• Tweets

• It you had E7 in the past but have converted to single rate then the meter will still hold the last recorded Night readings. This introduces scope for error when manually reading. If the meter has only ever been used on single rate then there's only one figure that can be taken. For example ours shows "Rate 1" reading and a "Total import" reading, but they both give the sme figure. If it has ever been on E7 the total will be higher, including the retained night reading.
    • okay, perfect and thank you so much for the help once again. so firstly i am going to initiate the breathing space, during this time it's likely ill receive a default. when i receive the default are you aware of how long it will take for me to know whether the OC have sold it off to DCAs? Once it's with the DCAs i do not need to worry as they cannot issue a CCJ only the OCs can Even if i decide to come an arrangement with the DCAs no point as the default will remain for 6 years paid or not paid I should only consider repayment if the OC still won the debt and then issue a CCJ? Just to confirm the default will not be seen after 6 years? No one can tell I had one then after 6 years ill be all good?
    • I'm not sure we were on standard tariffs - I've uploaded as many proofs as I can for the ombudsman - ovo called last night uping the compensation to 100 from 50 pounds for the slip in customer service however they won't acknowledge the the problem them not acknowledging a fault has caused nor are they willing to remedy anything as they won't accept the meter or formula was wrong.   I'd appreciate more details on the economy 7 approach and I'll update the ombudsman with any information you can share. 
    • To re-iterate and highlight my urgent question on this one: The N24 from the court did not include any instructions to submit paperwork 28 days before the date, unlike the N157 received for other smaller claims. Do I have to submit a WS for this court date? Link has!...
    • No, reading the guidance online it says to wait for a letter from the court. Should I wait or submit the directions? BTW, I assume that the directions are a longer version of the particular of claim accompanied by evidence, correct?
  • Recommended Topics

• Our picks

• If you are buying a used car – you need to read this survival guide.
      • 1 reply
    • Hello,

On 15/1/24 booked appointment with Big Motoring World (BMW) to view a mini on 17/1/24 at 8pm at their Enfield dealership.  

Car was dirty and test drive was two circuits of roundabout on entry to the showroom.  Was p/x my car and rushed by sales exec and a manager into buying the mini and a 3yr warranty that night, sale all wrapped up by 10pm.  They strongly advised me taking warranty out on car that age (2017) and confirmed it was honoured at over 500 UK registered garages.

The next day, 18/1/24 noticed amber engine warning light on dashboard , immediately phoned BMW aftercare team to ask for it to be investigated asap at nearest garage to me. After 15 mins on hold was told only their 5 service centres across the UK can deal with car issues with earliest date for inspection in March ! Said I’m not happy with that given what sales team advised or driving car. Told an amber warning light only advisory so to drive with caution and call back when light goes red.

I’m not happy to do this, drive the car or with the after care experience (a sign of further stresses to come) so want a refund and to return the car asap.

Please can you advise what I need to do today to get this done. 

Many thanks 
      • 81 replies
    • Housing Association property flooding. https://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/topic/438641-housing-association-property-flooding/&do=findComment&comment=5124299
      • 161 replies
    • We have finally managed to obtain the transcript of this case.

The judge's reasoning is very useful and will certainly be helpful in any other cases relating to third-party rights where the customer has contracted with the courier company by using a broker.
      This is generally speaking the problem with using PackLink who are domiciled in Spain and very conveniently out of reach of the British justice system.

Frankly I don't think that is any accident.

One of the points that the judge made was that the customers contract with the broker specifically refers to the courier – and it is clear that the courier knows that they are acting for a third party. There is no need to name the third party. They just have to be recognisably part of a class of person – such as a sender or a recipient of the parcel.

Please note that a recent case against UPS failed on exactly the same issue with the judge held that the Contracts (Rights of Third Parties) Act 1999 did not apply.

We will be getting that transcript very soon. We will look at it and we will understand how the judge made such catastrophic mistakes. It was a very poor judgement.
      We will be recommending that people do include this adverse judgement in their bundle so that when they go to county court the judge will see both sides and see the arguments against this adverse judgement.
      Also, we will be to demonstrate to the judge that we are fair-minded and that we don't mind bringing everything to the attention of the judge even if it is against our own interests.
      This is good ethical practice.

