• Tweets

• Our picks

• If you are buying a used car – you need to read this survival guide.
      • 1 reply
    • Hello,

On 15/1/24 booked appointment with Big Motoring World (BMW) to view a mini on 17/1/24 at 8pm at their Enfield dealership.  

Car was dirty and test drive was two circuits of roundabout on entry to the showroom.  Was p/x my car and rushed by sales exec and a manager into buying the mini and a 3yr warranty that night, sale all wrapped up by 10pm.  They strongly advised me taking warranty out on car that age (2017) and confirmed it was honoured at over 500 UK registered garages.

The next day, 18/1/24 noticed amber engine warning light on dashboard , immediately phoned BMW aftercare team to ask for it to be investigated asap at nearest garage to me. After 15 mins on hold was told only their 5 service centres across the UK can deal with car issues with earliest date for inspection in March ! Said I’m not happy with that given what sales team advised or driving car. Told an amber warning light only advisory so to drive with caution and call back when light goes red.

I’m not happy to do this, drive the car or with the after care experience (a sign of further stresses to come) so want a refund and to return the car asap.

Please can you advise what I need to do today to get this done. 

Many thanks 
      • 81 replies
    • Housing Association property flooding. https://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/topic/438641-housing-association-property-flooding/&do=findComment&comment=5124299
      • 161 replies
    • We have finally managed to obtain the transcript of this case.

The judge's reasoning is very useful and will certainly be helpful in any other cases relating to third-party rights where the customer has contracted with the courier company by using a broker.
      This is generally speaking the problem with using PackLink who are domiciled in Spain and very conveniently out of reach of the British justice system.

Frankly I don't think that is any accident.

One of the points that the judge made was that the customers contract with the broker specifically refers to the courier – and it is clear that the courier knows that they are acting for a third party. There is no need to name the third party. They just have to be recognisably part of a class of person – such as a sender or a recipient of the parcel.

Please note that a recent case against UPS failed on exactly the same issue with the judge held that the Contracts (Rights of Third Parties) Act 1999 did not apply.

We will be getting that transcript very soon. We will look at it and we will understand how the judge made such catastrophic mistakes. It was a very poor judgement.
      We will be recommending that people do include this adverse judgement in their bundle so that when they go to county court the judge will see both sides and see the arguments against this adverse judgement.
      Also, we will be to demonstrate to the judge that we are fair-minded and that we don't mind bringing everything to the attention of the judge even if it is against our own interests.
      This is good ethical practice.

It would be very nice if the parcel delivery companies – including EVRi – practised this kind of thing as well.

OT APPROVED, 365MC637, FAROOQ, EVRi, 12.07.23 (BRENT) - J v4.pdf

Swift Advances. Secured Loan Charges reclaim

overdone
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 4906 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hi sparkie I was trying to find some info and I did but lost the blooming link and was hoping if you or anyone else could have any knowledge on hand.

I am trying to find what regulations states that "your home may repossessed if you do not keep up payments"? As I said before that my unregulated agreement does not contain this warning and I know that it must.

Any help or advice would be cool. I am not sure if I found this in the Consumer Credit Advertisement Regulations or if the link below is the correct one?

http://www.statutelaw.gov.uk/content.aspx?LegType=All&searchEnacted=0&extentMatchOnly=0&confersPower=0&blanketAmendment=0&sortAlpha=0&PageNumber=0&NavFrom=0&parentActiveTextDocId=436470&activetextdocid=922843&versionNumber=1

If it is the correct link does it apply to my unregulated agreement?

• Replies 3.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

HI

No the link you showed is for regulated loans only try this it is the FSA guidline

http://www.fsa.gov.uk/pubs/handbook/keyrules_mhr.pdf

DO NOT PAY UPFRONT FEES TO COLD CALLERS PROMISING TO WRITE OFF YOUR DEBTS

DO NOT PAY UPFRONT FEES FOR COSTLY TELEPHONE CONSULTATIONS WITH SO CALLED "EXPERTS" THEY INVARIABLY ARE NOTHING OF THE SORT

BEWARE OF QUICK FIX DEBT SOLUTIONS, IF IT LOOKS LIKE IT IS TO GOOD TO BE TRUE IT INVARIABLY IS

Hi peter,

Does the above link apply to unregulated loans? I know that my Lender is not regulated by the FSA so maybe not much help, any comments?

Why would you think that the loan was not regulated by the FSA?

Peter

DO NOT PAY UPFRONT FEES FOR COSTLY TELEPHONE CONSULTATIONS WITH SO CALLED "EXPERTS" THEY INVARIABLY ARE NOTHING OF THE SORT

BEWARE OF QUICK FIX DEBT SOLUTIONS, IF IT LOOKS LIKE IT IS TO GOOD TO BE TRUE IT INVARIABLY IS

Peter

Hi peter,

Blemain claim that they are not regulated by the FSA and that they are introducers for Cheshire Mortgage Company Ltd and CMCL are regulated by the FSA I believe?

