• Tweets

• Hmm yes I see your point about proof of postage but nonetheless... "A Notice to Keeper can be served by ordinary post and the Protection of Freedoms Act requires that the Notice, to be valid,  must be delivered either (Where a notice to driver (parking ticket) has been served) Not earlier than 28 days after, nor more than 56 days after, the service of that notice to driver; or (Where no notice to driver has been served (e.g ANPR is used)) Not later than 14 days after the vehicle was parked A notice sent by post is to be presumed, unless the contrary is proved, to have been delivered on the second working day after the day on which it is posted; and for this purpose “working day” means any day other than a Saturday, Sunday or a public holiday in England and Wales." My question there is really what might constitute proof? Since you say the issue of delivery is a common one I suppose that no satisfactory answer has been established or you would probably have told me.
    • I would stand your ground and go for the interest. Even if the interest is not awarded you will get the judgement and the worst that might happen is that you won't get your claim fee.  However, it is almost inevitable that you will get the interest.  It is correct that it is at the discretion of the judge but the discretion is almost always exercised in favour of the claimant in these cases.  I think you should stand your ground and don't give even the slightest penny away Another judgement against them on this issue would be very bad for them and they would be really stupid to risk it but if they did, it would cost them far more than the interest they are trying to save which they will most likely have to pay anyway
    • Yep, true to form, they are happy to just save a couple of quid... They invariably lose in court, so to them, that's a win. 😅
    • Your concern regarding the 14 days delivery is a common one. Not been on the forum that long, but I don't think the following thought has ever been challenged. My view is that they should have proof of when it was posted, not when they "issued", or printed it. Of course, they would never show any proof of postage, unless it went to court. Private parking companies are simply after money, and will just keep sending ever more threatening letters to intimidate you into paying up. It's not been mentioned yet, but DO NOT APPEAL! You could inadvertently give up useful legal protection and they will refuse any appeal, because they're just after the cash...  
    • The sign says "Parking conditions apply 24/7". Mind you, that's after a huge wall of text. The whole thing is massively confusing.  Goodness knows what you're meant to do if you spend only a fiver in Iceland or you stay a few minutes over the hour there.
  • Our picks

• If you are buying a used car – you need to read this survival guide.
      • 1 reply
    • Hello,

On 15/1/24 booked appointment with Big Motoring World (BMW) to view a mini on 17/1/24 at 8pm at their Enfield dealership.  

Car was dirty and test drive was two circuits of roundabout on entry to the showroom.  Was p/x my car and rushed by sales exec and a manager into buying the mini and a 3yr warranty that night, sale all wrapped up by 10pm.  They strongly advised me taking warranty out on car that age (2017) and confirmed it was honoured at over 500 UK registered garages.

The next day, 18/1/24 noticed amber engine warning light on dashboard , immediately phoned BMW aftercare team to ask for it to be investigated asap at nearest garage to me. After 15 mins on hold was told only their 5 service centres across the UK can deal with car issues with earliest date for inspection in March ! Said I’m not happy with that given what sales team advised or driving car. Told an amber warning light only advisory so to drive with caution and call back when light goes red.

I’m not happy to do this, drive the car or with the after care experience (a sign of further stresses to come) so want a refund and to return the car asap.

Please can you advise what I need to do today to get this done. 

Many thanks 
      • 81 replies
    • Housing Association property flooding. https://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/topic/438641-housing-association-property-flooding/&do=findComment&comment=5124299
      • 161 replies
    • We have finally managed to obtain the transcript of this case.

The judge's reasoning is very useful and will certainly be helpful in any other cases relating to third-party rights where the customer has contracted with the courier company by using a broker.
      This is generally speaking the problem with using PackLink who are domiciled in Spain and very conveniently out of reach of the British justice system.

Frankly I don't think that is any accident.

One of the points that the judge made was that the customers contract with the broker specifically refers to the courier – and it is clear that the courier knows that they are acting for a third party. There is no need to name the third party. They just have to be recognisably part of a class of person – such as a sender or a recipient of the parcel.

Please note that a recent case against UPS failed on exactly the same issue with the judge held that the Contracts (Rights of Third Parties) Act 1999 did not apply.

We will be getting that transcript very soon. We will look at it and we will understand how the judge made such catastrophic mistakes. It was a very poor judgement.
      We will be recommending that people do include this adverse judgement in their bundle so that when they go to county court the judge will see both sides and see the arguments against this adverse judgement.
      Also, we will be to demonstrate to the judge that we are fair-minded and that we don't mind bringing everything to the attention of the judge even if it is against our own interests.
      This is good ethical practice.

