• Tweets

• Yes that looks fine. It is to the point. I think somewhere in the that the you might want to point out that your parcel had been delivered but clearly had been opened and resealed and the contents had been stolen
    • Hi All, I just got in from work and received a letter dated 24 April 2024. "We've sent you a Single Justice Procedure notice because you have been charged with an offence, on the Transport for London Network." "You need to tell us whether you are guilty or not guilty. This is called making your plea."
    • Okay please go through the disclosure very carefully. I suggest that you use the technique broadly in line with the advice we give on preparing your court bundle. You want to know what is there – but also very importantly you want to know what is not there. For instance, the email that they said they sent you before responding to the SAR – did you see that? Is there any trace of of the phone call that you made to the woman who didn't know anything about SAR's? On what basis was the £50 sent to you? Was it unilateral or did they offer it and you accepted it on some condition? When did they send you this £50 cheque? Have you banked it? Also, I think that we need to start understanding what you have lost here. Have you lost any money – and if so how much? Send the SAR to your bank as advised above
    • In anticipation of lodging my court claim next Weds 1 May (14 days after advising P2G that was my deadline for them to settle my claim) I have completed my first draft POC as below: Claim Claim number: xxxxx Reference: P2G MAY 2024   Claimant xxxxx   Defendant Parcel2Go 1A Parklands Lostock Bolton BL6 4SD  Particulars of Claim The defendant has failed to arrange for the safe delivery of the claimant's parcel containing a 8 secondhand golf clubs (valued at £265) that was sent to a UK address using their delivery service (P2G Reference xxxxx). The defendant contracted Evri to deliver the parcel (Evri Reference xxxxx) and refuses to reimburse the claimant on the grounds that the claimant did not purchase their secondary insurance contract. The defendant seeks to exclude their liability in breach of section 57 Consumer Rights Act. The secondary insurance contract is in breach of section 72. The claimant seeks reimbursement of £265, plus P2G fees of £9.10, plus postage costs for two first class letters to P2G of £2.70, plus court fees, plus interest. The claimant claims interest under section 69 of the County Courts Act 1984 at the rate of 8% a year from xxxxx to xxxxxx on £276.80 and also interest at the same rate up to the date of judgment or earlier payment at a daily rate of £xxxx   Details of claim Amount claimed £276.80 I look forward to your thoughts and comments guys! As ever, many thanks - G59    
    • Hmm, that's strange how they got my email then.  I assume the below is ok to send to DCBL, Nicky?  Hello, I am writing regarding our ongoing dispute and the upcoming court claim reference xxxxxxxx. To ensure fairness and transparency in our communications leading up to the court hearing, I request that you use postal mail exclusively for all further correspondence related to this claim. Please refrain from sending any communication or documents via email. Thank you for your understanding and cooperation. If you have any questions or need clarification, please feel free to contact me via postal mail at the address provided above. Yours sincerely, xxxx
  • Recommended Topics

• Our picks

• If you are buying a used car – you need to read this survival guide.
      • 1 reply
    • Hello,

On 15/1/24 booked appointment with Big Motoring World (BMW) to view a mini on 17/1/24 at 8pm at their Enfield dealership.  

Car was dirty and test drive was two circuits of roundabout on entry to the showroom.  Was p/x my car and rushed by sales exec and a manager into buying the mini and a 3yr warranty that night, sale all wrapped up by 10pm.  They strongly advised me taking warranty out on car that age (2017) and confirmed it was honoured at over 500 UK registered garages.

The next day, 18/1/24 noticed amber engine warning light on dashboard , immediately phoned BMW aftercare team to ask for it to be investigated asap at nearest garage to me. After 15 mins on hold was told only their 5 service centres across the UK can deal with car issues with earliest date for inspection in March ! Said I’m not happy with that given what sales team advised or driving car. Told an amber warning light only advisory so to drive with caution and call back when light goes red.

