Cabot Say Debt Not Statute Barred: What Do I Do Next???**WON**

PossVox
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 5448 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hi DB,

Thanks for your advice.

I have requested proof of the alleged payment and also sight of the original CCA by way of a CPR 31.14 request - Crapbot have totally ignored this request.

If I HAD made a payment in 2004 then the original default from 2001 would still be on my CRA file and it is not.

I'm sure they have nothing to produce but I really do need to conclude this sorry chapter for the sake of my health.

I will wait until the end of this week and then kick off! My MP's office is only 2 miles from me...

PV :-):-)

LOWELLS-Stat Demand Set Aside-No CCA & Statute Barred-£1800-Gone Away-April 2008

Scotcall on behalf of Cabot-£2200-no CCA returned to Cabot-file closed-March 2009

Cabot-Court Claim issued despite no CCA and Stat Barred-Claim discontinued-March 2009

IF I HAVE BEEN HELPFUL PLEASE CLICK MY SCALES. :)

• Replies 298
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Good evening ODC,

I have just booked an appointment for a face to face meeting with my MP at her next surgery which is a week on Friday.

I'm going to discuss my Crapbot problem and also talk to her about DCAs in general and CAG specifically.

It's time the powers that be were made fully aware of the misery and suffering caused by these parasites.

Cheers,

PV :-)

LOWELLS-Stat Demand Set Aside-No CCA & Statute Barred-£1800-Gone Away-April 2008

Scotcall on behalf of Cabot-£2200-no CCA returned to Cabot-file closed-March 2009

Cabot-Court Claim issued despite no CCA and Stat Barred-Claim discontinued-March 2009

My MP is a qualified Barrister and has been a great help to me. If your MP is a member of the Broonites with a slender majority then I suggest that they may be very keen to help in view of the strong possibility that they will need every vote in the upcoming election. Its wonderful what a nice letter on House of Commons notepaper can do especially when they mention the Attorney General by first name.

Hehehe! :D

Yes, my MP is indeed of the Red Rose variety and will definitely be aiming to please I should imagine!

I'll let you know how the meeting goes.

I have listed the subjects that I wish to discuss as:

1: Crapbot

2: DCAs in general and that we need a government review of the laws which regulate them

3: Charging Orders and the recent change in the law regarding them.

It's a 2 hour surgery so I hope no-one else wants to talk to their MP next Friday! :-)

PV

This is the email I sent to my MP's office

Dear Ian,

I would be most grateful if you could arrange an appointment at my MP's surgery in *** at the earliest opportunity.

I am currently being harassed by Cabot Financial, a debt collection agency, for a debt which is over 7 years old and is therefore barred by the Statute of Limitations Act 1980.

Despite repeated requests for information regarding the alleged debt, and informing them that it is Statute Barred, this company have recently issued a claim against me in the Northampton (Bulk) County Court. By issuing a claim in a bulk centre, I strongly believe that they were hoping that they could gain a judgement against me by default.

I obviously disputed the whole of their claim, which is for almost £*000 and consists of mainly illegal charges, and entered a skeleton defence.

Furthermore, I requested, using the Court Procedure Rules section 31.14, that they disclose information regarding all payments they claim that I have made and also a copy of the credit agreement.

They have completely ignored these requests and, furthermore, failed to respond to the court within 28 days leading to the case being stayed. I am now in a situation where I have the stress of a possible court case hanging over me.

I am concerned for my mental health due to the pressure this company are putting me under. I also believe that they are abusing the court process by issuing a claim against me regarding a debt which they are unable to prove is owed by me and is also barred by statute.

Their are other anomolies regarding their claim which I would like to discuss with my MP face to face.

An overhaul of the rules governing these debt collection agencies and their bullying behaviour towards the public is sorely overdue.

I recently contacted your office with regard to the change in the law regarding Charging Orders (charging orders are already sought by debt collection agencies all too readily) and I thank you for your replies thus far.

I look forward to hearing from you,

Yours sincerely

How's that for starters?

I would add another paragraph under "I also believe that they are abusing the court process by issuing a claim against me regarding a debt which they are unable to prove is owed by me and is also barred by statute."

I would state that the fact the alleged debt has fallen off the credit records proves beyond doubt that it is statute barred. Although the burden of proof is on them to prove that the debt is valid, and not on me to prove it isn't, I CAN prove and HAVE proved that it isn't.

SH

I shall be taking my CRA file with me my friend! It's clean!

I don't know what response I'll get, but I'm hoping that even if my MP won't get embroiled in my own personal battle with the creatures from west malling, then at least I can plug CAG and get my point across regarding the lawless ways of the DCAs.

Wish me luck!

• 4 months later...

Hi,

It's been quite while since I last updated this thread but there has been nothing more to report until today!

I sent a CPR request to Cabot twice in September and they chose to completely ignore these, they did responded to a CCA request sent at the same time, but not until November.

In November they stated that they had been unable to find the paperwork and that my account was on hold.

This morning I received a notice of transfer of the court claim from Northampton Bulk CC to my local court.

I phoned my local court and was informed that the stay was lifted at Northampton and transferred yesterday.

I was told that a District Judge will make a decision as to whether the case should be heard, stayed or dismissed, this decision should be made in the next 7 days.

HELP PLEASE!!!!!

Hiya...just on my way out and not had time to reappraise myself of your case but I had a run in with MBNA and Cabot. Don't panic. Use the cpr rules to get any info from Cabot. If you haven't SAR'd both MBNA and Cabot do so now - just to see what this says.

