balance.

How much commission do they make on a debt that is assigned to them from the original creditor?

I don't really deal with the commission based accounts, can't help you there.

On how many accounts do you take legal action on? I've heard it's less than 4%

Again, I don't get involved in the litigation side of it, however I do know that about double the accounts have been sued this year as opposed to 2007.

So what about a DCA chasing someone for a debt that IS NOT THEIRS?

If I come across anything like this, I'll send the account to be re-traced and verified.

Threats by letter and telephone.

Failure to abide by OFT guidelines.

Failure to properly investigate disputed debts.

Failure to comply with CSA code of practice.

Failure to comply with Data Protection Act 1998

Is that acceptable IN YOUR OPINION?

How would you address a situation like that?

Don't know what you're trying to get at here, if you can explain a little more, I'll happily answer.

Why are you here and what is your motivation?

In work, I need to do my job. Out of work, I actually do enjoy reading up about debt and laws surrounding them and so on

How can you knife people in the back all day, and then give advice to people how to heal your wounds in the evening????????>

Simple, I don't knife people in the back all day ;);)

How is the CCA request/ failure to provide agreements going with your company?

If we can't obtain a CCA, or provide one, the account is moved onto one of the few complaints managers who will look at the account. Don't ask me what that means, because I honestly couldn't tell you. Probably a good thing that we don't get to see what happens in the end, because it means that you're not being rang by the normal collectors on the account.

Has it affected your companies profits yet?

In reality, extremely few people actually bother to request a CCA

So what does a DCA who receives a CCA request do, when it becomes apparent that it cannot be lawfully enforced?

As above

In my experience they pass it on to another DCA, or back to the OC. What is your organisations policy?

It's quite possible that the account will be re-sold, but we don't pass bought accounts back to the OC.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Let me just re-iterate, I did not start this thread, and although I do work for a DCA, have a look at the posts I've made - they're all constructive and helpful. Despite me only having made 48 posts so far, I already have 27 reputation points.:)

Edited by robinalexander

This post does not reflect the professional views of any DCA; it is purely the poster's own opinions and personal advice.

Thanks Robin.... so, in situations where the original creditor has already been CCA'd and defaulted.... then sells that account to your company without telling you (presumably), do you :

1. Go back to the OC and query it their sale of an unenforceable account by Absolute Assignment ?

2. Close the account and take the loss, or,

3. Re-sell it on yourselves by Absolute Assignment.... regardless of the fact that an account is not meant to be sold on by anyone in the first place, whilst in dispute ?

RA. I've always wondered, do you just get a list of names and (alleged) debts, or do you get a file with the paperwork etc? And by you I mean your particular DCA?

Nationwide-A&L-Halifax 1-Student Loans Company-NatWest-Virgin Media-Link-Capital One ALL WON!

Thames Credit -statute barred sent 13/11/08

BCW- prove debt letter- 14/08/08

Apex- CCA 14/08/08

Redcats UK- SAR 14/04/09

Call Serve- CCA 14/08/08

Littlewoods- no CCA letter 03/09/08- Lowells now

Wescot- CCA 19/9/08

Capital One/Debitas- now with Lowells

Any opinions are without prejudice & without liability. All information has been obtained from this site. If you are unsure, please seek professional advice. .

in situations where the original creditor has already been CCA'd and defaulted.... then sells that account to your company without telling you (presumably), do you :

1. Go back to the OC and query it their sale of an unenforceable account by Absolute Assignment ?

3. Re-sell it on yourselves by Absolute Assignment.... regardless of the fact that an account is not meant to be sold on by anyone in the first place, whilst in dispute ?

4. None of the above. Basically the debt cannot be enforced after a CCA request has defaulted until a CCA is provided. So the simple solution is that we request a CCA from the OC. The exact piece of law here is the Consumer Credit Act 1974 Section 77 Subsection (4)(a) and Section 78 Subsection (6)(a)

do you just get a list of names and (alleged) debts, or do you get a file with the paperwork etc?

Kinda in between. We will generally be given the name, address, phone numbers, balance, last payment date, last payment amount, account open date, default date, credit card number (if applicable), and sometimes, the goods ordered (if applicable). If we need a CCA, statements etc after we've bought the debt, we send to letter/email to the OC to request it. Once we receive it, we file a copy and send a copy out.

Anyone have any more questions? :)

This post does not reflect the professional views of any DCA; it is purely the poster's own opinions and personal advice.