It would be very nice if the parcel delivery companies – including EVRi – practised this kind of thing as well.

OT APPROVED, 365MC637, FAROOQ, EVRi, 12.07.23 (BRENT) - J v4.pdf
  • Recommended Topics

Downloading and possible breach of copyright?

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 5071 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

This is the problem Davenports etc are assuming that the ip's connected to a (possibile unverified) torrent are uploading copyright material, unless they have directly sourced (honey potted) the torrent or downloaded in full the material distributed in torrent they can not assume that the torrent even carries material which is copyrighted. That is a torrent or any item advertised on P2P networks as a game may contain rar'd pictures, saved games, or unrelated material.

It can only be established that the torrent has material which is copyrighted by downloading and are acting as agents for the copyright holder (before downloading the material).

Then they would have to make a connection to all those machine connected and establish if they are sharing the material (not downloading). If you use a torrent app it will show the status of connected peers i.e. how much they have downloaded or sharing. Without a connection there is no proof of DATA TRANSFER BETWEEN PEERS. Being attched to a torrent (host Tracker) or in the swarm is not a crime.

What ever Davenport or any other organisation that takes some one to court has to prove is DATA HAS TRANSFERED from the defendants machine to their machine and that data is an integral part of the material which they claim is copyright. This requires capture of traffic and logging of peer connections - proof that will need to be provided to prove their case.

Fr33d0m is right in that this is what Davenports have been doing via a third pary. It would be easily challenged as it proves nothing, and as far as I know all Davenports cases have either been settled or not defended (by default).

WIFI is NOT secure and can be broken sometimes in minutes at the most can take three to four hours dependant on capture traffic.

Do not rely on any key encryption protocols only, use additional security such as MAC filtering, logging, no DHCP, external authentication source i.e. server/RADIUS/CERTIFICATE will make it much harder to hack.

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Read this.

ISPs Hand Over Details of ‘Several Thousand’ Pirates | TorrentFreak

There is also another story on that site about the lawyers of the company not having any evidence but people arnt turning up in court to actually contest it!

What really annoys me about this is. If I produce a file. Music, Document, Application etc. And put it on a p2p network and start logging all the people who download it. I can make money by sueing them! Or even better get there information and start sending them threataning letters. This cant be right can it?

hi all if you youself produced the music then put it on a p2p site you gave it to the public free if you copy writed it first then put it on the site your self for people to download then that is entrapment .i use newsgroups where the law i think is abit vague as i send avi's to a post where my brother in new zealand downloads them this is not illegal as it belongs to me.

PHOTOBUCKET TUTORIAL IS NOW DONE HERE IT IS

They have jumped on the bandwagon started by the music industry who are trying to make us believe that downloading is the reason they don't sell as many as they used to and not the fault of the crap on the cd. It's just another money making [problem].

This is off-topic, and you probably can see where Im going to go with this due to my username, but downloading is different to the case of the OP.

To take something rather than pay for it and then say the reason is that the content is crap.. oh dear. I know you're not saying you personally do that but the attitude pours from your words.

Theft is theft.

Someone who loses their media and downloads to replace it is a different issue.

I believe conniff meant that CD's contents are mostly talentless factory produces manufactured rubish, so no-one is buying them but the music industry are saying that the reason it's not selling as much is because people have illegally downloaded it.

