• Tweets

• Hello CAG Team, I'm adding the contents of the claim to this thread, but wanted to open the thread with an urgent question: Do I have to supply a WS for a claim with a court date that states " at the hearing the court will consider allocation and, time permitting, give an early neutral evaluation of the case" ? letter is an N24 General Form of Judgement or Order, if so, then I've messed up again. Court date 25 May 2024 The letter from court does not state (like the other claims I have) that I must provide WS within 28 days.. BUT I have recently received a WS from Link for it! making me think I do need to!??
    • Massive issues from Scottish Power I wonder if someone could advise next steps. Tennant moved out I changed the electric into my name I was out the country at the time so I hadn't been to the flat. During sign up process they tried to hijack my gas supply as well which I made it clear I didn't want duel fuel from them but they still went ahead with it. Phoned them up again. a few days later telling them to make sure they stopped it but they said too late ? had to get my current supplier to cancel it. Paid £50 online to ensure there was money covering standing charges etc eventually got to the flat no power. Phoned Scottish Power 40 minutes to get through they state I have a pay as you go meter and that they had set me up on a credit account so they need to send an engineer out which they will pass my details onto. Phone called from engineer asking questions , found out the float is vacant so not an emergency so I have to speak to Scottish Power again. Spoke with the original person from Scottish Power who admitted a mistake (I had told her it was vacant) and now states that it will take 4 weeks to get an appointment but if I want to raise a complaint they will contact me in 48 hours and it will be looked at quicker. Raised a complaint , complaints emailed me within 24 hours to say it will take 7 days till he speaks with me. All I want is power in the property would I be better switching over to EON who supply the gas surely they could sort it out quicker? One thing is for sure I will never bother with Scottish Power ever again.    
    • Hi. Please don't follow McD's advice to contact Met to appeal. They won't listen and you could end up giving them helpful information. HB
    • The UK-based mining giant Anglo American says it has received a takeover proposal from Australia's BHP.View the full article
  • Recommended Topics

• Our picks

• If you are buying a used car – you need to read this survival guide.
      • 1 reply
    • Hello,

On 15/1/24 booked appointment with Big Motoring World (BMW) to view a mini on 17/1/24 at 8pm at their Enfield dealership.  

Car was dirty and test drive was two circuits of roundabout on entry to the showroom.  Was p/x my car and rushed by sales exec and a manager into buying the mini and a 3yr warranty that night, sale all wrapped up by 10pm.  They strongly advised me taking warranty out on car that age (2017) and confirmed it was honoured at over 500 UK registered garages.

The next day, 18/1/24 noticed amber engine warning light on dashboard , immediately phoned BMW aftercare team to ask for it to be investigated asap at nearest garage to me. After 15 mins on hold was told only their 5 service centres across the UK can deal with car issues with earliest date for inspection in March ! Said I’m not happy with that given what sales team advised or driving car. Told an amber warning light only advisory so to drive with caution and call back when light goes red.

I’m not happy to do this, drive the car or with the after care experience (a sign of further stresses to come) so want a refund and to return the car asap.

Please can you advise what I need to do today to get this done. 

Many thanks 
      • 81 replies
    • Housing Association property flooding. https://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/topic/438641-housing-association-property-flooding/&do=findComment&comment=5124299
      • 161 replies
    • We have finally managed to obtain the transcript of this case.

The judge's reasoning is very useful and will certainly be helpful in any other cases relating to third-party rights where the customer has contracted with the courier company by using a broker.
      This is generally speaking the problem with using PackLink who are domiciled in Spain and very conveniently out of reach of the British justice system.

Frankly I don't think that is any accident.

One of the points that the judge made was that the customers contract with the broker specifically refers to the courier – and it is clear that the courier knows that they are acting for a third party. There is no need to name the third party. They just have to be recognisably part of a class of person – such as a sender or a recipient of the parcel.

Please note that a recent case against UPS failed on exactly the same issue with the judge held that the Contracts (Rights of Third Parties) Act 1999 did not apply.

