• Tweets

• Recommended Topics

• Our picks

• If you are buying a used car – you need to read this survival guide.
      • 1 reply
    • Hello,

On 15/1/24 booked appointment with Big Motoring World (BMW) to view a mini on 17/1/24 at 8pm at their Enfield dealership.  

Car was dirty and test drive was two circuits of roundabout on entry to the showroom.  Was p/x my car and rushed by sales exec and a manager into buying the mini and a 3yr warranty that night, sale all wrapped up by 10pm.  They strongly advised me taking warranty out on car that age (2017) and confirmed it was honoured at over 500 UK registered garages.

The next day, 18/1/24 noticed amber engine warning light on dashboard , immediately phoned BMW aftercare team to ask for it to be investigated asap at nearest garage to me. After 15 mins on hold was told only their 5 service centres across the UK can deal with car issues with earliest date for inspection in March ! Said I’m not happy with that given what sales team advised or driving car. Told an amber warning light only advisory so to drive with caution and call back when light goes red.

I’m not happy to do this, drive the car or with the after care experience (a sign of further stresses to come) so want a refund and to return the car asap.

Please can you advise what I need to do today to get this done. 

Many thanks 
      • 81 replies
    • Housing Association property flooding. https://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/topic/438641-housing-association-property-flooding/&do=findComment&comment=5124299
      • 161 replies
    • We have finally managed to obtain the transcript of this case.

The judge's reasoning is very useful and will certainly be helpful in any other cases relating to third-party rights where the customer has contracted with the courier company by using a broker.
      This is generally speaking the problem with using PackLink who are domiciled in Spain and very conveniently out of reach of the British justice system.

Frankly I don't think that is any accident.

One of the points that the judge made was that the customers contract with the broker specifically refers to the courier – and it is clear that the courier knows that they are acting for a third party. There is no need to name the third party. They just have to be recognisably part of a class of person – such as a sender or a recipient of the parcel.

Please note that a recent case against UPS failed on exactly the same issue with the judge held that the Contracts (Rights of Third Parties) Act 1999 did not apply.

We will be getting that transcript very soon. We will look at it and we will understand how the judge made such catastrophic mistakes. It was a very poor judgement.
      We will be recommending that people do include this adverse judgement in their bundle so that when they go to county court the judge will see both sides and see the arguments against this adverse judgement.
      Also, we will be to demonstrate to the judge that we are fair-minded and that we don't mind bringing everything to the attention of the judge even if it is against our own interests.
      This is good ethical practice.

It would be very nice if the parcel delivery companies – including EVRi – practised this kind of thing as well.

OT APPROVED, 365MC637, FAROOQ, EVRi, 12.07.23 (BRENT) - J v4.pdf
  • Recommended Topics

Bad case of bank charges - please help

baynham
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 5760 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hi, it’s my first post here so I guess I should start by saying a little about myself.

I’ve just finished my degree in Computer Science at Glamorgan University and have had a full time job for 2 weeks I’m posting because I really need some advice.

I’m having a lot of trouble with bank charges from Lloyds TSB, I wrote many letters to the bank about 6 months ago but it didn’t get anywhere – they wrote back and said they would wait for the test case. Approximately 3 months ago I wrote explaining my dire financial situation and said that I was in hardship – I received nothing.

I checked my balance online today and I have been charged £215 again this month, this makes it twice in a row. I have an agreed overdraft of £1500 and I have been bordering on this limit for a long time now. In total I have been charged £4000. With the new daily charges Lloyds have introduced I can’t seem to get myself out of this mess. Because of the previous charge I am now £110 over my agreed limit and am now paying £25 a day (to a total of £215 a month). It is driving me crazy and making me very stressed.

I also have a NatWest account which is £1600 OD and a £900 credit card (which I am slowly lowering monthly) but I do not occur any charges on these, just around £20 a month interest – which at the moment is the least of my worries. My credit rating is too bad to get a parachute account to borrow enough to pay Lloyds.

I phoned Lloyds today and the young women I spoke to said it was the worst case of bank charges she has seen but she didn't help. Which made me feel much better! I’ve been borrowing money from friends and family for petrol money to be able to get to work and have been missing lunch most days. It’s amazing how Lloyds can get away with charging me £25 a day.