If in doubt, contact a qualified insured legal professional (or my wife... she knows EVERYTHING)

Or send a cheque or postal order payable to Reclaim the Right Ltd.

to

923 Finchley Road London NW11 7PE

Click here if you fancy an email address that shows you mean business! (only £6 and that will really help CAG)

If you can't donate, please use the Internet Search boxes on the CAG pages - these will generate a small but regular income for the site

Please also consider using the

C.A.G. Toolbar

:wink:

interesting read would like to hear the outcome i was going to post a url to a free widley used program that blocks all these types

but i cant post url's as its my first post look up

peer guardian 2 on your fav search engine and use along with your fav p2p program

now there was a supposed case recently of a women being fined i think (as i cant remember) £16000 in a court for downloading a game the only problem was (it was on news for one day and internet) that this women didnt seem to exsist scare mongering:wink:

semms my posts are being deleted only trying to help could the staff member private message me as to the reason my post is deleted thankyou

Edited by goginng

This is a topic I have had a lot or experiance in. It is a simple matter - downloading any copyrighted material via a peer to peer system is illegal. It makes no difference if you purchased the orriginal disk and then broke it, thats like saying "I bought a car, then I crashed it, and now I am entitled to steal a brand new one". Its your fault if you broke the disk. Trust me on this, I have taken advise from a solicitor about this in regard to protecting software that I own the copyright to.

thats like saying "I bought a car, then I crashed it, and now I am entitled to steal a brand new one"

I must disagree, especially with the analogy.

You do not pay for a CD, you pay for the software that is on it.

Stealing a car you deprive someone of goods, you don't in downloading software.

These companies would have a much harder time taking anything to court for downloading... The claim is based on uploading. Proving that you uploaded any of the copyrighted data is therefor needed. From what I've read, the people that have gathered the data containing a list of people that have downloaded/uploaded the software have provided a lot of flawed information.

If in doubt, contact a qualified insured legal professional (or my wife... she knows EVERYTHING)

Or send a cheque or postal order payable to Reclaim the Right Ltd.

to

923 Finchley Road London NW11 7PE

Click here if you fancy an email address that shows you mean business! (only £6 and that will really help CAG)

If you can't donate, please use the Internet Search boxes on the CAG pages - these will generate a small but regular income for the site

Please also consider using the

C.A.G. Toolbar

Like I said, I got my advise from a solicitor, and that was the exact analogy he gave me. Try phoning a software maunfacturer and telling them you have broken your CD and you want a replacement, they will not give it to you! Have a look on any of the Torrent sites (those which host the peer to peer services) and they will all state that the dowloading or uploading of copyrighted material is illegal.

I threatened a torrent site with legal action and they removed all links to torrents containing my copyrighted software.

I just found this info on a site called "Leo's Answers"....

Downloading copyrighted files without permission is illegal. And it doesn't matter what technology you happen to use to do it: bitTorrent, FTP, web downloads, email or getting a CD in the mail.

Edited by bigcarpman

Then your solicitor is talking rot I'm afraid.

Most software manufacturers will replace MEDIA at a small admin cost. It is the LICENCES that would not be replaced.

7 years in retail customer service

Expertise in letting and rental law for 6 years

By trade - I'm an IT engineer working in the housing sector.

Please note that any posts made by myself are for information only and should not and must not be taken as correct or factual. If in doubt, consult with a solicitor or other person of equal legal standing.

Please click the star if I have helped!!

Not true if you have a legal right to own that software.

The issue comes because P2P results in you SHARING the software whilst downloading, and that is illegal.

Please note that any posts made by myself are for information only and should not and must not be taken as correct or factual. If in doubt, consult with a solicitor or other person of equal legal standing.

Then your solicitor is talking rot I'm afraid.

Most software manufacturers will replace MEDIA at a small admin cost. It is the LICENCES that would not be replaced.

I will use microsoft as an example as much as would hate to, but they replace faulty or damaged media, if the damaged media is returned to them and the required fee enclosed. The fee is non profit as it covers replacement of the media and postage and packaging. I have sent 3 xbox 360 game discs back to microsoft for replacement, and have returned 2 to electronic arts, no problems with either companies both exchanged media without quibble.

Like I said, I got my advise from a solicitor, and that was the exact analogy he gave me. Try phoning a software maunfacturer and telling them you have broken your CD and you want a replacement, they will not give it to you!

I think you will find the vast majority (all?) will. You can often go to their site and provide your license number and they will allow you to download a copy and/or even download an updated version of the software.

thats not true - most still do...

• 1 year later...