Re: Distressing phone call from MBNA

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 5398 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

On the security details questions, soem of my favourites are from a poster called Drexl Spivey on Diskmandave's Robinson Way thread. For example-

RW caller : Good afternoon, I am calling from Robinson way , can I confirm your name is Drexl Spivey ?

Drexl : I am he, Drexl Spivey

RW Caller : I am phoning in regard to your acc ...

Drexl : Cease

RW Caller : excuse me ?

Drexl : You are familiar with the data protection act 1998 are you not ? . Were you just about to contravene that act by what could be illegal disclosure by not going through the correct security checks to ascertain who it is exactly you are talking to ?

RW Caller : Er , could you tell me your postcode please .

Drexl : My postcode ! ( sounding incredulous ) , you can't ask for my postcode and think that fufils any kind of security criteria , anyone can know my post code, it is in the public domain, it is on the electoral register. How would you like it if the security code to enter your online banking was asking your postcode . You need to ask me something only I would know .

Drexl : you need to ask me the name of my first cat. That is the question i always use for any account. Ok, now ask away.

RW Caller : Hangs up

Nationwide-A&L-Halifax 1-Student Loans Company-NatWest-Virgin Media-Link-Capital One ALL WON!

Thames Credit -statute barred sent 13/11/08

BCW- prove debt letter- 14/08/08

Apex- CCA 14/08/08

Redcats UK- SAR 14/04/09

Call Serve- CCA 14/08/08

Littlewoods- no CCA letter 03/09/08- Lowells now

Wescot- CCA 19/9/08

Capital One/Debitas- now with Lowells

Any opinions are without prejudice & without liability. All information has been obtained from this site. If you are unsure, please seek professional advice. .

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Hi everyone i found this story when looking up about MBNA and harm that bank does to people __ A lady died this past January, and MBNA bank billed her for February and March for their annual service charges on her credit card, and then added late fees and interest on the monthly charge. The balance that had been £0.00, now is somewhere around £60.00.

A family member placed a call to the MBNA Bank:

Family Member: 'I am calling to tell you that she died in January.'

MBNA: 'The account was never closed and the late fees and charges still apply.'

Family Member: 'Maybe, you should turn it over to collections.'

MBNA: 'Since it is two months past due, it already has been.'

Family Member: So, what will they do when they find out she is dead?'

MBNA: 'Either report her account to the frauds division or report her to the credit bureau, maybe both!'

Family Member: 'Do you think God will be mad at her?'

MBNA: 'Excuse me?'

Family Member: 'Did you just get what I was telling you . the part about her being dead?'

MBNA: 'Sir, you'll have to speak to my supervisor.'

Supervisor gets on the phone:

Family Member: 'I'm calling to tell you, she died in January.'

MBNA: 'The account was never closed and the late fees and charges still apply.'

Family Member: 'You mean you want to collect from her estate?'

MBNA: 'Are you her lawyer?'

Family Member: 'No, I'm her great nephew.' (Lawyer info given)

MBNA: 'Could you fax us a certificate of death?'

Family Member: 'Sure.' ( fax number is given )

After they get the fax:

MBNA: 'Our system just isn't set up for death. I don't know what more I can do to help.'

Family Member: 'Well, if you figure it out, great! If not, you could just keep billing her. I don't think she will care.'

MBNA: 'Well, the late fees and charges do still apply.'

Family Member: 'Would you like her new billing address?'

MBNA: 'That might help.

Family Member: ' Glasnevin Cemetery, Finglas Road , Dublin 11, Ireland , Plot Number 104972.'

MBNA: 'Sir, that's a cemetery!'

Family Member: 'Well, what the f*** do you do with dead people on your planet?'

Hinm

Im happy to help with support and my own opinions but as i have no legal qualifications If I offer any thoughts to your problems please take it as from my life experience only and not of any legal standing. Always take further advice from the legal experts in your final action,

Oh that is the best ever!

I can't help laughing thinking of the postman trying to deliver the threatograms from MBNA.

Nationwide-A&L-Halifax 1-Student Loans Company-NatWest-Virgin Media-Link-Capital One ALL WON!