If anyone has any advice I would be most grateful.

Thanks in advance.

-Mike

Edited by baynham

Hi Mike

Welcome to CAG. Suggest a browse of the FAQs & I'll pm a Mod to request this be moved to Lloyds forum. I'm sure you'll get lots of help and advice, everybody here is very supportive.

http://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/forum/faqs-please-read-these/

Edited by Dispirited
Edited to add link
  • Haha 1

Hi Baynham,

Welcome to the Consumer Action Group :)

There are a lot of people on this site who have been in the same place you are now.

You will find this a very friendly place to help you reclaim your charges :-)

LloydsTSB has it's own sub-forum on this site which you can find here :-

http://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/forum/lloyds-bank/

The first thing you need is a list of all your charges, if you have all your statments, thats fine. If not you need to get these from Lloyds. There is a letter you can send here :-

http://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/forum/bank-templates-library/516-1-data-protection-act.html

Although the banks have a ongoing test case with OFT there are a number of reasons why you should start your claim now.

Any older charges (coming up to 6 years) could be lost if you wait for the OFT case to end. Start your claim now and those charges are protected.

When the stays are finally lifted, you will be one of the first in the queue to get paid.

While the banks are protected by the stays, we the consumer, have no such protection and charges continue to mount up.

For some people this may mean going into default. If it is clear that the default was made in respect of charges and that it was lodged after a charges claim was begun then these users have a really excellent chance of having it removed.

I have some links below for you to look at, have a good read, it will help you though out your claim.

Hope this helps get you started. Come back and shout in the Lloyds forum if you need any help

Lex

Please help us to help you. Download the CAG tool bar for free

HERE and use the search option for all your searches. CAG earns a few pennies every time !!!

Please don't rush, take time to read these:-

&

This is always worth referring to

Advice & opinions given by me are personal, are not endorsed by the Consumer Action Group or the Bank Action Group. Should you be in any doubt, you are advised to seek the opinion of a qualified professional.

Thread moved for more help. Thanks D. . . . .

Mike, have you spoken to Lloyds customer service about that account?

Is it one of the higher bank accounts?

Are you having your wages / grant paid into that account, if so you should move it where they can not grab it every month.

WARNING TO ALL

Please be aware of acting on advice given by PM .Anyone can make mistakes and if advice is given on the main forum people can see it to correct it ,if given privately then no one can see it to correct it. Please also be aware of giving your personal details to strangers

I phoned Lloyds today and the young women I spoke to said it was the worst case of bank charges she has seen but she didn't help.

a) She clearly hasn't been on the job for too long as there have been far worse (not that it will be any comfort to you at this time)

b) How 'very understanding of her

c) Get your claim going now regardless of what LTSB say - 'Reclaim the Right' - that is what its all about isn't it?

Good luck - you are in safe hands here

Thank you to all that responded!

The account is a student account.

I have contacted customer services many times and when I am lucky then reduce a charge by 20-30 pounds although this has now stopped as they said I have had too many charges this year.

I am in the processes of calculating my total charges something that online banking makes much easier.

I was wondering if It would be advisable to take out a loan to pay all my immediate debt, this would have to be in the region of £5000. This would allow me to close both accounts and open an account in a less hostile bank (or am I being naive as they are all money grabbing bastards). If the loan idea is sound then who would give me credit with such a poor rating and with the current state of lending. Could someone recommend a lender?

Once again thank you.

-Mike

Hi, Mike,

I would not recommend taking out a loan to pay off your present debts as this could lead to worse problems in the future!!!

I have much, much worse debts than you but managed to get a basic step account with Nat West no problem - I know this won't help as you want to get away from Nat West, the point is there are basic accounts out there that can be opened despite financial problems. Hopefully others can advise where they opened alternative accounts.

While you're arranging a new bank account, I'd put in a court claim for charges and interest as soon as possible.

Also, arrange an appointment with someone at your local branch to voice your concerns over the charges - they may sort out a temp extension to your overdraft or some small 'token' refund of charges - (show them your list of charges as evidence that they have acted unfairly) - this may give you some breathing space in order to stop any more charges for now.

BAE :-)