We will be getting that transcript very soon. We will look at it and we will understand how the judge made such catastrophic mistakes. It was a very poor judgement.
      We will be recommending that people do include this adverse judgement in their bundle so that when they go to county court the judge will see both sides and see the arguments against this adverse judgement.
      Also, we will be to demonstrate to the judge that we are fair-minded and that we don't mind bringing everything to the attention of the judge even if it is against our own interests.
      This is good ethical practice.

It would be very nice if the parcel delivery companies – including EVRi – practised this kind of thing as well.

OT APPROVED, 365MC637, FAROOQ, EVRi, 12.07.23 (BRENT) - J v4.pdf

Cabot Say Debt Not Statute Barred: What Do I Do Next???**WON**

PossVox
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 5476 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Whilst I agree its unlikely they would be foolish enough to pull a fast one its not beyond possibility. They certainly would not be the first shower of s**t to tell a debtor they were not continuing and then seek a sneaky default judgement.

I absolutely agree ODC ...you can never be too careful. Keep your eye well and truly on this particular ball.

Also drop a line to the OFT. Link below shows they are onto the Charging Orders business now and I am pretty sure that's what Cabot were up to with you. I would complain to the department named in the link and c.c. to the Credit licensing dept at the OFT - you should find an email address on their web site. If not just send in the mail.

The Consumer Forums - Announcements in Forum : Debt Collection Industry

The OFT has just stuffed the DCAs issuing of Statutory Demands and given First Credit and almighty rollicking they are now turning their attention to the abuse of the Charging Order. If they keep this up these bottom feeding DCAs will soon be out of business. We can only hope.

Edited by Rhia
spelling

• Replies 298
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Just a word of warning. Unless you hear OFFICIALLY in writing from the COURT then you should attend.

Agree with ODC, phone the court asap, ask whether the court has received their Notice of Discontinuance.

Do we trust them? does anyone who knows them? NO!

Please note i have no legal training any advice i give comes from my own experience and from what i have learned on this site

Thanks to everyone for their comments, all sound advice as ever.

I won't allow myself to believe that i'm completely out of the woods yet, not until

a) i have the notice of discontinuance in my hand and

b) the court confirm that they have their copy.

We all know how devious these people can be.

Nothing in today's post but I only spoke to the "solicitors" yesterday afternoon so i'm prepared to wait until early next week before i start kicking off.

PV :-)

LOWELLS-Stat Demand Set Aside-No CCA & Statute Barred-£1800-Gone Away-April 2008

Scotcall on behalf of Cabot-£2200-no CCA returned to Cabot-file closed-March 2009

Cabot-Court Claim issued despite no CCA and Stat Barred-Claim discontinued-March 2009

IF I HAVE BEEN HELPFUL PLEASE CLICK MY SCALES. :)

You could always turn up anyway asking for a wasted costs order/expenses?

Nationwide-A&L-Halifax 1-Student Loans Company-NatWest-Virgin Media-Link-Capital One ALL WON!

Thames Credit -statute barred sent 13/11/08

BCW- prove debt letter- 14/08/08

Apex- CCA 14/08/08

Redcats UK- SAR 14/04/09

Call Serve- CCA 14/08/08

Littlewoods- no CCA letter 03/09/08- Lowells now

Wescot- CCA 19/9/08

Capital One/Debitas- now with Lowells

Any opinions are without prejudice & without liability. All information has been obtained from this site. If you are unsure, please seek professional advice. .

Nice idea emma but i want to avoid the hearing because i'm supposed to be away on holiday that week!

LOWELLS-Stat Demand Set Aside-No CCA & Statute Barred-£1800-Gone Away-April 2008

Scotcall on behalf of Cabot-£2200-no CCA returned to Cabot-file closed-March 2009

Cabot-Court Claim issued despite no CCA and Stat Barred-Claim discontinued-March 2009

I'd just keep ringing the court.

Nationwide-A&L-Halifax 1-Student Loans Company-NatWest-Virgin Media-Link-Capital One ALL WON!

Thames Credit -statute barred sent 13/11/08

BCW- prove debt letter- 14/08/08

Apex- CCA 14/08/08

Redcats UK- SAR 14/04/09

Call Serve- CCA 14/08/08

Littlewoods- no CCA letter 03/09/08- Lowells now

Wescot- CCA 19/9/08

Capital One/Debitas- now with Lowells

Any opinions are without prejudice & without liability. All information has been obtained from this site. If you are unsure, please seek professional advice. .