I’m not happy to do this, drive the car or with the after care experience (a sign of further stresses to come) so want a refund and to return the car asap.

Please can you advise what I need to do today to get this done. 

Many thanks 
        • Thanks
      • 81 replies
    • Housing Association property flooding. https://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/topic/438641-housing-association-property-flooding/&do=findComment&comment=5124299
      • 161 replies
    • We have finally managed to obtain the transcript of this case.

The judge's reasoning is very useful and will certainly be helpful in any other cases relating to third-party rights where the customer has contracted with the courier company by using a broker.
      This is generally speaking the problem with using PackLink who are domiciled in Spain and very conveniently out of reach of the British justice system.

Frankly I don't think that is any accident.

One of the points that the judge made was that the customers contract with the broker specifically refers to the courier – and it is clear that the courier knows that they are acting for a third party. There is no need to name the third party. They just have to be recognisably part of a class of person – such as a sender or a recipient of the parcel.

Please note that a recent case against UPS failed on exactly the same issue with the judge held that the Contracts (Rights of Third Parties) Act 1999 did not apply.

We will be getting that transcript very soon. We will look at it and we will understand how the judge made such catastrophic mistakes. It was a very poor judgement.
      We will be recommending that people do include this adverse judgement in their bundle so that when they go to county court the judge will see both sides and see the arguments against this adverse judgement.
      Also, we will be to demonstrate to the judge that we are fair-minded and that we don't mind bringing everything to the attention of the judge even if it is against our own interests.
      This is good ethical practice.

It would be very nice if the parcel delivery companies – including EVRi – practised this kind of thing as well.

OT APPROVED, 365MC637, FAROOQ, EVRi, 12.07.23 (BRENT) - J v4.pdf

Consumer Action Group Strategy

clumch
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 5725 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

You have achieved so much with the bank charges issue.

You need to keep the momentum going!

People get bored if things are slow ...

Now people have a taste for "reclaiming the right" you need to pick a new SINGLE issue and focus on it.

The issue needs to be:

- easy for people to get involved and effect change

- easy for people to understand

- easy for people to agree with

Here is one with universal appeal:

- Council Tax

The only power the citizens of the UK have over the government is TAX.

PAYE is designed to remove our power to choose.

But Council Tax is "unprotected".

For most of the population Council Tax is collected through our old friend "Direct Debit"

We need to organise a single month in which a large number of people cancels their direct debits and simply stops paying council tax.

For people who are frightened of retaliation from the council they can simply pay as late as they dare.

But the system that forces us to pay Council Tax has a very limited capacity - the civil courts - Councils have to pay CASH up front to the courts in order to secure a court date to get a CCJ.

Once a large enough volume of people are in arrears the whole system crashes.

That is what happened with Council Tax #1 "Poll Tax".

What can we achieve?

- panic in the government

- give citizens a sense of power and excitement

- give citizens hope they can reclaim their rights

What can we lose?

- the government will adapt and paying council tax will get harder to avoid

So we need to attach something to the action

- Citizens will start paying Council Tax again once PAYE has become optional and ANY employees can choose Self Assessment

Luckily for us the government has already built a tax infrastructure that supports large numbers of Self Assessment - so it is a perfectly reasonable request.

Once PAYE is optional - pick another SINGLE issue with wide support and use mass witholding of TAX payments as a lever to get more rights.

For instance the Credit History system ...

All we want is a country that is fair and pleasant to live in.

And thanks to the Internet we can have it by simply clicking "Cancel Direct Debit" ...

Why on Earth would you want to get rid of PAYE? :-?

It is one of the most useful things ever, and I can assure you that most of the people I speak to in France who have no such thing and instead have to fill in form after form each year, then get charged a "provisional 3rd", then the next year, get charged for the previous tax year, wish they had a system as efficient and fair as PAYE.

My sister is currently working her backside off to clear her debts. As a result, next year, she'll get hit with a big tax bill. So even if she wants to then ease off, she'll have to keep on working more to clear the tax bill, etc, etc...