We know the relevant law. So, you go back to the OC to request a copy of the credit agreement. There isn't one, as Priority One pointed out So, do you:

1. Go back to the OC and query their sale of an unenforceable account by Absolute Assignment ?

Hi all,

I would like to ask the general CAG user's opinions ie members in debt and those working within the industry, and the viability of placing some sort of CAG-generated avatar/symbol to differentiate between those who admit to working for a DCA/within the practise of debt collection, and want to provide inside info or help.

Some posts could be misleading, especially for newbies.

Not sure if this has been brought up before....?

Red

• Haha 1

Sounds like a good idea to me Red... because no matter how questions are answered on here by these members, there is still a huge conflict of interests going on.

Any debt collector who claims otherwise is either lying, or not doing his/her job properly. Simple as that, IMO.

• Haha 1

Quote:

Originally Posted by Thebhoy

So what about a DCA chasing someone for a debt that IS NOT THEIRS?

If I come across anything like this, I'll send the account to be re-traced and verified.

Threats by letter and telephone.

Failure to abide by OFT guidelines.

Failure to properly investigate disputed debts.

Failure to comply with CSA code of practice.

Failure to comply with Data Protection Act 1998

Is that acceptable IN YOUR OPINION?

How would you address a situation like that?

Don't know what you're trying to get at here, if you can explain a little more, I'll happily answer.

RA - In reply for an explanation.....

Personal situation.

Being harassed for debts that are not mine but for someone with a similar name (Different spelling of surname and they have a middle name), same DOB but live some 350 miles apart.

DCA has been informed verbally and in writing that they are contacting the wrong person and that I dispute ANY debts with their client.

They have also been informed of the suspected location of the true debtor (I have had this information from other DCA's chasing other debts for this person and have had his defaults /ccj's added to MY credit files - now cleared through CRA's, my MP and a government ministers involvement).

They have my telephone number as I contacted them when I received their first letter and gave them my number - they now use this to telephone me at home at all times of the day and evening.

They continue to send demands and threats demanding money and threatening bankruptcy etc in direct violation of the OFT guidelines re disputed debts.

They have failed to properly investigate my dispute or verify the location of the debtor as had they done so they would be aware I have trackable address and emploment details for the past 20 years in my current home and some 18 in my previous home - neither of which are anywhere near the debtors location.

The CSA - CODE OF PRACTICE (of which they have signed up to) clearly follows the OFT guidelines in relation to 'correct debtor' and disputed debts - these are ignored.

DPA - they have no authorisation to store, access, process or share any personal data relating to myself as I am not a customer of their client, their selves nor have I given them authorisation in any format, implying consent for them to do so.

I trust this will give you an inkling of my situation and reasoning behind my questions but please feel free to ask for more if needed.

Okay, this may not be the 'correct' answer, but this is the procedure in place and is what I would have to do in this instance. Although I know where you're coming from, all I could do would be to send it back to the Trace department for them to re-trace. If/when it comes back on to the collectors in the call centre, and it says 'target still at address - pursue' (for example), and the same story is relayed again, it gets sent back to Trace again.

Obviously, it's a bit of a crap answer to say the least, but I can only really answer questions that I deal with in the call centre; so any litigation questions, trace questions, complaints questions etc, I'm not going to be able to give you your answers. Sorry that I couldn't answer any better than that.

Okay, this may not be the 'correct' answer, but this is the procedure in place and is what I would have to do in this instance. Although I know where you're coming from, all I could do would be to send it back to the Trace department for them to re-trace. If/when it comes back on to the collectors in the call centre, and it says 'target still at address - pursue' (for example), and the same story is relayed again, it gets sent back to Trace again.

Obviously, it's a bit of a crap answer to say the least, but I can only really answer questions that I deal with in the call centre; so any litigation questions, trace questions, complaints questions etc, I'm not going to be able to give you your answers. Sorry that I couldn't answer any better than that.

Cheers..........

it just confirms how c*** the system is when the person never lived at my address and has a different spelling of the surname and it is only when it goes to a DCA they link it to me.

Well, 5months of harassment so far and it looks set to continue - of course, I suppose it will depend on the outcome of my complaint to the FOS.

THEBHOY

and, six months later - the case continues

As you have stated "personal attacks" are ok in this thread:-

1.What useful information have you actually given....please quote.

2.What persuaded you to work in a debt collection call centre,do you have a problem with your IQ?

3.Surely it is more viable to move the call centre to india,then the likes of robinson way can try for more profit.

