Being chased by 1st credit and do statue barred laws also apply in Northern Ireland?

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 5737 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hi! *waves*

Been reading this site for most of today, amazed at the huge amount of information here (which will come in very useful, thanks to all the posters :) ) and decided to register and post a question!

I am being chased by first credit (ohhh joy) for an old CC debt with RBOS. Now I'm sure the last payment I made on this CC was back in early 2001. I was sent a default notice a few months later (I think!). As I understand it from reading the various statue barred threads on here, the debt has become statue barred now as we are well past the 6 year time limit and during those years I never once replied to RBOS Credit Card division or the various DCA's its been bounced around - westcott, scotcall, 1st credit etc... It's been with 1st credit since 2004 (as I got a letter from RBOS stating they had sold it to them in 2004, although it may just have been 1st credit claiming that and unfortunately I dont have the letter anymore) - they wrote a few times during 2004 and then were quiet until a week ago when something woke them up (perhaps it was that credit card I applied for a while back, who knows).

Anyway, so it looks to be that the threat-o-grams have started again. I could ignore it - from previous experience they should write a few letters and then give up until something wakes them up again in the future, but to be honest I'd rather get rid of them. I was thinking of firing them off the standard Statue Barred letter from these forums, but as I'm resident in Northern Ireland and some of our laws are different to the mainland (I know for criminal law this is true, but as regards consumer law I haven't got a clue - not had any experience with consumer law), I was wondering if anyone else here knows if a N.Ireland resident can use the statue barred letter to get a DCA to clear off.

Thanks!

Edited by darkpants

Hi there, I really don't know the answer but I do like the thought of DCA's chasing you a la Benny Hill style.

Beating the DCA's day by day

My fight:

NDR - CCA'd 12+2 passed

Bank of Scotland - CCA'd 12+2 passed

CFS - Win by Technical Knock-out!:lol:

HFC Bank - CCA'd 12+2 passed

Chantry Collections - CCA sent

Time flies like an arrow

Fruit flies like a banana :D

<---------- Have I given you top advice, have I made you laugh, click on the scales, it won't hurt you! :grin:

Hehe, they are indeed. What annoys me the most they think they can get away with chasing an old debt, its so old its even dropped off my credit file now (requested my credit file from all 3 agencies - callcredit, experian and equifax as I was trying to get specific dates for the default and last payment). However after reading this site I think I will let them do all the work for me and prove it ;)

the Limitation Act 1980 as far as i know operates in England , Wales and Northern Ireland

Actually its the Limitation (Northern Ireland) Order 1989. However if you quote the English legislation it will do fine. The time limits are the same

• Haha 1

Ohhh, thanks for that, just found it after a google search, the revelant sections of The Limitation (Northern Ireland) Order 1989 is section 4.

Time limit: actions founded on contract, etc.

4. Subject to Articles 5, 7 and 9, the following actions may not be brought after the expiration of six years from the date on which the cause of action accrued—

• (a) an action founded on simple contract;
  • (b) an action founded on quasi-contract;
  • © an action to enforce an award where the arbitration agreement is not under seal;
  • (d) an action to recover any sum recoverable by virtue of any statutory provision, other than—

• (iii) an amount recoverable under section 1 of the Civil Liability (Contribution) Act 1978[14].

The Limitation (Northern Ireland) Order 1989 - gosh I've learnt more in one day than I have since my uni days :). And I have quite a few bits of legislation to throw at the 1st Crappit monkeys too. With a bit of luck this little lot should confuse them :) Although I will stick to english legislation for now, don't want to confuse the poor dears too much (well, not yet anyway ;) )

One last thing, should I also write on top of the statue barred letter to 1st crappit "I do not acknowledge any debt from your company or any parties you claim to represent" ? I already know not to sign the letter also - just print my name.

Edited by darkpants
adding a question

One last thing, should I also write on top of the statue barred letter to 1st crappit "I do not acknowledge any debt from your company or any parties you claim to represent" ?.
Yes always when writing to a DCA

Well they got the letter on Tuesday according to royal mail tracking and so far its all quiet :). I'm kinda dissapointed cos I was sort of looking forward to a fight, but if it stays all quiet then I will be happy :).

LCS are in breach of OFT guidlines and the CPUTR 2008 by contacting you in relation to an alleged account which is clearly in dispute due to it being statute barred.

Use this thread that BankFodder has kindly put together to make a complaint to the relevant authorities:

http://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/forum/faqs-please-read-these/146460-consumer-protection-unfair-trading.html

Coo, thanks :) That is a very useful thread, looks like a complaint to the OFT is needed then...

Whats the best way to get in contact with them? Write to the OFT's address in London?

(Sorry for what probably seems thicko questions, but the OFT seems to sort of want no-one to contact them or at least I get that impression from their site).

Edited by darkpants

Complaint letter on its way to trading standards (also mentioned in the letter that I request the OFT to be informed of my complaint) :).

And 1st crappit still have not acknowledged my statue barred letter.