Most people, especially those on low income and with problems budgetting, know that when they get their wages, that is it, what's left is theirs.

I don't know about others, but there is NO WAY I would ever get involved in a campaign to get rid of PAYE. ;-)

As for Council Tax and DD, people have chosen to pay it that way, so I doubt that they'll want to change it, although I quite agree with the evil that is DD and always pay by S/O myself.

But the system that forces us to pay Council Tax has a very limited capacity - the civil courts

Er, no.

Enforcement of Council Tax is currently via the Magistrates' courts. Non-Payment of the tax is a CRIMINAL offence. The council have the MOST amount of enforcement measures going out of any debt type there is. I really wouldn't advocate doing this at all.

• Haha 1

Please read my post carefully.

I am not advocating "getting rid of PAYE" just making it optional.

I am not advocating "getting rid of Council Tax" just using temporary non-payment as a way of uniting citizens into common action to effect changes in PAYE.

As for point regarding magistrates court - that may be true - but they have limited capacity just the same.

Oh yeah, cos the Tories who introduced it the first place would surely get rid of it? :rolleyes:

Yep but at least it wont increase by above inflation rises everyyear for less and less services, of course we can also all pay extra to get our bins emptied in pay and throw:p and blame it on climate change

As for point regarding magistrates court - that may be true - but they have limited capacity just the same.

There is no 'may' about it. Council Tax enforcement is pretty savage. Some councils are VERY quick to go for enforcment, you must remember that the Local Authorities give us the option of paying the tax in instalments, it's not an automatic right - they could remove this. I wouldn't advocate people messing about with their payments unless they are fully aware of possible consequences, such as having a Liability Order against them + the possible enforcement measues such as Bailiffs, Attachement of Earnings, Bankruptcy and possibly even Imprisonment.

For sure my post is a little OTT but I do feel that if anyone wishes not to pay via d/d then they should pay the full bill when it is due, in April of each year.

For sure my post is a little OTT but I do feel that if anyone wishes not to pay via d/d then they should pay the full bill when it is due, in April of each year.

Agree there, the installment option is often the only way people can pay this large bill, take that away and most people would end up in court for none payment:eek:

That ended when we started to let the elf and safety brigade tell us what do, along with all the other Rights Brigades :mad: that now infest our everyday life.

There is no 'may' about it. Council Tax enforcement is pretty savage. Some councils are VERY quick to go for enforcment, you must remember that the Local Authorities give us the option of paying the tax in instalments, it's not an automatic right - they could remove this. I wouldn't advocate people messing about with their payments unless they are fully aware of possible consequences, such as having a Liability Order against them + the possible enforcement measues such as Bailiffs, Attachement of Earnings, Bankruptcy and possibly even Imprisonment.

But only if they pick on a small number of individuals.

The system can not handle large numbers of simultaneous non-payers.

It simply collapses - a council would bankrupt itself if it tried to take everybody to court - the court does not have the capacity anyway.

The credit history system is the same - if everybody had a CCJ and everybody was defaulted by their bank - the whole system collapses.

These systems only work because they pick on individuals - classic divide and conquer.

Group action renders them instantly powerless.

5 million people cancelling their direct debits and paying as late as is legally possible would send a powerful message "we have had enough - change now"

We need to take advantage of the weakness in the system now before it no longer exists.

Controlling government access to money is the only peaceful way we can improve this country.

I do feel that if anyone wishes not to pay via d/d then they should pay the full bill when it is due, in April of each year.
Most councils have the ability to pay by BACS nowadays, so there's nothing to stop them changing to S/O instead, still paying by instalments, but being in control in case of issues. ;-) A lot of people can't afford to pay over £1000 in one go... :-(

it would be incredibly foolish not to pay council tax as a political statement, unless you are willing to go to jail.

i will be off site for the next month or so. if you have any problems, feel free to report the post so a moderator can help you.