Will PM you when I get back. And do not panic at all. This is rowlocks.

Hi,

Thanks Rhia.

Much appreciated.

Hi,

I just read my CPR 31.14 request sent to Cabot and this paragraph interests me...

"If you are unable to comply with this request and believe that you will never be able to comply with this request you must tell me in writing.

Please note that if you should fail to comply with this request, fail to request more time or fail to agree to an extension of time for the filing of my defence, I will make an application to the court for an order that the proceedings be struck out or stayed for non-compliance and a summary costs order.

I do hope this will not be necessary and look forward to hearing from you.

yours faithfully"

Since Cabot have not responded to my 31.14 AT ALL, does this mean I can write to the court and ask for the case to be struck out?

Would it be worth sending Cabot an "ACCOUNT IN SERIOUS DISPUTE" letter as I beleieve that non-compliance with a CCA request (requested in September) means that they cannot take court action?

Edited by PossVox
additions

Just been through my file and I have already sent an "ACCOUNT IN SERIOUS DISPUTE" letter back in October!

:confused: PV

Maybe I should write to Crapot and remind them that, since they have placed my account on hold, due to them not providing a CCA as requested, that they cannot proceed with legal action as the account remains in serious dispute?

Just a thought.

Anyone?

Hi,

I just read my CPR 31.14 request sent to Cabot and this paragraph interests me...

"If you are unable to comply with this request and believe that you will never be able to comply with this request you must tell me in writing.

Please note that if you should fail to comply with this request, fail to request more time or fail to agree to an extension of time for the filing of my defence, I will make an application to the court for an order that the proceedings be struck out or stayed for non-compliance and a summary costs order.

I do hope this will not be necessary and look forward to hearing from you.

yours faithfully"

Since Cabot have not responded to my 31.14 AT ALL, does this mean I can write to the court and ask for the case to be struck out?

Would it be worth sending Cabot an "ACCOUNT IN SERIOUS DISPUTE" letter as I beleieve that non-compliance with a CCA request (requested in September) means that they cannot take court action?

You can carry out the threat you made in your CPR 31.14 request, this will cost you £75, you can download the form from the HMCS website.

Dont bother writing to cabot, now that the matter is in court

Have you had an Allocation Questionaire to fill in?

It would also be worth re-posting up the POC, and your defence to it, in order to help us to sort out the best way forward

Please note i have no legal training any advice i give comes from my own experience and from what i have learned on this site

Hi CCM,

Thanks for the reply.

Do you think it is worth paying the £75? Is it a DJ who looks at it?

No AQ yet, the clerk at County Court said that a DJ would look at the claim this week and decide whether to let it proceed, stay it or throw it out.

I'll try and post up the PoC a.s.a.p.

POC:

CRAPOT001.jpg

Hi CCM,

Thanks for the reply.

Do you think it is worth paying the £75? Is it a DJ who looks at it?

No AQ yet, the clerk at County Court said that a DJ would look at the claim this week and decide whether to let it proceed, stay it or throw it out.

I'll try and post up the PoC a.s.a.p.

I need to re-read everything again, that's why the POC/Defence will be useful.

It is form N244 BTW. Yes a judge does have to look at all ANs...not sure yet whether its worth it

Please note i have no legal training any advice i give comes from my own experience and from what i have learned on this site

Thanks for taking the time for me.

I'm bricking it to be honest, I'd like to nip it in the bud!

Basically, last July, I told Crapot it's a Stat Barred debt, they replied stating that I made a payment on X th May 2004 (they didn't bother sending any proof of payment though).

I also CCA'd them at the same time, they have sent the usual "we are working hard..." etc letters but no CCA.

Then they put the claim in against me at Northampton BCC and I received a NOA, allegedly from MBNA, THE DAY AFTER the CC Claim!

I put in a basic defence and the case was stayed.

I requested documentation under CPR 31.14---TWICE--I heard nothing.

Crapot wrote in November stating my "account" is on hold as they haven't found a CCA yet.

Today I get notice that they have had the stay removed and moved the case to my local CC.

Hope that helps!

p.s. This debt shows up as defaulted by Kings Hill No.1 in October 2000 and is no longer on my credit file (now, if I HAD made a payment in 2004, surely it would still be there?

Thanks again,

PV

Edited by PossVox
additions

All I put in my defence was:

I defend the claim in full.

That, despite requests, I have received no paperwork/other evidence from cabot to substantiate their claim.

The debt, should it exist, is statute barred and my credit files are clean.

Stupidly, I didn't keep a copy of my defence for myself! Duh!

Hope that info helps.

Ta.

Ok, give me a bit of time, ill come up with something, may need to ask a few more questions, just helping a few others, but now have you on my sticky notes:)

Thanks CCM, I really do appreciate your help.

I'm away from the computer between 6 and 8pm this evening but I'll be glued to the screen after that!

This is a long thread, i have read the 1st few pages, this claim was issued last September, you really should have been pressing for some action a long time ago...however, it now seems that they have requested the stay be lifted and to that end it has been transferred to your local court.

You should now be getting an AQ to fill in, have you got this? if so what date must you file it by?

Since you haven't filed a suitable defence, we will need details of the relevant facts in order to complete the AQ

1. have you had a copy of the agreement?

2. have you had a letter before action?

3. earlier capquest was mentioned, what was/is their invovement?

4. have you had a notice of assignment from both the original creditor and cabot and capquest, if they were involved?

5. what date does the alledged account date from roughly?