British Gas default help.

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 4722 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hi Folks,

Had an account a few year ago with British Gas and the final bill went unpaid until earlier this year and I have a default for it.

Lokoing at the templates ets they seen to be for agreements covered by the CCA and for bank charges etc.

I have never gave written consent to BG but they say as not covered By CCA they do not need written consent just starting an account with them allows them and also do they still have to give you 28 days notice before a default is registered?

any help or template letter for this senerio would be appreciated.

Ida x

Please contact a member of the site team if you are offered help off the forum for a a paid or no win no fee service.

Please consider making a small donation to help keep this site running

Click here to donate through PayPal (opens in a new window)

• 3 weeks later...

After emailing BG got a call from someone at BG who have stated that they do not need written consent and do not need to give notice for any defaults and should have just paid my bills on time. Very nice chap he was ;)

No i am assuming and trying to research before i get the next call so can someone answer or pint me in the right direction to the following?

1. Would BG need my written consent to process my data with thrid parties? I called them up when I moved into this property and certainly nothing like that was agreed over the phone.

2. For the default, shoudl they have not sent me something like ' youhave 28 days to pay this or get a default? (please correct me on time limit)

3. if after the next call they still won;t budge, under an SAR would they need to provide all corress sent to me like the default notice as such?

Ida x

Please contact a member of the site team if you are offered help off the forum for a a paid or no win no fee service.

Hi Ida

I've no answers I'm afraid but I'm bumping your thread because I'm in a similar situation.

Having recently checked my Equifax file I have discovered I have a default from British Gas from April 2004, for an account relating to an address I moved out of in 2001!

I was unaware of any outstanding debt, but now I could do with some clarification of the rules regarding utility defaults so I now how to proceed.

I wasn't even aware that it was possible to default on a utility bill, I thought they issued CCJs...

PIAB x

Iv'e had another email back from someone in the md's office who still ainlt budging so still trying to find out the points above, If so will update. If you find anything pay let me know

ida

Hi

Does anyone have any advise on this? i've just been declined a car loan (i've had 40 grand car loans in the past, never missed a payment) i ordered creditexpert and found a default on there from BG at my current address that i never knew existed!

was going to send the sample letter that i found on here but as its not a CCA agreement will they just ignore it?

can anyone tell me what is step 1 in what is probably a long drawn out process?

regards

Leighton

I cannot imagine that BG are exempt from the requirement that they must obtain your consent before passing on your data.

I would suggest that you lodge a noice of dispute with the CRA and send BG an S.A.R - (Subject Access Request) asking for all info relating to you including copy agreements etc.

In your CRA notice point out to them that the reason for your dispute is that BG are processing your data without consent and also that they have failed to follow any of the procedures laid down in the Information Commissioner guidelines.

You should start familiarising yourself with these guidelines.

I would also suggest that you buy yourself a telephone recording device from Maplins and call BG again and see if you can get them to say agin that they don't need permissions etc. Don't worry about warning them. Just get the recording an I expect that you will be able to get them to melt away..

I had a run-in with BG a few years ago. When I produced recordings of admissions made by their staff, they blustered and threatened but eventually they conceded my point and even paid me compensation.

• 1 month later...

Just to update.

I checked my CF from yesterday and there is no mention of BG on it at all.

Although I used credit expert before, i am now using that 3 in 1 site and nothing on any 3 of them.

Ida x