I am not a qualified or practicing lawyer.

Er, no.

Enforcement of Council Tax is currently via the Magistrates' courts. Non-Payment of the tax is a CRIMINAL offence. The council have the MOST amount of enforcement measures going out of any debt type there is. I really wouldn't advocate doing this at all.

Not quite true on two points.

Non payment of council tax is not a criminal offence.

I didn't pay mine last month-I have committed no crime but just simply paid it late which my council accepted.

Should I simply refuse to pay, then be tried and convicted and sent to prison, only then is it a criminal offence.

And HMRC have more power of enforcement for a debt than a council-they, if they had reason to, could raid your house and rip up your floor boards and tear down your walls in less than an hour of deciding to.

A council couldn't.

Edited by Weird Al Yankovic

it would be incredibly foolish not to pay council tax as a political statement, unless you are willing to go to jail.

I disagree.

History shows that individuals/groups are initially seen as foolish in their acts of political defiance but are then subsequently proven to be visionaries. And risk more than jail.

Suffragettes?

This evil & unfair tax should be replaced, just as New Labour promised to do in their 1994/95/96/97 manifestos.:rolleyes:

I disagree.

History shows that individuals/groups are initially seen as foolish in their acts of political defiance but are then subsequently proven to be visionaries. And risk more than jail.

Suffragettes?

This evil & unfair tax should be replaced, just as New Labour promised to do in their 1994/95/96/97 manifestos.:rolleyes:

The Poll Tax? What a carry on that was.

I am hoping the SNP actually follow through and scrap Council Tax in Scotland as they keep saying. I think it would be a much fairer system, not to mention not having that big bill to pay (monthly or yearly). If it gets paid automatically along with your other taxes the debt situation is much harder to fall into.

If anything it would be an interesting experiment, we have to try something :(

Can I suggest a proper regulator for the CRA's?

Dipply75

I am in no way a legal advisor and only speak from my own experiences and the helpful advice of those in the same boat! :p

Non payment of council tax is not a criminal offence.

Enforcement is via The Magistrates' Court, it could be an offence if the non-payment is proven to be culpable neglect / wilfull refusal. People have gone to prison for non-payment and I'm sure they will continue to do so.

And HMRC have more power of enforcement for a debt than a council-they, if they had reason to, could raid your house and rip up your floor boards and tear down your walls in less than an hour of deciding to.

A council couldn't.

They would need a warrant of entry first, any idea how this can be done within an hour? When was this power last exercised? This is quite interesting as I've not had a great deal of training on business related debts, more help would be great!

I'm not sure I understand the nature of this 'strategy.' CAG is about reclaiming the right, and remedying wrongs, not civil action on an act of Parliament. Sure, there are 101 things wrong with the implementation of Council Tax, but in principle no-one could disagree that it is a viable element of local government. In principle there is no wrong to be righted.

I think a better strategy/campaign would be the way utilities are managed: I read this morning that due to 'estimated' readings, and considering that regular DD payments were agreed a couple of years ago, we have a debt timebomb with regard to 'monies due' in the future. This is compounded by the expected 40% increase in bills over the coming months.

I fail to understand the principle of a utility company 'billing' a customer for an indeterminate service usage. You buy a gallon of fuel, you pay for a gallon of fuel. You buy a pound (provoke provoke) of bananas, you pay for a pound of bananas.

I believe utility companies, including telecoms, should be held accountable to their billing methods. If they don't bill you correctly then they should not be allowed to recover the shortfall after a set time limit. After all, the meters are theirs, they should frikking well take the trouble to read them. Besides, it makes good business sense to have an accurate overview of future cash flows...

Edited by Spiceskull

Alecto, Magaera et Tisiphone: Nemesis on Earth is come.

All advice and opinions given by Spiceskull are personal, and are not endorsed by Consumer Action Group or Bank Action Group. Your decisions and actions are your own, and should you be in any doubt, you are advised to seek the opinion of a qualified professional.