Would that not mean that Blemain are regulated by the FSA too? So blooming complicated this is.

Peter

Hi Peter,

I think Fretful's loan (correct me if I'm wrong!) is a second charge mortgage and the FSA only regulate first charge mortgages secured on residential land taken out since 31.10.2004.

From what I understand, Fretful's loan is also unregulated under the CCA as it was more than the limit of £25,000 which was in force when it was taken out.

What Blemain say about their status appears to be correct, this is their info from the FSA register (apologies for formatting):-

Basic details for:

414372 - Blemain Finance Ltd

Current status:Introducer A.R.Effective Date:10/11/2004Tied Agent:Undertakes Insurance Mediation:YRegistered under Money Laundering Regulations:Address:Bracken House

Charles Street

Manchester

M1 7BD

Phone:

Fax:

Email:

44 0870 220 4744

44 0870 220 4745

[email protected]

http://www.blemainfinance.co.uk

Notices:

Principals for:

414372 - Blemain Finance Ltd

NameFirm reference numberEffectiveFromToCheshire Mortgage Corporation Limited 305253 10/11/2004

Hi

Yes supprisingly second mortganges of over 25k are subject to no regulation at all.

There was talk of legislation that will rectify the situation earliere this year but i do not know what stage the legislative process has reached, the new legislation i believe will include existing loans.

"Second charge mortgages

Overall, most respondents were supportive of the changes proposed in relation to second charge lending. A number of specific concerns were raised, which the Government has sought to address in this document and in minor changes to the proposed legislation. As a result of the consultation the Government has also decided to include existing second charge loans in the transfer of responsibilities to the FSA.

Subject to these changes, the Government intends to proceed with legislation to implement the proposals. This will lead to the creation of a single regulator for all residential mortgage lending, ensuring there is more consistent regulation that will make it easier for consumers to understand the protections available and simplify compliance burdens for lenders.

The inclusion of existing loans will allow lenders to realise these benefits sooner, and ensure that existing as well as new borrowers benefit from the consistent approach.

The commencement date of legislation will be suitably aligned with changes to the FSA's

regulation of first charge mortgages that may follow from its Mortgage Market Review."

Perhaps someone has more info on this

Peter

• Confused 1

Would the fact that Blemain are named as charge holders on land registry be unlawful as the Cheshire Mortgage co

are the ultimate lender.

G

That's a good question G, something more to think about and I will do some of my own research tomorrow on this and if anyone else can shed some light that will be great too,

Thanks again Gallahad

I know that cagger pinky69 has quite some knowledge about mortgages and loan brokers etc, but was wandering if anyone else knew this answer.

My Lender is an introducer and has a charge on my property, as Gallahad wrote above should the charge not be in the the company who the introducer are for?

I'm starting my pro active attitude towards Swift now. It's fitting it all in between work but it will be worth it in the end. I asked why the interest rate has raised from original amount (without referring I think 9.9% originally, it's on my PPI thread, to now 13.28%!!) The letter read ' The real cost of funds to Swift are not determined by the Bank of England Base Rate, but by our own cost of borrowing. Swift's cost of borrowing depends on several factors including;

1. How much it costs to borrow money from other Banks; and

2. The cost of holding our own capital and liquidity (both of which have a heightened importance in the current market environment).

They go on to say because of the credit crunch, the cost of Swift holding it's own capital has risen by at least 50%.

The letter is obviously longer with the LIBOR excuse, I bore with that! Lol. I cannot wait to use their sillyness in a constructive way to show those that 'can' what the people of this country are dealing with and it has to stop. I will get back into my politics I think, be determined.

• 3 weeks later...

For all Swifties to read and digest

Information Commissioners Office (ICO)

The Information Commissioners Office (ICO) enforces the requirements of the Data Protection Act (1998). Given that all businesses in the secured loans sector will at some time hold information about individuals they must be registered as a Data Controller with the ICO. In summary, the Data Protection Act ensures that all data kept on an individual is accurate, fairly and lawfully processed, adequate relevant and not excessive, used for limited purposes, not sent overseas and is kept securely.

Remember the Kestrel Companies No 1 & No 3 state that their business activity is lending money to the domestic market secured on freehold and leasehold properties….but they are not registered with the ICO…….they also buy all the loans and agreements,…. including all the rights and benefits of the loan agreement…….

I have supplied the ICO with the documentary evidence that loan account payments are being processed by Kestrel Loans No 1 Ltd along with names address and agreement numbers.