Apex- CCA 14/08/08

Redcats UK- SAR 14/04/09

Call Serve- CCA 14/08/08

Wescot- CCA 19/9/08

Any opinions are without prejudice & without liability. All information has been obtained from this site. If you are unsure, please seek professional advice. .

MBNA are horrible when it comes to dealing with death. Shortly after my Dad died (literally 5 mins after he died) they called me asking for money. When I said, "Sorry, my dad has just died................can you call another time?", their response was, "We'll call you in ten minutes or so".

:mad:

Bank and credit card reclaims - £9,806

Sainsburys CCA non-compliance with FOS;

Natwest reclaim of £340 in progress;

Egg credit card reclaim in progress

Hi Emma ! and everyone else interested in this thread!When i came across that gem! about MBNA ! I just had to share that story with everyone on this forum!It just shows you that the DCAs working for MBNA have not a shred of compassion and humanity! and that there is no one human behind those phones!Yes i had a picture of the postman calling round to deliver all MBNAs threatograms to her!I wonder when that £60 reaches a few hundred! whether they will consider takeing her to court to get a ccj against her! LOL i would just love to see the judges face if they petition him about her! LOL I loved that thread about spivey Drexl response to security questions on phone you brought to my attention !that gave me a good laugh as well!

Im happy to help with support and my own opinions but as i have no legal qualifications If I offer any thoughts to your problems please take it as from my life experience only and not of any legal standing. Always take further advice from the legal experts in your final action,

Hi bathgatebuyer How awful.It just show you that MBNA have no decency or compassion at all,MBNA seem to be employing a load of robots,That is Unbelievable even for MBNA.I just hope that bank gets its come uppance one day,These experiences show just what a awful bank MBNA is and that we can hope for no commpassion or help from them.Just hope we can get our own back on them.I have just sent my CCA request to them,Just hopeing now that i am one of the lucky ones who has no enforceable CCA,

Hi everyone who has given me advice and moral support!I am making good use of my holiday! Ive just e mailed council social services to ask about help for putting a new claim for my husbands DLA.Ive sent a CCA request to MBNA by special delivery! and found a cheap printer to buy online which should hopefully be with me soon!I had another call from MBNA at work last friday and took the brave step of talking to them at work as i thought it only fair to give them a verbal warning about contacting me at work before sending that strongly worded telephone harresement letter,If they still do i will send them that letter.I spun them emmas line again about not giving out security confirmation to complete strangers on phone and that i did not discuss private account details at work and that i only want communications for them by writing from now on, and then just put phone down on them!iSo thats capital one and MBNa ive managed to warn about only wanting written communications.The phone has been strangely quiet since talking to them though!I cant beleive ive been sucessful in stopping them just by takeing one call! from each bank concerned!Here it is 1.18pm on monday and the phone has not rung once!Trouble is i am such a worrier i am now worrying about what horrible threatograms they are going to post to me!

Hi everyone who has given me advice and moral support!I am making good use of my holiday! Ive just e mailed council social services to ask about help for putting a new claim for my husbands DLA.Ive sent a CCA request to MBNA by special delivery! and found a cheap printer to buy online which should hopefully be with me soon!I had another call from MBNA at work last friday and took the brave step of talking to them at work as i thought it only fair to give them a verbal warning about contacting me at work before sending that strongly worded telephone harresement letter,If they still do i will send them that letter.I spun them emmas line again about not giving out security confirmation to complete strangers on phone and that i did not discuss private account details at work and that i only want communications for them by writing from now on, and then just put phone down on them!iSo thats capital one and MBNa ive managed to warn about only wanting written communications.The phone has been strangely quiet since talking to them though!I cant beleive ive been sucessful in stopping them just by takeing one call! from each bank concerned!Here it is 1.18pm on monday and the phone has not rung once!Trouble is i am such a worrier i am now worrying about what horrible threatograms they are going to post to me!

sunflower,

Threatograms are what you do want. They are bound to try and contact you and if they're sending letters then at least they're not 'phoning you at work. Also, if they send letters, you have time to respond and to get advice from this forum.

