• Tweets

• Well tbh that’s good news and something she can find out for herself.  She has no intention if peace.  I’m going to ask the thread stays open a little longer.   It seems she had not learned that I am just not the one!!!!  plus I have received new medical info from my vet today.   To remain within agreement, I need to generally ask for advice re:  If new medical information for the pup became apparent now- post agreement signing, that added proof a second genetic disease (tested for in those initial tests in the first case but relayed incorrectly to me then ), does it give me grounds for asking a court to unseal the deed so I can pursue this new info….. if she persists in being a pain ? If generally speaking, a first case was a cardiac issue that can be argued as both genetic and congenital until a genetic test is done and then a second absolute genetic only disease was then discovered, is that deemed a new case or grounds for unsealing? Make sense ?   This disease is only ever genetic!!!!  Rather more damning and indisputable proof of genetic disease breeding with no screening yk prevent.   The vet report showing this was uploaded in the original N1 pack.  Somehow rekeyed as normal when I was called with the results.  A vet visit today shows they were not normal and every symptom he has had reported in all reports uploaded from day one are related to the disease. 
    • Hi Roberto, Read some of the other threads here about S Sixes - they all follow the same routine of threats, threats, then nothing. When you do this, you'll see how many have been in exactly the same situation as you are. Keep us updated as necessary .............
    • Nationwide's takeover of Virgin Money is hitting the headlines as thousands of customers protest that they will not get a vote on whether it should happen.View the full article
    • unrelated to the agreement then, could have come from Lowells filing cabinet (who lowells - they dont do that - oh yes they do!! just look at a few lowell paypal EU court claim threads) no name and address for time of take out either which they MUST contain. just like the rest of the agreement then..utter bogroll that proves nothing toward you ... slippery lowells as usual it's only a case management discussion on 26 April 2024 at 10:00am by WebEx. thats good simply refer to the responses you made on your 4a form response only. pleanty of SPC thread here to read before the 26th i suggest you read at least one a day. dx  
    • I think you have the supremacy of contract as it allows you to park in designated areas. I would argue that there being parking enforcement there clearly means its to be used as parking and as such you can use it under your lease. Only need to worry if they ever follow through with a letter of claim and a claimform though
  • Recommended Topics

• Our picks

• If you are buying a used car – you need to read this survival guide.
      • 1 reply
    • Hello,

On 15/1/24 booked appointment with Big Motoring World (BMW) to view a mini on 17/1/24 at 8pm at their Enfield dealership.  

Car was dirty and test drive was two circuits of roundabout on entry to the showroom.  Was p/x my car and rushed by sales exec and a manager into buying the mini and a 3yr warranty that night, sale all wrapped up by 10pm.  They strongly advised me taking warranty out on car that age (2017) and confirmed it was honoured at over 500 UK registered garages.

The next day, 18/1/24 noticed amber engine warning light on dashboard , immediately phoned BMW aftercare team to ask for it to be investigated asap at nearest garage to me. After 15 mins on hold was told only their 5 service centres across the UK can deal with car issues with earliest date for inspection in March ! Said I’m not happy with that given what sales team advised or driving car. Told an amber warning light only advisory so to drive with caution and call back when light goes red.

I’m not happy to do this, drive the car or with the after care experience (a sign of further stresses to come) so want a refund and to return the car asap.

Please can you advise what I need to do today to get this done. 

Many thanks 
      • 81 replies
    • Housing Association property flooding. https://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/topic/438641-housing-association-property-flooding/&do=findComment&comment=5124299
      • 161 replies
    • We have finally managed to obtain the transcript of this case.

The judge's reasoning is very useful and will certainly be helpful in any other cases relating to third-party rights where the customer has contracted with the courier company by using a broker.
      This is generally speaking the problem with using PackLink who are domiciled in Spain and very conveniently out of reach of the British justice system.

Frankly I don't think that is any accident.

One of the points that the judge made was that the customers contract with the broker specifically refers to the courier – and it is clear that the courier knows that they are acting for a third party. There is no need to name the third party. They just have to be recognisably part of a class of person – such as a sender or a recipient of the parcel.

Please note that a recent case against UPS failed on exactly the same issue with the judge held that the Contracts (Rights of Third Parties) Act 1999 did not apply.

We will be getting that transcript very soon. We will look at it and we will understand how the judge made such catastrophic mistakes. It was a very poor judgement.
      We will be recommending that people do include this adverse judgement in their bundle so that when they go to county court the judge will see both sides and see the arguments against this adverse judgement.
      Also, we will be to demonstrate to the judge that we are fair-minded and that we don't mind bringing everything to the attention of the judge even if it is against our own interests.
      This is good ethical practice.

It would be very nice if the parcel delivery companies – including EVRi – practised this kind of thing as well.