4,Call centre staff...Are they really so thick that they have to have a script in front of them to read from.

5.What are your promotion prospects? Get a couple of dodgy debts settled and go up the ladder to Lowells?

As you have stated "personal attacks" are ok in this thread

Please show me where I said that, if you would be so kind.

1.What useful information have you actually given....please quote.

This thread is for asking questions about DCAs, if you want to look at my posts, feel free to do so.

2.What persuaded you to work in a debt collection call centre,do you have a problem with your IQ?

For one, the salary is quite good, and (although this will probably rile people up), so are the bonuses. Second, the company I work for is actually (from an employee perspective) a very good company to work for, in terms of actually progressing etc.

3.Surely it is more viable to move the call centre to india,then the likes of robinson way can try for more profit.

If you would like to put that suggestion forward, feel free to do so to the appropriate DCAs.

4,Call centre staff...Are they really so thick that they have to have a script in front of them to read from.

We don't use scripts at all in the DCA I work for.

5.What are your promotion prospects? Get a couple of dodgy debts settled and go up the ladder to Lowells?

To quote a document published by The Credit Services Association:

Promotion, in the first instance, is usually from collector to section leader, managing a small team of debt collectors. From there promotion can lead to collection manager, senior collection manager, or eventually director in the agency or a branch.

Debt Collectors can move into other areas, such as sales, debt counselling, credit management, or bailiff work.

There are opportunities for self-employment, either running a debt collection agency or as a field debt collector.

So once you have applied for a CCA from the OP and nothing is forthcoming, how long do you give them to send a CCA to you, before you start hassellling people again to pay a debt that isn't enforcable, or sell it on to an even scuzzier bunch of reprobates, fully knowing that there is no CCA and that the debt in unenforcable?

Beating the DCA's day by day

My fight:

NDR - CCA'd 12+2 passed

Bank of Scotland - CCA'd 12+2 passed

CFS - Win by Technical Knock-out!:lol:

HFC Bank - CCA'd 12+2 passed

Chantry Collections - CCA sent

Time flies like an arrow

Fruit flies like a banana :D

<---------- Have I given you top advice, have I made you laugh, click on the scales, it won't hurt you! :grin:

When I send a request for a CCA to the OC, it holds the account for 5 weeks. The idea is that, by then, the OC has either sent us one or told us they don't have one, and if they did give us one, it'd be sent out within that time. If there is no CCA, you'll probably get a standard letter saying something along the lines of 'just because we cannot obtain a CCA doesn't mean you don't owe the money', and thus, you are pursued again.

If you are totally disputing liability and that's the reason you wanted the CCA, the account is placed on permenant hold while a complaints manager looks into it further. I can't say what happens there, because I simply do not know.

But if you have been assigned the debt and it is now payable to you then why have you to apply to the oc for a cca,if you have bought the debt ALL the paperwork you should have.

Okay, well imagine this. We load 100,000 accounts from a creditor and they all have CCAs 3 pages long, and statements covering 100 pages each, plus all the account notes covering 30 pages. That's almost 13.5 million pages of documents, of which we might only need 100 CCAs totalling 300 pages.

The point is, we don't need all of the paperwork most of the time. Hardly any of our customers actually request a CCA, so the OC keeps it, and then we request it from them if need be.

That has already been answered in post 56:

do you just get a list of names and (alleged) debts, or do you get a file with the paperwork etc?

Kinda in between. We will generally be given the name, address, phone numbers, balance, last payment date, last payment amount, account open date, default date, credit card number (if applicable), and sometimes, the goods ordered (if applicable). If we need a CCA, statements etc after we've bought the debt, we send to letter/email to the OC to request it. Once we receive it, we file a copy and send a copy out.

Does a DCA actually check that the CCA they send is actually enforceable, or do they just assume it is?

I've had this where Moorcrofyt have insisted it is enforceable, when I very much doubt they've even looked at it or have a copy themselves.

The document I did get was totally illegble to the point of being laughably bad. I even CCA's the OC and got an exact illegible duplicate.

6 months later and they're still sending me demands for payment. They must know it's unenforcable otherwise they would have taken me to court by now. But they haven't.

So why the constant breaches of OFT guidelines of trying to demand payment on an account in dispute? Surely it's a waste of money, time, and resorces to persue after all this time?

These are video links to show how I deal with Debt Collectors.

Fly fishing for C.A.R.S

http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=zPtzK8FqE6k&feature=related

Frederickson International don't accept my card type

http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=eiZBULlWW6Q&feature=related