One thing that might be worth trying. Do you have an online account with them? If so, go to this site: dmClub - Business and Free Personal Phone and Fax Numbers with Unified Messaging (Phone, FAX and Email) and get yourself a free voicemail account. Then change your details on the MBNA website so that the number you get is listed as your work number. When they ring they will only ever get your voicemail. It may not work (it has for me), but it's worth a try.

Regards.

Fred

Before you criticise another man you should first walk a mile in his shoes. Then, when you criticise him, you'll be a mile away and he won't have any shoes on.

Don't get me confused with somebody knowledgeable by all those green blobs. I got most of them by making people laugh.

I am not European, I am English.

Hi Fred Thanks for all your advice and suggestions ! Perhaps i ought to go to MBNA account and give them another DCA s number ! LOL

Hi Fred and everyone i spoke to soon! LOL got someone asking for me from overseas call center!So it must either be MBNA or Capital One as my husband took call and told them im out,,I got my new printer today so at least i can get printing now if i need to send harrasement letters to them!MBNA should have got my CCA request by now!

Capital One is an overseas call centre. And they hardly ever read letters, so if they start ringing, you have to tell them, only in writing repeatedly.

Apex- CCA 14/08/08

Redcats UK- SAR 14/04/09

Call Serve- CCA 14/08/08

Wescot- CCA 19/9/08

Hi emma yes i gathered they were as they getting as bad as MBNA with their phonecalls.I think they have been trying to contact me at work as well though they are a little more discreet than MBNA in that they dont say who they are. but it is still harassment as peole know it is a bank! As i said not having a very good holiday!We have decided to get rid of the car as it is only getting us deeper in debt what with sky high petrol prices steadily rising sky high tax! insurance etc and that mot was final straw!My husband does not drive much now and since his health problems hates driving and i cant drive so might as well get rid of it and use the money saved for other things!we will miss having a car but will just have to get used to it Shame that council lady phone call did not go very well! i was almost inclined to give up trying to get DLA for hubby but he said we might as well carry on and let her look into it as we got nothing to loose!The final straw yesterday was that out kettle stopped working and now we cant even make ourselves a decent cup of tea or coffeee as we both think tea and coffee are not all that nice when made from boiling water in a saucepan.Will have to look online and see if we can order a very cheap kettle!What a lovely holiday!

I can cope with most things, as long as I can still have a cuppa! Try Argos, Asda or Woolworths- you should be able to get a cheap kettle there (under £5).

Time to send off the telephone harassment letter to Debitas/Crapital One- or have they already got one and are just ignoring it?

Apex- CCA 14/08/08

Redcats UK- SAR 14/04/09

Call Serve- CCA 14/08/08

Wescot- CCA 19/9/08

Hi everyone i understand from another thread that the balls in my court regarding MBNA and that i dont have to do anything until they produce a copy of the original signed and dated cca or some written communication about this request but i am wondering what to write to Halifax and capital one bank?I was told it was a good idea to offer then something for moment even if well below minimum repayment?I was thinking now that i woud be able to pay them £15 each in sept and another £!5 each in oct and ask them as i have fiancial problems if they could arrange this as a temporary payment plan for sept and oct while i was reviewing my budget and seeing how i could improve it and that i would contact them again in NOV about what i could offer them towards arrears in Nov.Another person in other thread suggested i ask them to freeze interest for a couple of months though i cant see that happening,By nov at least i will have a have had a loan paid of to nat west and got the benefit of a few months of extra money comeing in by not having to pay them and i will have some money from a paid up scheme to clear my overdraft on one of my bank accounts.What i was asking is iasi am not very good with writing letters and not sure how to phrase it to the banks!as i have never written letters about this to banks before i was wondering if any kind person on this forum could message me a draft of a letter which i could send to banks saying all this! I would be very grateful.

Apex- CCA 14/08/08

Redcats UK- SAR 14/04/09

Call Serve- CCA 14/08/08

Wescot- CCA 19/9/08

Hi emma we ordered a new reasonably cheap kettle online! Hopefully it will be with us tommorrow.Clever hubby managed to get our old kettle working but he says he dosent think it will keep going for long and he says that we must be careful with it as he says he had to take part of the bottom of kettle off and that i must not touch bottom of kettle in case i get electrocuted!so at least we can have some decent cups of tea and coffee while waiting for our new one to arrive!

