Statute Barred & CCJ's

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 5763 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hello,

Just looking for some advice, hope someone can help!

In 2001 I received a CCJ from Lloyds TSB regarding an unpaid credit card debt. Once the CCJ was issued, I never paid anything to it and wasn't pursued either. The CCJ has since expired on my credit file and i have had finance from TSB since. However, recently I have received letters and calls from McKenzie Hall, whom state they have purchased the debt from TSB. Because of the time elapsed I thought it would be statute barred, but I have been told that this does not apply to debt where a CCJ has been issued. What action can they take against me? Can I really still be pursued for this and what are the possible consequences? Any help would be appreciated as its taken me many years to repair my credit file!

Thanks.

Guest Old_andrew2018

Hi Gaji,

Have you responded to McKenzie Hall in any way, I am no expert however IMHO, a ccj will not expire, I believe they may have to go back to court, again I am no expert, but am sure that an experienced member will be along soon.

Hi Gaji,

Have you responded to McKenzie Hall in any way, I am no expert however IMHO, a ccj will not expire, I believe they may have to go back to court, again I am no expert, but am sure that an experienced member will be along soon.

Mac Hall (or Eff Hall) will need to explain to a District Judge why the CCJ has not been enforced within six years from the date it was granted. they will need a good reason before the Judge will allow any enforcement.

I am a lawyer, but I am an academic lawyer. I do not practice as a barrister or solicitor. You should consult a practising Solicitor BEFORE taking any Court or other action

Above is correct they would need to go back to court to re-

inforce the CCJ.

But you can still send them a CCA

Consumer Credit Act template - Consumer Wiki

Ida x

Please contact a member of the site team if you are offered help off the forum for a a paid or no win no fee service.

Please consider making a small donation to help keep this site running

Click here to donate through PayPal (opens in a new window)

A CCJ is never spent, and the court could enforce it at their discretion even after 6 years has passed, although they would need to show a valid reason it took so long to collect the debt. If you move and try to conceal your new address, then the limitation period may start from when the creditor finds out where you have moved to.

It could be construed as being statute barred once a debt is six years old, and you dont need to do anything, as a court cant issue a judgment.This is wrong , you always need to defend a court action. How much are you looking at to clear the debt?

WARNING TO ALL

Please be aware of acting on advice given by PM .Anyone can make mistakes and if advice is given on the main forum people can see it to correct it ,if given privately then no one can see it to correct it. Please also be aware of giving your personal details to strangers

I would treat this as if they know about it, and coming after you for the money. The next step could be a charging order on your property. You could ask them for a copy of the Notice of Assignment, that should prove if they know about it.

WARNING TO ALL

Please be aware of acting on advice given by PM .Anyone can make mistakes and if advice is given on the main forum people can see it to correct it ,if given privately then no one can see it to correct it. Please also be aware of giving your personal details to strangers

Guest forgottenone

It's the letter/allocation notice instructing you the debt is being transferred to a third party eg to a DCA. Which they are supposed to do before selling it or passing it on as a legal requirement - don't always, however. If I got that wrong, forgive me. Am a learner. :)

Edited by forgottenone