Bought item, 2 days later it goes on promotion with 1/3 off

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 5689 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hi,

On Thursday, I bought a jacket for £359 from a large retailer in the UK. Today (2 working days after), the item has gone on sale for £259 (£100 knocked off)

There was no warning of a sale coming on and I would not mind if it was a few quid but this is ridiculous...

How do I stand with going back and trying to get some money back?

Thanks

[CENTER][CENTER][B] Has this post helped you?[/B] [/CENTER] [LEFT][CENTER]If so please click on the scales!! [LEFT][B]<--------------------------------[/B] [/LEFT] [/CENTER] [/LEFT] [/CENTER]

How do I stand with going back and trying to get some money back?

Basically, you don't.

I'm afraid that you are going to have to accept that life's a bitch!

In buying the item, you entered into a contract with the vendor to purchase the item at an agreed price. You have both fulfilled your respective parts of the contract.

Suppose that the retailer put on a price increase of £100 instead of reducing it. Would you now be concerned about going back to the shop and offering them the extra £100?

Sorry if it's not what you wanted to hear. Just one of life's little jokes....you have to take it on the chin.

If it's any consolation, it happens to me all the time.

Regards, Rooster.

If this has been useful to you, please click on the scales at bottom left of post. Thanks.

Advice & opinions of Rooster-UK are offered informally, without prejudice & without liability. Please use your own judgment.

-------------------------------------------------------

LOOK! Free CAG Toolbar.

Follow link for more information.

------------------------------------------------------

Please donate,

Help us to help others.

LINKS....

Forum Rules.

FAQs....

Appreciate the honest reply and of course, if they did increase the price then I would be laughing...

Wonder if the vendor will offer a good will gesture just as Apple did on the iphone, worth a shot...?

[CENTER][CENTER][B] Has this post helped you?[/B] [/CENTER] [LEFT][CENTER]If so please click on the scales!! [LEFT][B]<--------------------------------[/B] [/LEFT] [/CENTER] [/LEFT] [/CENTER]

Unless you've damaged it, take it back and say you don't want it anymore. They'll have to refund the price you paid unless, as I said, you've damaged it in some way.

Wait until the money goes back in, then go and buy it at the cheaper price.

Before I get flamed, I don't think that's illegal at all. Immoral, perhaps :)

Not damaged at all, I've worn it (and this is not some posing designer jacket, its personal protective equipment)

Its £100 of immoral :oops:

Unless it is faulty they are not obliged to refund, just because you've changed your mind.

You can try, but personally I wouldn't hold out too much hope.

If this has been useful to you, please click on the scales at bottom left of post. Thanks.

Advice & opinions of Rooster-UK are offered informally, without prejudice & without liability. Please use your own judgment.

-------------------------------------------------------

LOOK! Free CAG Toolbar.

Follow link for more information.

------------------------------------------------------

Please donate,

Help us to help others.

LINKS....

Forum Rules.

FAQs....

Guest littlesally

You'll need the receipt though, or they'll only refund the cost of it now!

Sally x

Will have a chat to them tomorrow about the promo price, the manager seems a good guy but will not hold much hope

As rooster said, tough luck really!

isn't there a cooling off period? If it's PPE, all you need to do is find some fault, however petty, and say it's not actually fit for purpose. Under-arm ventilation flaps not as large as you'd expected, or the pockets don't hold enough thing-a-bobs, or something.

Don't mention the change in price, though, or they'll twig straight away what you're up to :)

If you take it back within the stores policy of a money back guarantee that is fine, however if you damage the product either accidentally or on purpose and take the product back for a inherently faulty refund this is in fact illegal and comes under fraud.

If the product is already damaged that is an entirely different matter, however unfortunately with these types of things you have accepted to buy the product at the previous price, whilst it may be annoying that its gone didn't seem to have a problem paying that amount and would be down to the managers goodwill/

Ex-Retail Manager who is happy to offer helpful advise in many consumer problems based on my retail experience. Any advise I do offer is my opinion and how I understand the law.

• 4 weeks later...
isn't there a cooling off period?

Nope/ You only get a cooling off period if some statute provides for it or the seller agrees to one of their own accord.

the only thing that can be done in circumstances like this are:

1. check the sellers terms to see if they allow change of mind refunds. It is likely however that they will refund at the current selling price.

2. If you have asked whether there will be a sale and are told no, when in fact that person knows there is, then you will have grounds to claim the difference but proving so much will be more difficult than getting Beijing to admit to fraud

3. Cry/grit teeth /kick cat (no, dont) / sigh and carry on.

You wouldnt be happy if they put the price up and came chasing after you for the difference!

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...