HI emma and everyone interested in my thread .Thanks for advice.Ive composed a couple of letters to capital one and Halifax offering a token payment of £15 each for next couple of months and asked them it they would suspend interest and charges and any action account for that period of time!I got a letter from MBNA saying that they are going to get another DCA firm to hassle me for arrears this one is called Risk Management Alternatives.So great! another firm is going to badger me as well as MBNAs friendly overseas call center staff!

hiya Sunflower and all,

just read your post about Risk Management Alternatives, RMA,, you may even get lovely postcards from them, asking you to contact them as they will be calling you, giving the impression its a home visit, but its not, and once on the phone they will do all to try and get you to pay more

again i wrote to them way back in may, but i think it was a total waste of time, i asked them for my cca, never got it, now ive turned directly to mbna, and lo and behold if my cca does not land on my mat tomorrow morning the 12 working days is up, will allow them until monday morning giving me chance to check out my next action, i believe report to trading standards and see what happens next

good luck and stick to your guns, it will get better i promise

good night to all will check in tomorrow pm ciao for now maz

Im happy to help with support and my own thoughts, but if I offer any thoughts to your problems please take it as from my life experience only and not of any legal standing. Always take further advice from the legal experts in your final action.:)

my new motto is,,,",Taking back control of your life and home - such peace is priceless"

This is all due to truecall device , have a serious peek at this you will be thankful like I am x laters angel :D

Hi OnMyWayOut Thanks for warning about our kettle!I will be careful!I dont know a lot about electric things just knew not to touch bottom of kettle but now you have told me about water i will make sure i dont splash any water round!

Hi Maz .Thanks for giving me advice about new friendly DCAs about to be unleashed on me.That advice was very welcome as i did not know what to expect from them.I am very grateful you warned me about their lovely postcards and their empty threats of home visits .I would have thought putting postcards like that through the door woulld be considered harassement and against guidlines for debt collection as DCAs are not supposed to embaress peope and advertise their debt problems to other people ,postcards are not all that private as the local postman and sorting office and anybody in house can see them Dosent sending post cards break the official guide lines about Debt collection that the office of fair trading set up?I also saw a copy of letter on someones thread which warned DCAs that they are breaking the law and are not allowed to call without permission from the people in household without a court order.Would it be a good idea to send a letter like that by registered mail if they threaten this?Though i just got this letter today it was dated one day before MBNA would have received their CCA request,As MBNA still own the debt and Risk Management only working on their behalf to collect debt arrears surely i dont have to ask Risk Management for a CCA?and even though MNBNA got cca request a day after involving Risk Managements MBNA are still the one who are under a legal obligation to send me my original signed and dated CCA?Thanks Maz for all your advice and moral support you have been brilliant and made be feel better and that i am not on my own.I hope you get all your problems sorted out too.This forum is a life saver.

• Haha 1

Hi Maz .Thanks for giving me advice about new friendly DCAs about to be unleashed on me.That advice was very welcome as i did not know what to expect from them.I am very grateful you warned me about their lovely postcards and their empty threats of home visits .I would have thought putting postcards like that through the door woulld be considered harassement and against guidlines for debt collection as DCAs are not supposed to embaress peope and advertise their debt problems to other people ,postcards are not all that private as the local postman and sorting office and anybody in house can see them Dosent sending post cards break the official guide lines about Debt collection that the office of fair trading set up?I also saw a copy of letter on someones thread which warned DCAs that they are breaking the law and are not allowed to call without permission from the people in household without a court order.Would it be a good idea to send a letter like that by registered mail if they threaten this?Though i just got this letter today it was dated one day before MBNA would have received their CCA request,As MBNA still own the debt and Risk Management only working on their behalf to collect debt arrears surely i dont have to ask Risk Management for a CCA?and even though MNBNA got cca request a day after involving Risk Managements MBNA are still the one who are under a legal obligation to send me my original signed and dated CCA?Thanks Maz for all your advice and moral support you have been brilliant and made be feel better and that i am not on my own.I hope you get all your problems sorted out too.This forum is a life saver.