It doesn't always require a warrant, Dave, if they have grounds to arrest you. My authority is the Police and Criminal Evidence Act 1984 (Application to Revenue and Customs) Order 2007 s8. Since almost all HMRC offences were made arrestable offences by the Finance Act 2007, or fall within the bounds of s24 of PACE, or fall within s1 of Schedule 1A PACE, almost all offences can be subject to search without a warrant.

Edited by tomterm8

i will be off site for the next month or so. if you have any problems, feel free to report the post so a moderator can help you.

I am not a qualified or practicing lawyer.

It doesn't always require a warrant, Dave, if they have grounds to arrest you. My authority is the Police and Criminal Evidence Act 1984 (Application to Revenue and Customs) Order 2007 s5. Since almost all HMRC offences were made arrestable offences by the Finance Act 2007, or fall within the bounds of s24 of PACE, or fall within s1 of Schedule 1A PACE, almost all offences can be subject to search without a warrant.

Interesting stuff mate, I have some reading to do (I was trained in this in 2006). Cheers sir.

The strategy is to increase citizens rights by direct action without anybody getting hurt - by hitting the government in the one place it cares about - its wallet. PAYE may be a convenience for citizens but it exists to remove our our only real power.

HMRC took over £515,000,000,000 last year - about 75% directly from citizens. The government will do anything to keep that revenue stream.

Currently they use the threat of violence from the police to get the money.

My point is - the civil and criminal justice system has a *very* small capacity - almost any organised non-payment will break the system.

The question is: which tax can the majority of the population choose not to pay? Council Tax

We use non-payment of Council Tax to force the government to make PAYE optional.

Then we use (the threat) of mass non-payment of Income Tax to force improvements in citizens rights.

We have the power to effect change by using online banking and clicking "Cancel Direct Debit" When it history has it ever been so easy and painless? Am I making sense?

Oh yeah, cos the Tories who introduced it the first place would surely get rid of it? :rolleyes:

They would actually.

They recycle people as well as ideas you know.

"The only thing that interferes with my learning is my education." Albert Einstein

"No-one can make you feel inferior without your consent" - E. Roosevelt

Don't lie, thieve, cheat or steal. The Government do not like the competition.

All advice is offered without prejudice.

We are being sued for Libel. Please help us by donating

Please support the pettition to remove Gordon Brown as he was not elected primeinister. He was elected Party Leader something completely different.

http://petitions.pm.gov.uk/gordan-brown/

My point is - the civil and criminal justice system has a *very* small capacity - almost any organised non-payment will break the system.

The question is: which tax can the majority of the population choose not to pay? Council Tax

We use non-payment of Council Tax to force the government to make PAYE optional.

Then we use (the threat) of mass non-payment of Income Tax to force improvements in citizens rights.

We have the power to effect change by using online banking and clicking "Cancel Direct Debit" When it history has it ever been so easy and painless? Am I making sense?

It don't work like that, and if every citizen in the country stopped paying their ct, it would have no effect at all on the justice system.

The CT system is administered by a computer printout of all ct payers who are in arrears, the operator just presses a button to say print out all those in arrears, this produces a spreadsheet with them all named. That very long sheet is then submitted to the court as is and the judge stamps the bottom, he doesn't even look at the names on the list.

Each person is not individually taken to court, so if that spreadsheet has one name on or 50 million names on, it makes no difference, it takes the same amount of effort and time.

The only one who would benefit from this would be Royal Mail with all those extra letters to deliver.

Each person is not individually taken to court, so if that spreadsheet has one name on or 50 million names on, it makes no difference, it takes the same amount of effort and time.

That is an interesting point - but sending 50 million letters does not get the money paid - everybody ignores the letters.

Then what do they do?

You can not send bailiffs to every house - that is tantamount to civil war.

Plus somebody still has to pay cash up front for 50 million court dates - which they can not afford!

If more than a small % of the population have CCJs the credit history system collapses.