Barclaycard/Mercers debt

NandJ

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 4878 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hi guys. In June 2005 Barclaycard placed a default notice on my report for an unpaid credit card bill. If memory serves me correctly I remember receiving demands for payment up until that point but stupidly I ignored them. I haven't heard from Mercers or Barclaycard since and I was wondering what I could do about the default notice. Other than contacting them and trying to reach a settlement figure (which I really don't want to do!) is my only option to wait it out for another 3 years until the default drops off? All advice appreciated.

Hi guys. In June 2005 Barclaycard placed a default notice on my report for an unpaid credit card bill. If memory serves me correctly I remember receiving demands for payment up until that point but stupidly I ignored them. I haven't heard from Mercers or Barclaycard since and I was wondering what I could do about the default notice. Other than contacting them and trying to reach a settlement figure (which I really don't want to do!) is my only option to wait it out for another 3 years until the default drops off? All advice appreciated.

Yes, you'd have to wait another 3 years...Unless, of course, you can prove the debt is unenforcable by the means of a CCA request etc.

Just hate every DCA out there

Thanks for the reply. Any idea why i haven't been contacted since 2005? Is it simply a case of them not having my address? I wouldn't want to write to them asking for the cca only for them to provide it and get me in more trouble as they'd know where i live..

Thanks for the reply. Any idea why i haven't been contacted since 2005? Is it simply a case of them not having my address? I wouldn't want to write to them asking for the cca only for them to provide it and get me in more trouble as they'd know where i live..

3 years without contact is not unusual in the DCA world

Just hate every DCA out there

Guest forgottenone

Ignore what was here as, even though you don't say you've changed addresses in your opening post, as you say:

Is it simply a case of them not having my address?

So, could this be why you've not heard anything? Just an idea. Disregard if not applicable.

Edited by forgottenone

Good point. I've moved quite a few times since Mercers were threatening me. Still not sure if I should contact them now and dispute the debt to try and clear my report..

I take it you haven't paid them for 3 years, and they haven't contacted you in all this time?

This being the case, i think they know they haven't a leg to stand on CCA wise, i would advise you not to contact them.

As far as the Default notice goes, many posters get mixed up with this as opposed to a default on their credit file. once issued a Default notice cannot be revoked, but its only done as a matter of procedure , in order that they can institute proceedings at some future date if they wished, and has no bearing on anything else.

Whereas a default on your credit file is something quite different, you would have so much trouble trying to get that removed.

Please note i have no legal training any advice i give comes from my own experience and from what i have learned on this site