Hello Sunflower,

Just stumbeld accross your thread and it is truely amazing how your knowledge and confidence has grown.

The advise you have been given is invaluable. Last year I was in the very same situation, and the knowledge help and support from the site was a life saver. I am now of the opinion that these greedy creditors are responsible for irresponsible lending, they know the accounts that will make them the most money so they rack up the credit limit, adding the extortionate interest rates and they have got you for life. You are a good customers for year, paying without question. and then for what ever reason you find you cannot pay them the amount they want and they show no compassion or understanding whatsoever. They release their wrath upon you.

I have had all of the harrassment calls, from mbna, the indian call centres, and then the Irish firm (they were the worse) and I was making payments to them via payplan, but it was never enough.

I sent off the template letter to mbna as they are the creditors and they breached the request and have done to this day. So the account was then put into legal dispute and this had serious consequences for them:D.

That did not stop them selling the account to a DCA who then harassed me, so I sent them a request for the ca. They have been in default for a year now. So no joy for them there:D I have not heard from them for a year and I have just stirred up the hornets nest, by writing to them, with instructions for them to removel the default they have placed on my credit file, or I will take them to court.

During this time I claimed back all of the penalty charges mbna had taken and was about £500 better off:D

My advise to you would be that every action these companies do revolves around one little, but very important document. your credit agreement. This dictates what creditors can and cannot do with the remit of the law.

If they have it (which I doubt by their track record) you pay them what you can afford, not what they want. They must follow the office of fair tradings debt collection guidence

If they don't the ball is well and truely in your court. The account is in legal dispute and you have rights under the consumer legislation.

If you can afford £10 it would be useful to obtain a subject access request at sometime in the further. This will show you all activity on your account. All penality charges and a log of all the harassment calls you received from them, it can open up a hole new can of worms for them.

Meanwhile, all calls you or your husband receive log down, Company, date time and place, this is something else very useful to monitor and keep for future reference.

Send all correspondence by either special or recorded delivery and keep all receipts and correspondence in a file.

I apoligise for the long post and I am sure you already know these things

Keep confident and strong.:D

If any of my posts are helpful, please feel free to click my scales. All information is given as my opinion only, based on my own personal experiences. I have no legal training, but have educated myself in aspects of consumer legislation. My motto "NEVER GIVE IN, NEVER SURRENDER", THERE IS A WAR ON YOU KNOW

What a change in a person.

Sunflower, you've come on a long way since your initial post, and you certainly come across now as calm and confident.

How does it feel to eventually be able to sit back, relax, have a nice cuppa (when the new kettle arrives), and laugh at DCA's instead of worry about them :D

BTW, keep on to the DLA people, trust me, it doesn't take too long to get it sorted, and it's well worth it in the end.

One thing I would add, if you get a nice lump sum of arrears from DLA, like we did, DON'T use it to pay any DCA's, take a nice holiday instead, you deserve it :)

Nil Illigitimus Carborundum

Hi djweeeble Thanks for all your advice about DLA you have beeen brilliant and thanks for sharing your experiences of claiming DLA.and of course moral support.only thing is that unfortunatly i dont have high hopes that my husband will get it,I hope you dont mind but i have copied and pasted part of a copy of a letter i sent emmafol to you as a private message just put your name in instead!I thought it best to go into details about our Dla experience in a private message to you as it is very detailed! LOLI hope you get it ok as i am still getting to grips with features in this forum!Thanks again for all your help and taking an interest in my thread!

Hi hellhasnofury Thanks for your message ! Dont worry i love long posts! and i apreciated all the advice information and moral support you gave me i was really grateful that you were prepared to put in some time sending me that message I love all posts i get and everytime i get a new post to this thread ieven if it is just to give me moral support it does lift my spirits and make feel a bit more able to cope with the horrors and worries of being in bad credit card debt.especially as i do tend to get bad atacks of anxiety and being very depressed So thanks again for your post it helped to make my day better and lift my spirits!