OT APPROVED, 365MC637, FAROOQ, EVRi, 12.07.23 (BRENT) - J v4.pdf
  • Recommended Topics

Downloading and possible breach of copyright?

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 5069 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Honey, *ex-mod's hat on*, can you edit your post to add a link (if acceptable)to your source or state the source of the article? Talk of copyright theft... :razz:

PS: expect your post to get CAGbotted, there's a lot of undesirable links there... ;-)

*update*

Orange have replied stating that they HAVE been submitted with a high court justice order to hand over IP addresses

i have asked them whether they did charge Davenport Lyons admin fees to do so and why they didnt inform me about the handing over of data

(Davenport are trying to charge me for those admin fees)

i'm awaiting a reply

i will be seeking legal advice shortly to see what happens

regards

crazybadgers

Why haven’t orange notified me in person or by letter regarding my contact details being passed on?

Crazybadger

This is something Im also very concerned about!

Anti-Piracy Company Breaches Privacy, Ordered to Shut Down | TorrentFreak

This is the Logistep company I referred to and indeed this article is something of interest! Though Davenport Lyons do not explain how they acquired their evidence or who did, all signs point towards Logistep and I will write to Davenport Lyons requesting this information..

Though Davenport Lyons do not explain how they acquired their evidence or who did, all signs point towards Logistep and I will write to Davenport Lyons requesting this information..

In the letter I received it does state at the bottom of the opening page that the data was collected by their "forensic IT experts, Logistep", some experts since I checked my IP address using an online application and the addresses don't even match!!!

Also, my ISP is Orange Home UK and they have listed my provider as Energis, I don't suppose anyone out there whether this information is correct and Orange just act as an intermediary or whether they have my details totally wrong?.

If I were subject to such a legal action, as someone with a qualification on this, I might consider seeking disclosure of the technology they are using to "gather" your IP address.

it is quite possible this technology is itself unlawful, if it gains unauthorised access to data, under the computer misuse act 1990.

I would also suggest that the person who rents the internet connection and the person who downloaded this software are not necessarily the same person. It would, in any event, be for them to prove who actually downloaded it.

Maybe the computer had been made available to many members of your family, and friends?

i will be off site for the next month or so. if you have any problems, feel free to report the post so a moderator can help you.

I am not a qualified or practicing lawyer.

I am on a wireless network so it's entirely plausible that someone could have hacked my connection from anywhere within a 25-30 metre radius of my router.

Also from what I'm lead to believe, Logistep, the company responsible for the actual gathering and selling off of other peoples IP addresses are a swiss company and have indeed been ordered to cease their activities as it breaches data protection laws in more than one country.

The point about disclosure of the technology and Logistep's unlawful processes should be enough, in writing, to deter Davenport Lyons from continuing their action no?

Lyons will have sent hundreds of these letters out and it will be the unlucky folk who are scared into paying up right away that they're targeting. With any reasonable retaliation i'm sure they'll desist. Im sure the last thing they want is to actually end up in court as we're all aware; their evidence and protocol is shabby to say the least

Morning all,

I’ve contacted a solicitor who deals with computer and IT law, they will be contacting me shortly to arrange a meeting I will try to get a better understanding of what’s going on, but I will only be able to speak with them if they offer an free interview. (I really can’t afford their legal fees at the mo).

Still it may prove t be useful

In the mean time I’m considering writing a letter back to Davenport similar to a few others; I don’t want it to drag on too long while I wait.

Has anyone got any tips as to what is the best terminology or wording to put in this letter?

I assume asking for more detailed information puts them off?

Anything else they would help to make them realise I wont be bullied?

Regards

Crazybadger

I hope the solicitors can offer you some helpful advice, I think I'm going to try and seek the same help.

But yea, I can share with you the way I shall write my letter but you probably already the right idea..

- Ask for for lots more information - precise details and even more proof, pinpointing a PC on your network or something.

- Make your tone authoritative and confident that your willing to fight but without being rude and ****ing them off I guess

- Throw some of the the terminology they used back at them

- Perhaps, looks some stuff up if you need, and use some computing terms to argue against the claims and make their evidence unsupportive.

A friend of mine works in law, albeit in a different area, and he is also helping me piece together a letter so I will relay anything interesting he says

Good luck!