It would be very nice if the parcel delivery companies – including EVRi – practised this kind of thing as well.

OT APPROVED, 365MC637, FAROOQ, EVRi, 12.07.23 (BRENT) - J v4.pdf

Swift Advances. Secured Loan Charges reclaim

overdone
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 4903 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Trading Name(s) (Historic): straight off the OFT Public Register:

Eastern Counselling Agency

Eastern Collection Agency

Take a look at the name on the headed notepaper :Eastern Counselling department.pdf

Eastern Counselling 'department' is but a department and has no right to charge a fee, it is nothing more than a telephone extension on the credit control departments desk.

It has to be looked into like everything else, absolultely everything as I was mentioning above and Lesterlass is right, it was registered under one guise or another, but all these names are figments of managements ego before they understood about running a business and abiding by rules, regulations or licenses. Take 'Swift Group' that's just a sign outside their building and what someone thinks is a name to make the company sound bigger. If they were selling bricks or soap it wouldn't have made a happeth of difference, but these people deal with financial products and it certainly does make a difference because the licences restrict and dictate what they have to do and they are only now just beginning to realise that as is evidenced on their NEW applications to add the names to their licences from October this year - bit late my friends.

Swift Advances... the OFT licence belonged to another company altogether, nothing to do with Arcadia House Swift. It belonged to Swift Financial UK Ltd a broker in the sticks until November 2009 so our Swift have been using an unlicensed trading name since inception....Mistake? - No, stupidity, complacency, ignorance and one mighty big ego.

Oh, and as also mentioned, but not to be forgotten - it is a criminal offence to use a trading name which is not on an OFT Licence in their profession.

Edited by Smarterchick

• Replies 3.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Alot of guests this morning SC

GOOD MORNING GUESTS

LL

NICE ONE LL,

By the way you are 101% right as far as Fraud is concerned.

Have just sent my letter to the Economic Crime Unit of the Police in Swift's home town.....

Morning all and best wishes

Dougal

Edited by Dougal16T
Having a 'bad hair day'..couldn't spell my name!!

Update: 2013 Following our recent (9/7/13) hearing about Bank Charges at the Court of Appeal, and refusal to grant permission to Appeal; an Application has just (23/10/2013) been made for a fresh hearing and the Court Location is yet to be confirmed!

Swift Group name belongs to another company

This is the real Swift Group website

http://www.swiftleisure.co.uk/swift-group

That's Swift Group Limited.....Swift Group is used by Arcadia House residents..Precision is what makes this fun! If you are going to make legal complaints you need to be spot-on perfect which we are beginning to get the hang of quite well now... Maybe they'll all be living in caravans soon eh?

NICE ONE LL,

By the way you are 101% right as far as Fraud is concerned.

Have just sent my letter to the Economic Crime Unit of the Police in Swift's home town.....

Morning all and best wishes

Morning Dougal

Is there any way all of us could bombard ECU in Swifts home town?

This Is what the companies act has to say about the word GROUP.

Rule 1197 of the Companies Act.....(the specified words are contained in the Business Names Act 1985)

Name containing inappropriate indication of company type or legal form E+W+S+N.I.

(1)The Secretary of State may make provision by regulations prohibiting a person from carrying on business in the United Kingdom under a name consisting of or containing specified words, expressions or other indications—

(a)that are associated with a particular type of company or form of organisation, or

(b)that are similar to words, expressions or other indications associated with a particular type of company or form of organisation.

(2)The regulations may prohibit the use of words, expressions or other indications—

(a)in a specified part, or otherwise than in a specified part, of a name;

(b)in conjunction with, or otherwise than in conjunction with, such other words, expressions or indications as may be specified.

(3)In this section “specified” means specified in the regulations.

(4)Regulations under this section are subject to negative resolution procedure.

(5)A person who uses a name in contravention of regulations under this section commits an offence.

(6)Where an offence under this section is committed by a body corporate, an offence is also committed by every officer of the body who is in default.

(7)A person guilty of an offence under this section is liable on summary conviction to a fine not exceeding level 3 on the standard scale and, for continued contravention, a daily default fine not exceeding one-tenth of level 3 on the standard scale

LL

If anyone looks on here because they're thinking about taking out a mortgage with Swift, think about this. After all the trouble i have had (all of us on this forum have had) and trying to work out what this charge is for and that charge is for, i've just taken a step back and looked at the top line and bottom lines alone.

The top line is this. We borrowed £215,000 in October 2007

The bottom line is this. When our house was repossessed and the debt settled in July 2010 we had paid back £311,000.