I agree to keep an eagle eye on the schmucks but the Notice of Discontinuation will also go to the court so they can vacate the date of the hearing.

Hodson's will have called you on Friday to say it was happening. Their letter/notice of discontinuation should be here today; tomorrow at the latest. Keep it and the envelope. Let the court have a copy of the notice without delay.

Do not halt any action until you have the actual Notice.

However - in my experience with Cabot/Hodson's AKA Morgan's - once they say they are discontinuing they do actually do so. After all they have utterly failed to frighten you into a last minute offer. They know you have rumbled them. Evidentially they are up sh1te creek so why carry on? Plenty of unsuspecting people to frighten (until they find CAG that is).

Edited by Rhia

Hi,

Update:

Phoned local county court a few minutes ago and they have received the notice of discontinuance and actioned it! Hearing before allocation also vacated.

Letter in the post from cabot to say thanks for my email of comlplaint and that they are investigating and will be in touch within 10 days. Also enclosed their complaints procedure, boy am i going to be using that information to its fullest!

Thanks to all CAGgers who've helped and supported me so far, i just need cabot to close my "account" and bog off for good now.

Edited by PossVox
bad typing!

Cheers mate!

Do you expect them to close my "account" and disappear now? If they really ARE investgating my complaint seriously then that's the obvious conclusion, right?

Hi,

I have followed x20's excellent guide to claiming for wasted costs.

Filled in a form N252 and typed up a separate letter detailing what costs i intend to ask for.

Just phoned the county court and they tell me that I would need to complete an N1 and start a fresh claim against cabot.

I explained that I had completed an N252 and detailed my costs. They asked me who had advised me and I said it was a solicitor (x20!).

The CC manager told me that they aren’t legally qualified to process my paperwork even if I handed it in to them. Also said that it is not normal procedure for defendant to claim costs when a case is discontinued!

Very confusing!

Any ideas?

Thanks

PV :confused:

Hi,

Having read x20's advice again, i think i don't involve the court yet.

I think i just serve the N252 on cabot's solicitors initially and what i'm asking for is actually an out of court settlement at this stage.

Anyone know if this is the correct interpretation?

Thanks

Hi,

Think i have it sorted re N252, they will receive it tomorrow and i await their response.

• 2 weeks later...

Update:

Received this from Cabot:

Cabot-Response.jpg

Sent a Wasted Costs Order in today to their solicitors.

Thanks to everyone for their contributions and support-you know who you are!

PV :D

And now this:

Cabot-DataResponse.jpg

Where they admit that;

1. They never had a CCA or any other paperwork

and

2. That it was Statute Barred all along

and

3. They can process my data DESPITE NOT HAVING ANY AGREEMENT! (Hello Information Commissioners's Office?!)

I have learned to send all letters by RECORDED DELIVERY, KEEP A FILE of all correspondence and it seems OK to use email as they WILL RESPOND to them.

I hope that this thread gives hope and encouragement to anyone else who is fighting Cabot.

I will update re costs.

You can WIN with the power of CAG!

P.S. should it be moved to the WON section and maybe also to the Cabot Fan Club Section?

Thanks Saintly!

Let's see what they come up with re Costs, I'll send a nice fat donation to The CAG if they cough up!

(I still owe Rhia a few pints too!)

Cheers PV :D

Hi Poss been away a few days. This last letter is gibberish of the highest order.

They admit they don't have any agreement or other paperwork which gives them the legal right to process your personal data.

Therefore they have unlawfully been reporting adverse material to the CRAs between 2000-2006. A complaint to the ICO I think.

• Haha 1

• 2 weeks later...

Absolutely brilliant!

Excellent result well done PV!

I am only just taking up the fight with these muppets please see my thread-any comments/help would be greatly appreciated:

http://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/forum/debt-collection-industry/192874-cabot-direct-debit-cancel.html

Thanks,

Redletter.

PS Did you get the costs in the end?

Redletter

'I believe the struggle for financial freedom is unfair - I believe the only ones who disagree are millionaires!'