Hi all

I was just wondering if anyone had any more legal information regarding this issue as I'm about to draw up a letter of reply to Davenport Lyons and I'd like to hit them with as much as possible.

would it be a good idea to S.A.R. them to see what information they hold on you, and try to focus on information on how your IP address was collected, as this seems to be the key as Logistep seem to have some involvement and have been asked to stop collecting information on IP addresses. This information could then be included in a letter telling Davenport Lyons to get stuffed.

bit more info I've found on the issue. (Interesting read... not really relevant to UK law tho)

German court throws out P2P lawsuit

Techdirt: UK Law Firm Tries Suing As Many People As Possible For File Sharing

If in doubt, contact a qualified insured legal professional (or my wife... she knows EVERYTHING)

Or send a cheque or postal order payable to Reclaim the Right Ltd.

to

923 Finchley Road London NW11 7PE

Click here if you fancy an email address that shows you mean business! (only £6 and that will really help CAG)

If you can't donate, please use the Internet Search boxes on the CAG pages - these will generate a small but regular income for the site

Please also consider using the

C.A.G. Toolbar

Guest forgottenone

Just a tip regarding Orange and their Livebox as someone has brought up wireless broadband theft. If you have it on a wired connection, turn off the wireless facility and liveprinter in the LIVEBOX/INVENTEL configuration page ... even though it is wired to your PC/LAN etc it still can be hijacked regardless as when set to 'wireless' connection ... anyone can send/receive within range of the signal/house/flat. If you already know about this then ignore. Just thought to mention it because sometimes people don't realize if on a wired connection wireless signals still get broadcast.

• 3 weeks later...

Usually the downloading of anything even with owning of an original is breaking copyright. But you are allowed to keep the file file for 24 hours.

Problem with P2P is you share the file. Also game companies hinder you from copying the disc you own (Perfectly legal) but putting security software on them.

Copying your 'own' games is still tricky legally, since although it is legal to make a backup copy it is ILLEGAL to circumvent any protection schemes put in place by the manufacturer in order to do it - confused? You will be!!!

Putting the systems in place to stop people making a backup is also skirting the law, as people have the right to back things up.... it is a minefield!

If in doubt, contact a qualified insured legal professional (or my wife... she knows EVERYTHING)

to

Click here if you fancy an email address that shows you mean business! (only £6 and that will really help CAG)

If you can't donate, please use the Internet Search boxes on the CAG pages - these will generate a small but regular income for the site

C.A.G. Toolbar

• 3 weeks later...

You have no right - under UK law - to make a backup copy. It is an urban myth that you do, probably stems from the fact that during the late 70's and early 80's most software installation instructions advised the user to make a backup copy [or two] and install from that, putting the original media in a safe location. It was also widely considered at the time to be best practice, never to install from original media.

This was an era when disk drives were not wholly reliable, and head crashed were quite common. The read/write head would literally hit the disk, gouging scratches into the surface.

But to re-iterate the point, you have no legal right to make a backup copy unless the terms of the software provide for it. Otherwise, it is "unlawful".

The Copyright (Computer Programs) Regulations 1992

50A.—(1) It is not an infringement of copyright for a lawful user of a copy of a computer program to make any back up copy of it which it is necessary for him to have for the purposes of his lawful use.

(2) For the purposes of this section and sections 50B and 50C a person is a lawful user of a computer program if (whether under a licence to do any acts restricted by the copyright in the program or otherwise), he has a right to use the program.

(3) Where an act is permitted under this section, it is irrelevant whether or not there exists any term or condition in an agreement which purports to prohibit or restrict the act (such terms being, by virtue of section 296A, void).

It is your lawful right to create a backup providing you have the legal right to use the software.

to

C.A.G. Toolbar

Sorry Woad, but you are wrong. To quote the Copyright, Designs & Patents Act 1988:

"Back up copies.

50A.—(1) It is not an infringement of copyright for a lawful user of a copy of a computer program to make any back up copy of it which it is necessary for him to have for the purposes of his lawful use.

(2) For the purposes of this section and sections 50B and 50C a person is a lawful user of a computer program if (whether under a licence to do any acts restricted by the copyright in the program or otherwise), he has a right to use the program.

(3) Where an act is permitted under this section, it is irrelevant whether or not there exists any term or condition in an agreement which purports to prohibit or restrict the act (such terms being, by virtue of section 296A, void)."

SNA... damnit... I never win at that game!

to

C.A.G. Toolbar

Media in most instances of infingement is irrelevant, it is the license which is usually purchased. You need to check the EULA or license agreement that came with the application/game.

It is my understanding that to prove their case the Agents acting for the copyright holders (Atari) would have to make a physical connection to your machine to confirm that the material is made available for sharing. Not just by the collection of IP addresses in the swarm or distributed network.

It also worth looking at the detailed studies done into p2p monitoring and copyright infingment. Particularly the parts about poor detection and false positives. Also look at the cases where they get is very wrong quite a few have been reported in last few months.

• Haha 1

Actually it has been seen that the companies doing the sueing for copyright infringement arnt actually checking the game was actually downloaded/completed.

They only see a connection from a computer to a server they set up hosting the file on a p2p network and get the user info from that IP. Also that still doesnt prove that the user of that IP actually donwloaded the file to their own computer. But cliaming your wifi was broken into is still a little sketchy.