Despite what excuse they try to use………..they have to have a license,…… they have been unlawfully processing personal information since JUNE 2005. None of the Kestrel Companies have an ICO license OFT license or FSA license.

Also write and ask Swift Group Legal Services for their OFT licence and ask SWIFT ADVANCES for theirs, and Swift Group for theirs, I'll leave you all to figure it out what it all means under Section 39(2) of the Consumer Credit Act 1974 read it that section it includes ALL consumer credit regulated or unregulated........get writing people find things out....it will be all your advantage

pick up a penquin two systems for the price of one:?:

This has been put together by a friend of mine:wink:This is their later agreements 2007 onwards I think

Swift Advances plc………Unregulated Credit Agreements.

It is fact that Unregulated Credit agreements are, exactly what they say they are, they are not regulated by the Consumer Credit Act 1974 (CCA) or the Consumer Credit Agreement Regulations 1983 nor the amended Regulations 2004 (CCA Regs) which came into effect in May 2005. Except Section 140

This has been confirmed and argued in Courts by Swift Advances plc, by the Barristers they have engaged in such proceedings, it has been confirmed by Recorders and Judges that is a matter of fact. They do not apply to unregulated agreements

Therefore a different approach must be taken by Defendants when faced with Swift Advances plc enforcing these agreements in possession hearings.

We have to look at the construction of these agreements and not even think of the consumer statutes for reason they do not apply ( except the Unfair Terms in Consumer Credit Contracts and Consumer Protection Regulations), however for the purpose of these arguments these 2 statutes are not considered, arguments are concentrated around the following;

The first point that must remain foremost in the minds of the readers is that it is only in the CCA and CCA Regs that the phrase or words “Charges for Credit” are used.

We now look at the construction of Swift Advances plc unregulated credit agreement such as the one attached and referred to in these papers.

The First Box stating; Key Financial Information.

It is seen that it says

Amount of Credit; Principle Loan; Insurance loan ( if any) and Total

The other Information in this box is;

The Amount of monthly repayments; the Number of payments to be made and other explanatory Information.

It is to be noted that there is no interest rate shown in this box.

The Second Box below this, states:

Fees payable which say;

Brokers fee; Loan Administration Fee; Title Indemnity Fee; Rate of Interest; % p.a

It is here that the information clearly shows that the regulations are not considered in the construction of these agreements and they are not applied in the construction of said agreements, for reason these fees are not stated to be “charges for credit” because it is only the CCA statutes that state what is to be contained in Regulated Agreements.

Heavy emphasis is made of this “unregulation status” of their agreements by Swift Advances plc in the court proceedings referred to above and in correspondence from Swift Advances plc and the various other trading styles that they use.

These fees are not totalled up as would be required under a regulated agreement, they are not referred to as “charges for credit” as would be required under a regulated agreement, there is no mention of a Total Charge for Credit as would be required under a regulated agreement.

The borrower therefore is without doubt made to understand they are not charges for credit.

The agreement makes the borrower to believe this for reason above.

See Section 20 of the CCA Act 1974

We therefore have the fact in front of us that they are not considered or stated to be Charges for Credit, so what are they?

The answer to this question I submit is found just below the signature boxes on the front of the agreement which states;

You should note the following;

1. We agree to lend you the total amount of credit and the broker fee, loan administration fee and title indemnity fee (if any) shown above (the “Total Loan Amount”)

Besides there still being not being any reference or statement of “Charges for Credit” and /or “Total Charges for Credit” there is nowhere on the agreement that states Total Loan Amount or what this Total Loan Amount is.

We therefore have the questions;

Does it mean the Total shown in First Box? or does it mean the totals of the Second Box of the three sets of figures in that Box?

It would be straight forward if this was the case, but it cannot be because the total shown in the First Box is minus the three sets of figures in the second Box, and the fact that the argument has been out forward that the are not stated to be “Charges for Credit” and the reasons why they are not stated to be so.

We must go to the Note 1 quoted above;

“ We agree to lend you etc etc etc”

It is here that it is stated what the three sums of Fees are, they are stated to be loans Loans, the words “We agree to lend” is a complete statement of fact that a loan is being made, not a “Charge for Credit as it would be under the CCA Regulations for reason the regulations do not apply to unregulated agreements, a fact Swift Advances plc consistently rely on in their arguments.

Bluntly in the words of a prominent Senior High Court Judge in a recent Court proceedings he said “ A dog cannot have two tails”

Above post 3rd to last paragraph should read

It would be straight forward if this was the case, but it cannot be because the total shown in the First Box is minus the three sets of figures in the second Box, and the fact that the argument has been put forward that the are not stated to be “Charges for Credit” and the reasons why they are not stated to be so.

• Haha 1

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 4906 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks