Parcelforce clearance fee's (C&E duty etc)

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 3424 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Further willful obfuscation, very disappointing. My argument is not with HMRC, they levy the charges established by statute and I am content to pay statutory duties.

I suspect that you understand, only too well, the relevant issue but choose to ignore it. Royal Mail does not have the legal right to detain parcels pending payment of the clearance fee - the law on this point is absolutely clear.

• Replies 391
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Perhaps an email from a senior Royal Mail employee (Alex Murie, Senior Customer Service Advisor), will serve as the QED on this matter:

'Firstly, please accept my apologies that it has been necessary for you to bring this matter to my attention. I fully appreciate how important it is for our customers to have confidence in our ability to provide a reliable service and it is always disappointing when a customer expresses dissatisfaction with any aspect of what we do.

I should explain that we are obliged to release any item of mail if you elect to pay the VAT charge so by way of apology I have advised the Delivery Office concerned to waive the £8 Royal Mail handling fee altogether. If you wish to either collect your item or arrange a re-delivery we will only request payment of the VAT charge levied by Customs and Excise.

I have also contacted the Regional Operations Director’s Office, which is responsible for the staff and services we provide in the London postcode sectors. All the staff serving in this area will be briefed on the correct process to follow for Customs & Excise fees.

Again please accept my apologies for any inconvenience this matter has caused. I would like to assure you that we at Royal Mail are constantly striving to ensure that our customers receive the level of service they have every right to expect. I hope that the action above resolves your enquiry and concludes this matter. However if you are dissatisfied with my response you can ask to have your case reviewed by the Postal Review Panel.

Very interesting. I was annoyed because they put the wrong card through my door saying the sender did not pay postage and when I rang I was told that I could not have that info until I paid the postal charge and their fee, which they said was £1. As a newly widowed pensioner and disabled I was very upset by this attitude.

I could not access the site to pay online and could not get out to the post office. I was told that I could not pay at the door. It was a bad experience, believe me, because when I gave my situation I was told to pay a carer to do it all for me. When I asked if I could know when the package would be delivered (and remember I was not told who sent it, and I had made minor purchases of patchwork fabric on Ebay US and had paid all the shipping costs) I did not know what to expect, and they actually told me that someone would have to wait in for me because I cannot get to the door quickly enough for them to wait.

My own postman is very nice and was not from the office where the parcel was held.

It was a very bad exoerience and one I do not wish to repeat, and I think they have improved the pay on line method. In my case it turned out to be a customs charge. I had not purchased enough to incurr a duty charge, but when it came I noted that the person who had put the value on the parcel had in fact included the shipping costs in addition to the item value.

I try not to go above the £18 limit. I am making a project which includes fabrics that original in US and are not available here. The shipping costs from US are actually in many cases much less than the cost of duty plus the £8 Royal Mail charge, so it is much better just to buy up to the £18 equivalent. The package comes through the letterbox as normal and there is no hastle, unless, of course the seller makes the same mistake.

So now I make sure the value does not incurr duty, unless I splash out a bit, then I expect it and am prepared. Us Postal service packet is about $11 on average, much less sometimes, so that is what I do. It is useless to fight a company like the Royal Mail because they are just out to get money from wherever! In the end it just causes misery, and that is what they trade on. I see little difference between these business practices and some criminal actions.

There are too many more worrying things now. I suppose whn the post office pensions get the chop too, and staff have a pay freeze until after the Olympics, life may get better. Let's face it, what can be worse than a global economy gone to the dogs because young untrained bankers out for a fast buck forgot that you cannot have more money circulating, even on the WWW without gold reserves to back up a country's currency. I suppose when that happens and we do not get adverts for our gold, and the Olympics are over, and once again high earners start earning more life may be better fror some of us, until the lending rate hits the roof again and our mortgage interest rises, then who is going to buy anything anyway?

If we do not spend, Customs get no duty, post office gets no fee, balance of finance a bit better - hopefully.

Wait. I've explained the reasoning - yet you choose to ignore it.

Royal Mail have been told to collect the charges of people inporting goods to the UK. When both services were 'government run' then the fees of collection could be shared/combined as they had been in the past.

Not now. RM i a profit centre in its opwn right. You have one part needing to cover its costs due to the government not paying (or subsidising it). So in this new Millennium, if you use a service, you pay for it. If I import. I use an agency because it is cost effective for me to do so. You want to import, yet you have a perverse urge that you should have the service for free...? Dream on!

If you use, you pay. Should you choose NOT to pay, then it'll take just a slight change in the law to ensure your goods are returned to sender, and you get nothing. £8 is not an unreasonable fee for the service provided, and as pointed out earlier, is the cheapest way of importing bar none.

As for what one staff member's opinion is on the matter is an irrelevance. Where is this 'obligation' he talks of? It certainly addresses the matter of paying the tax - but of the RM time and admin to process it? That's a different matter and one not mentioned.

Still - why should I pay and you get if for free? Siunce we're not going to get it for free, it would be foolish toassume that this exception will go unchallenged, so you are fighting a battle you cannot win. You are not forced to import, so in much the same way as you pick the battles you;ve a good chance of winning.... hopefully this supposed 'loophole' will be extinguished once and for all, always assuming it IS one, which I seriously doubt!

For goodness sake Neoconair, get a life! There have to be more important things in life than debating whether or not Parcelforce are allowed to charge a fee for doing their job. They think they can, you think they can't. If you don't like it, use someone else, there's plenty of choice but of course they all charge more.

Regarding their right to detain parcels, think about it, why would they release parcels on a promise of payment later? Its the only bargaining chip they hold. Its only common sense that they would want to keep them, surely that's obvious?

Don't be a martyr to your principles - get out and enjoy the summer weather!

I hate it when good forum threads like this are stained by people whos remit is clearly to defend dubious or unreasonable income streams of big organisations.

Having read this thread (and with a parcel I have waiting to collect where an £8 charge will be attempted tomorrow) it is obvious that they cannot withhold your parcel if you are prepared to pay the VAT portion.

As I'm deaf, I'll be sure to have any conversation over the desk on my notepad.

:)

This fee reminds me of the 'pretend parking tickets' issued by the likes of Parking Eye and other such companies. They'll never legally enforce it when people refuse to pay because, despite being on dodgy ground, as long as they continue billing, most people will pay.

I hate it when good forum threads like this are stained by people whos remit is clearly to defend dubious or unreasonable income streams of big organisations.

Having read this thread (and with a parcel I have waiting to collect where an £8 charge will be attempted tomorrow) it is obvious that they cannot withhold your parcel if you are prepared to pay the VAT portion.

As I'm deaf, I'll be sure to have any conversation over the desk on my notepad.

:)

Far from trying to defend a "dubious income stream" I'm merely injecting some common sense into what seems like a manic pursuit of the impossible dream of not paying for a service, freely entered into, knowing it had a price.

As has been said numerous times before on here, there are other couriers out there and they all charge higher fees - take your pick, or feel free to get stressed and get high blood pressure.

Personally I've got better things to do than rage against the machine for something so trivial. If you want to pick a fight, at least find something worthwhile to attack

This fee reminds me of the 'pretend parking tickets' issued by the likes of Parking Eye and other such companies. They'll never legally enforce it when people refuse to pay because, despite being on dodgy ground, as long as they continue billing, most people will pay.

You're probably right. The difference is that most car parking tickets don't involve the car being held to "ransom" until the fee is paid.

I just think its a massive amount of words, time and stress to escape paying £8.00

^ lol - they've really got you working late richard!

I don't consider unexpected & trumped up charges like this a 'service'.

Perhaps I should go into business cutting peoples toenails whilst they sleep and billing them in the morning? Once they've paid I'll give them their car keys back lol

I choose to pay for services.

I've paid for the product, I've paid for the delivery 'service' and I'm happy to pay VAT at ANY opportunity during the whole process. Perhaps supermarkets should start charging a collection fee for collecting VAT?

This fee is like a non-payment punishment for people who have been given no prior opportunity to pay their VAT.

Seriously man, stop using the word 'service'.

We have two Royal Mail stooges on here - the truth is this:

Thank you for your email 23 April to Mandy Talbot regarding the Royal Mail handling fee. As you are aware I have been asked to look into your case and respond directly to you.

Firstly, please accept my apologies that it has been necessary for you to bring this matter to my attention. I fully appreciate how important it is for our customers to have confidence in our ability to provide a reliable service and it is always disappointing when a customer expresses dissatisfaction with any aspect of what we do.

I should explain that we are obliged to release any item of mail if you elect to pay the VAT charge so by way of apology I have advised the Delivery Office concerned to waive the £8 Royal Mail handling fee altogether. If you wish to either collect your item or arrange a re-delivery we will only request payment of the VAT charge levied by Customs and Excise.

I have also contacted the Regional Operations Director’s Office, which is responsible for the staff and services we provide in the London postcode sectors. All the staff serving in this area will be briefed on the correct process to follow for Customs & Excise fees.

Again please accept my apologies for any inconvenience this matter has caused. I would like to assure you that we at Royal Mail are constantly striving to ensure that our customers receive the level of service they have every right to expect. I hope that the action above resolves your enquiry and concludes this matter. However if you are dissatisfied with my response you can ask to have your case reviewed by the Postal Review Panel. They can be contacted by writing to FREEPOST Postal Review Panel or by email [email protected] .

Yours sincerely

Alex Murrie Senior Customer Service Advisor * FREEPOST High Profile Case Unit

If your depot refuses to give your parcel over after you have offered to pay the Customs fees only, take the name of the person who is holding your parcel, call the police so they can record the incident, prosecute the postal worker.

I am making a complaint about OFT - they have replied once, I have to write to another department, then I will call in the Parliamentary Ombudsman.

You're probably right. The difference is that most car parking tickets don't involve the car being held to "ransom" until the fee is paid.

You're right, this is worse. It is like the copycat parking tickets but with the car being held to ransom. Good point.

I just think its a massive amount of words, time and stress to escape paying £8.00

You're involvement in this thread represents far more words, time, effort etc than anyone else has spent disputing the fee. I only hope you're adequately remunerated for your zealousness.

If I ever have a ridiculous and dubious fee that I need defending in forums like this, I want someone of your calibre on the case.

;)

So clearing customs and collecting duty on behalf of HMRC isn't a service?

Nobody makes anyone use Parcelforce, there's plenty of choice out there, so why make a fuss about what they do? Vote with your feet and choose another carrier.

Still it keeps this forum thread going, doesn't it?

Troll Rickyd knows full well that there is no choice when someone is sending a parcel from the US for instance. Part of Parcelforce is as a Universal Carrier - a parcel will automatically go through Parcelforce if sent via a country's Universal Postal service.

Thank you for your email 23 April to Mandy Talbot regarding the Royal Mail handling fee. As you are aware I have been asked to look into your case and respond directly to you.

Firstly, please accept my apologies that it has been necessary for you to bring this matter to my attention. I fully appreciate how important it is for our customers to have confidence in our ability to provide a reliable service and it is always disappointing when a customer expresses dissatisfaction with any aspect of what we do.

Again please accept my apologies for any inconvenience this matter has caused. I would like to assure you that we at Royal Mail are constantly striving to ensure that our customers receive the level of service they have every right to expect. I hope that the action above resolves your enquiry and concludes this matter. However if you are dissatisfied with my response you can ask to have your case reviewed by the Postal Review Panel. They can be contacted by writing to FREEPOST Postal Review Panel or by email [email protected] m .

Yours sincerely

If your depot refuses to give your parcel over after you have offered to pay the Customs fees only, take the name of the person who is holding your parcel, call the police so they can record the incident, prosecute the postal worker.

I am making a complaint about OFT - they have replied once, I have to write to another department, then I will call in the Parliamentary Ombudsmanlink3.gif

So clearing customs and collecting duty on behalf of HMRC isn't a service?

Not to me it isn't.

Nobody makes anyone use Parcelforce, there's plenty of choice out there, so why make a fuss about what they do? .

I just paid for my product + delivery- I didn't choose the carrier.

Vote with your feet and choose another carrier.

I just paid for my product + delivery- I didn't choose the carrier.

Still it keeps this forum thread going, doesn't it?

That is good for you yes?

You're right, this is worse. It is like the copycat parking tickets but with the car being held to ransom. Good point.

You're involvement in this thread represents far more words, time, effort etc than anyone else has spent disputing the fee. I only hope you're adequately remunerated for your zealousness.

If I ever have a ridiculous and dubious fee that I need defending in forums like this, I want someone of your calibre on the case.

;)

Gee thanks, you're far too kind!

I won't be holding my breath waiting for a postal worker being prosecuted and I would love to hear what the Police say when you call in to report one.

Still glad to see you're still with us, its been a bit dull without your input.

Do you think if I ask nicely Parcelforce would pay me commission?

Again please accept my apologies for any inconvenience this matter has caused. I would like to assure you that we at Royal Mail are constantly striving to ensure that our customers receive the level of service they have every right to expect. I hope that the action above resolves your enquiry and concludes this matter. However if you are dissatisfied with my response you can ask to have your case reviewed by the Postal Review Panel. They can be contacted by writing to FREEPOST Postal Review Panel or by email [email protected] m .

Yours sincerely

I am making a complaint about OFT - they have replied once, I have to write to another department, then I will call in the Parliamentary Ombudsmanlink3.gif.

lol - you are just following orders, no?

:p

No, just logic and common sense

For the record, I'm not now, nor have I ever been employed by Parcelforce or Royal Mail.

You would not believe what I actually do for a living....

Not to me it isn't.

I just paid for my product + delivery- I didn't choose the carrier. - perhaps you should have....

That is good for you yes?

It is tonight, I can't sleep and there's sod all on TV

I would take it all up with Alex Murrie at Royal Mail - he seems to agree with the complainers on the thread.

Yours sincerely

I am making a complaint about OFT - they have replied once, I have to write to another department, then I will call in the Parliamentary Ombudsmanlink3.gif.

Edited by Cracked_Chap

Jeez crackhead - I have read that 8 times already. Ricky D is rapidly becoming only marginally more annoying!

Yes, your letter is marvellous.

Ricky D:

1) By posting in here, do you financially or materially benefit in any way?

2) Are you in any way connected with postal organisations?

3) Are you involved in PR?

Hi all

:confused::?::confused:

I would take it all up with Alex Murrie at Royal Mail - he seems to agree with the complainers on the thread.

Yours sincerely

:confused::?::confused: are you getting "ROYALTIES"? for posting this statement.

My daughter bought some items from USA, as with other posting on here she was charged Excise Duty and Delivery. :mad:

She contacted vendor and was told that there handling and shipping charge was correct if the parcel was delivered to an address within the USA, :eek: as it was shipped outside the USA the handling charge was only covered to port of entry hence additional handling charge from UK port of entry to addressee, any additional excise duty is up to whichever country it was sent to. :!:

My daughter paid the additional costs and chalked it up as experience.

:rolleyes: When she looked at ordering further items from the same vendor, she worked out roughly UK exccise duty plus UK postage (based on prior charge) added to vendors price deemed it not value for money and did not place the order. :smile:

Vendors loss. :D

dk

Well, well, well. I can understand how peed off you are having to pay the fee. I don't like it either. I think you would be very surprised to read comments from HMC&E I was sent.

My original complaint on this site was not so much that I resented the fee, as the seemingly impossible way to access my parcel. Perhaps I did not make it clear. I explained the the Manager of the sorting office (and God alone knows how he got to be in charge), that I was not expecting a package that required postage to be paid on it, and could he tell me what it was, where it came from, and from whom. He refused. I had a card which told me that there was postage to pay of £12.28, of which £1 was the post office fee to collect it. I told him that I cannot think of anyone who had sent me a parcel without paying the postage, and at that time, in March I had not made large purchases on EBAY in the USA without paying the shipping thorugh Paypal.

THEY HAD TICKED THE WRONG BOX AND REFUSED TO TELL ME ON THE PHONE WHAT THE AMOUNT WAS FOR.

I think the card they put through the letterbox is as good as an invoice, and I am not used to paying invoices unless I know what it is for, AND THEY REFUSED TO TELL ME. Not only that, but he was ABUSIVE ON THE TELEPHONE. No-one should go through that, and have the phone hung up on!!

Now that man must have had the package in his hand as he spoke. He said he was not releasing any information until I paid the sum requested. He could easily have told me that it was duty, but he refused. He shouted at me in a most furious manner, disrespectful and foul mouthed. I did not like it.

I explained that I could not pay the amount, not because I had no money, but physically I could not go out, and I told him that under the spirit of the Disability Discrimination Act he was obliged to enable me, as a registered disabled person, to pay the fee. The law says that companies should go out of their way to enable disabled people to access a sevice or building. If I wasa to go to the post office here, I would have to sit outside in my chair and wait for someone to spot me and come to my aid.

I am told that Royal Mail is exempt from the DDA, yet here they are saying they are not subsidised and have to make a profit. Which is it? They cannot have both, or can they?

He refused to allow me to pay the postman, or to give my card over the telephone. I explained that I was having difficulty accessing their site to pay online. He was rude and beligerent. I have noticed since March that they have changed the method of paying online. At the time I could not access it I was getting 'page not found'.

He just got angrier. I do not consider myself an idiot. He told me to pay a carer to go and pay the money, then they would deliver it, but they were not prepared to say when.

There is another problem I have and I have a note on my door asking if people would use their mobile phone to contact me when at the door. It works for most, but not Couriers or postmen. Apparently they are not allowed to ring me at the door. They would rather miss me and return another day!!!

Following his unbelievable rudeness(and bear in mind I was paying for the shipping) I complained to the customer service. There then followed a long dialogue with those who are supposed to put the clients at their ease. I wonder how these people get on if their flights are cancelled or they are not given information about their holidays. Would they, for example, tolerate an airline refusing to tell them when a flight is due to arrive or depart, or other significant information?

Nor would they, I suspect take kindly to the orange airline closing the departure gate if they are just a minute late!!!

In one of these emails, I was told that I SHOULD HAVE KNOWN IT WAS DUTY PAYABLE AND NOT LACK OF POSTAGE BY THE AMOUNT REQUESTED.

Well I told them that I had not ordered anything costing anywhere near the value of £18. I was right. The seller had included the shipping costs.

As a result of my trying to get something done or at least better treatment of disabled people, I was further inconvennienced by the fact that one of these cusomer relations chappies told me that they had sent the parcel back to the sender in US, even though I had already paid for it by having a friend take the cheque to the post office,and only a few days had passed.

I saw red again then, because I had ordered another yard of fabric for my patchwork quilt from somewhere else, having already received the parcel I had tried to pay for.

I emailed them and said they were returnning a parcel I had not even been notified of, out of sheer spite because I had complained. I went online and looked up the tracking number of the package, and emailed the customer service people with that number, and said I will make trouble if I do not get my parcel, which was not even close to being duty payable. (when you are following a pattern it is better to have the correct fabric). Within a couple of hours the same day my parcel, in a plastic bag, was deposited without notice at the top of my wheelchair ramp!!

They had no right to return a parcel addressed properly to me without advising me it was there, even if duty had been payable, which it was not in this case, or underpaid. It was addressed correctly as well. They are supposed to allow three weeks to pass before they send anything back to sender, and I am sure that if the person had not given me a tracking number I would never have received that parcel at all, and just out of spite because I complained.

I hope it was not someone on this site, I really do, but if it was then we must be vigilant.

I am sorry to go on like this, but my misery was not really about having to pay the fee, but the rudeness and disrespect paid to me on the telephone. I thought it was an offence to treat anyone like that, yet alone a disabled person. I was intimidated and humiliated. I would never get myself into that situation again. All I am is a disabled pensioner, not in business, but using my time making patchwork and other crafts. My husband died last year and keeping busy is my way of trying to accustom myself to it.