Thats £96,000 in interest and charges in less than 3 years.

And for most of that time Bank Of England interest rates have been at 0.5%

Dont do it.

:-) Good Morning All,

I am happy to do as youahve suggested, just give me the details........

Ddougla gave me some fantastic info earlier in the summer, but due to ill health of oh since then , have not got round togoing ot my local police, but am getting there......

Am also happy to go to the unit in Swifts home town as well, as there are details missing and incorrect one entered. they have also sateded in writing they have complied with my SAR giving me the details they felt were relevant! so tell me what to do and the rough jist of the letter adn I will join you........

Thanks again for all the great info...

Jacqui_o

If you kick a Tiger in the Ass youbetter have a plan to deal with its teeth :madgrin:

Swift seem to think that everything they do is ' relevant' and everything we ask is 'irrelevant' I wonder how they feeling right at this minute? They must be stretched for staff in their accounts department too, haven't filed their accounts yet - naughty boys and girls. maybe they told Companies House they're ' irrelevant ' too

Following on from my other letter from Eastern Counselling ' Department' take a look at this one which is an earlier attempt to cash-in on fees. Note the first line of this letter " Swift Advances plc have instructed us...............???? Instructed us??......WT*? They tell me they have issued a Default Notice, which they had under 'Swift Advances' but this was an unregulated loan....mmm why the DN then?

On the other hand I should be grateful they were offering to help me shouldn't I? - I'm such an ungrateful, selfish bitch...:|

Eastern Counselling 2.pdf

• 2 weeks later...

Hi All,

I note that the OFT public register has been updated.....:-)

Swift Advances plc licence number 0391618

Licence Notes:

Minded to Impose Conduct Requirement(s) 10/11/2010

Lets hope we don't have to wait too much longer!!!!!

Apollo18

its just so they dont build up their hopes too much ,we all know from past experiances that the OFT are not to be relied upon and the average desicion can take almost forever

so i try not build up the hopes on them acting in favour ,i have complaints with them and its been longer than two years ,so i would sugest another tactic , the swifties have had their wrists slapped by the looks of things but no serious actions have been taken concerning swift ,that is unless the oft have been instructed to await the new FSA investigation into swift..so the FSA is the one for this complaint and all swift complaints , but saying that we know that the FSa cannot comment on individual complaints , hence complaints made through the which consumer mag and the citizens advice to enable a class action complaint only then will the FSA jointly with OFT will they be forced to act , personally i have no faith in the OFT

patrick

ps sorry i dont mean to be harsh its just my personal opinion

ps sorry i dont mean to be harsh its just my personal opinion

..and that in a nutshell is what Cag is all about Partick and long may it be so....just a personal opinion, but coming from the heart...we are all in this together to find the end game and so we shall! Swift won't know what's hit them one of these days, we've just been tickling them to date :lol:

.and look..no guests !! - they must all be in the accounts department trying to get their figures fixed for their very late year end accounts :-)

..and that in a nutshell is what Cag is all about Partick and long may it be so....just a personal opinion, but coming from the heart...we are all in this together to find the end game and so we shall! Swift won't know what's hit them one of these days, we've just been tickling them to date :lol:

.and look..no guests !! - they must all be in the accounts department trying to get their figures fixed for their very late year end accounts :-)

Evening all,

....Or they may have left the building!!!

However, I still have a pit for them to fall into..........

Best as ever to everyone,

Dougal

Update: 2013 Following our recent (9/7/13) hearing about Bank Charges at the Court of Appeal, and refusal to grant permission to Appeal; an Application has just (23/10/2013) been made for a fresh hearing and the Court Location is yet to be confirmed!

Nice to see some old friends back on the thread - seems like things are hotting up :whoo:

So local police, CAB and Which Magazine. Thanks Patrick and Dougal, I'm on it!!! I wouldn't dismiss the OFT though, they are listening.

Best of luck to all. SJ

This thread is being closed and replaced with a new thread which can be found here. http://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?284157-Swift-Advances.-Secured-Loan-Charges-reclaim-2

There is a link in the first post to this thread so anyone new to the forum will be aware that the thread is here and everyone will be able to refer to it.

This is purely a housekeeping decision to assist with the smooth running of the site.

The Consumer Action Group is a free help site.

Should you be offered help that requires payment please report it to site team.

Advice & opinions given by Caro are personal, are not endorsed by Consumer Action Group or Bank Action Group, and are offered informally, without prejudice & without liability. Your decisions and actions are your own, and should you be in any doubt, you are advised to seek the opinion of a qualified professional.

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 4903 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks