Debt following death.

nuthatch
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 5436 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

• Replies 201
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I have just done a search on CAG for these people and found a person who was being pursued by them for a catalogue debt in his deceased mother's name.

Interestingly, one of the comments that was made is that teh law of probate does not apply in Scotland. I didn't know that.

And, I did speak to teh Sheriff's Office just after DH died and they told me they did not need to be involved as the estate was below £30000.

If Phillips-Cohen do contact me, I have also found a letter on CAG to send to them which might be appropriate but I will seek advice before sending it.

Oh joy. Letter from another CC company writing off DH's debt of £9000ish. I know they wouldn't have got anything anyway but it's nice to see it in writing.

Makes you wonder why Littlewoods are being such a pain over a debt of a few hundred.

nice one Nuthatch.

OFT debt collection guidance

Please remember the only stupid question is the one you dont ask so dont worry about asking the stupid questions.

Essex girl in pc world looking 4 curtains 4 her pc,the assistant says u dont need curtains 4 a computer!!Essex girl says,''HELLOOO!! i,ve got WINDOWS!!'.

Write back & tell them their reputation for trying to collect from the dead proceeds them & you won't be conducting any further correspondence for as well as being pointless as there are no assets it upsets you

Looks like I will be sending this letter as I got a letter from Philips etc saying it is very important I contact them immediately so they can resolve the re-payment of the amount outstanding :mad:

I will also remind them that I have already sent a breakdown of DH's estate :roll:

But not this week.

I have more important things to think about.

nuthatch if it was that important then they would have wrote to u about it. if they do phone u then i would advise u tell them u are to distressed to deal with them and ask them to write to u then hang up.

Please remember the only stupid question is the one you dont ask so dont worry about asking the stupid questions.

Essex girl in pc world looking 4 curtains 4 her pc,the assistant says u dont need curtains 4 a computer!!Essex girl says,''HELLOOO!! i,ve got WINDOWS!!'.

Hi Godmother. Yes, they have written and their "helpful leaflet" says they require me to send them copies of DH's last 3 month's bank statements!!

I have been reading up about this bunch and they have no scruples whatsoever.

They can go whistle.

Sorry i ment they would have written to you about the problem saying exactly what the problem is and how they intend on help u with it. Just send them a bugger off letter.

I would make very clear to them that the left over money needs to be split between ALL creditors. DO Not let on that some creditors have told u the account is now closed or they dont want your money.

Good call Godmother! Never thought about not telling them that some creditors have settled.I actually sent a copy of the letter from one creditor zeroing the balance thinking they would follow suit. But I suppose they would look at it as "More for me".

I am too trusting by half.

same ere NH. Iam far to trusting with some ppl.

Althought they say we learn from our mistakes so it should help u to learn from these ones.

Do NOT give them anything & don't even tell them some creditors have settled & especially don't talk on the phone.

As has been said send them a bugger off letter while warning them that if they persist you WILL report them for their unconscionable behaviour

Could I have comments on this letter I have composed to send to P-C.

With thanks to JonChris.

Dear P*******

I acknowledge receipt of your letter dated *****, the contents of which have been noted.

Please note that I have already supplied the information you are requesting to L******** and I do not propose to spend time and money duplicating these documents when my time can be better spent arranging the provision of a headstone for my husband's grave and dealing with my grief.

Your reputation for trying to collect from the dead proceeds you and I will not be entering into any further correspondence with your organisation. As well as being pointless (as there are no assets) it upsets me.

If you do persist, I will report your behaviour to Office of Fair Trading.(not sure if this is the right authority?)

Could I have comments on this letter I have composed to send to P-C.

Dear P*******

I acknowledge receipt of your letter dated *****, the contents of which are noted.

The information you requested has already been provided to your client.

Your reputation for trying to collect from the dead precedes you. Since the estate has no assets your unsavoury collection attempts are both distressing and wholly pointless.

Take notice that I will not enter into further correspondence with you in this matter. I do not expect to hear from you again, other than to apologise. Any further contact will be reported to the appropriate enforcement authority.

• Haha 1

Today I feel like rolling over and saying to the creditors...Ok, you win,just take everything but go away and let me hide in a hole.

It's silly really.

Got a letter back from Inland Revenue saying that there is £228 to pay on DH's income from 2007-08 .....all £10,000ish.

I phoned them up and the man at the other end tried to explain it to me but my brain just would not take it in. I told him that a lady I spoke to not long after DH died told me (or I thought she did) to fill in his income from April 2007 until he died in June 08. Obviously I made a booboo which I can see now but the thought of dragging out all the paperwork again and going through it all to see what I have done wrong just fills me with total apathy and defeat.

I know I have to do it because it's my fault and I am sorry to moan..again:cry:

It ISNT your fault, you have to deal with something that there isn't a rule book as such for...

The tax people need to be sent a copy of the death certificate and a letter explaining the lack of assets, there really isn't much they can do now, they CANNOT chase you beyond the time probate is granted and the estate settled - so its pretty much a stalemate situation (IMHO they should write this amount off, if the 'earnings' had alreay been paid for in tax or were benefits there is no amount due to them.

• 2 weeks later...

Letter arrived today relating to a business loan my OH had when he tried to set up a business.

This was paid off nearly 2 yrs ago following the sale of a house.

This letter states that he is in arrears on the loan and owes over £200.

So I phoned RBS and gave the reference number to be told they could not find any details on the system!!??

How stupid is that?

I told the woman I spoke to it was academic anyway as he did not owe them anything and even if he did there is nothing to pay them with.

Be really interesting to see if RBS are going to make complete prats of themselves by pursuing this.

I was really calm while I was speaking to the RBS but now I am shaking big time.

It just makes me so angry the way these big companies conduct themselves.

• Haha 1

have tickles for being calm.

Dont worry about being Shakey afterwareds thats normal some of these companys are stupid

• Haha 1

Letter arrived today relating to a business loan my OH had when he tried to set up a business.

This was paid off nearly 2 yrs ago following the sale of a house.

This letter states that he is in arrears on the loan and owes over £200.

So I phoned RBS and gave the reference number to be told they could not find any details on the system!!??

How stupid is that?

I told the woman I spoke to it was academic anyway as he did not owe them anything and even if he did there is nothing to pay them with.

Be really interesting to see if RBS are going to make complete prats of themselves by pursuing this.

I was really calm while I was speaking to the RBS but now I am shaking big time.

It just makes me so angry the way these big companies conduct themselves.

That's probably because the 'debt' has been passed to some cretin DCA who often pass themselves off as the OC.

If you feel up to it embarrass them by going to the press

JonCris the letter is on RBS headed notepaper with the Ironmaster's Address on it which is engraved on my memory from when they hounded DH when he was alive.

Interestingly, when I reclaimed our bank charges over a year ago, RBS claimed that we had outstanding debts with them which was untrue. I phoned Shakespeares Solicitors and a person there checked up and said they had "forgotten" to forward on the £20,000+ the thieving toe rags had taken from our house sale to settle the debts to RBS which meant we couldn't settle all our outstanding debts to our creditors on a pro rata basis.

He couldn't even bring himself to say "sorry".

I sincerely hope he becomes part of the RBS redundancy package and ends up in the local job centre.