• Tweets

• DN is ok DCA NOA is ok, though not one from Newday saying they've sold it. agreement states esigned on a sunday at 11am?? really??  but no typed names or tick box nor any IP address used. if the date is correct then poss ok, it that your correct address for that time of take out? but if not, then that could simply be a copy of someone elses they've used with you details copy'n'pasted over theirs. the agreement details separate T&C's in at least 8.4. a full set of T&C containing your correct address for the time MUST be included. failure renders the agreement unenforceable... have you the T&C's too? dx
    • Npower and Scottish Power and others have always had regulations that require them to treat customers fairly - the threads here and my experiences demonstrate that those regs are little more than useless.   Even Octopus recently spent month after month saying they needed to increase my monthly payments despite my credit balance slowly going up TWICE I had to reset it online back to prior payment as they unilaterally increased it unilaterally. Raised formal complaint and they than said i was paying too much and reduced the payment, again without my agreement, although that time at least they told me they were doing it.   .. and Octopus has been one of the better ones.    
    • Thank you. You left all your personal details showing on the invoice, but I've removed them. From Googling it seems the free parking is limited to one hour.  You stayed two.  There is no point appealing, you did overstay.  That's apart from the fact the private parking companies are just interested in £££££ and never accept appeals. We have other Iceland cases, Iceland as a company refuse to have these invoices cancelled. So it's up to you. Pay £51 and the matter goes away. Or refuse to pay.  Horizon very rarely do court.  We would support you all the way. 
    • Fraudsters copy the details of firms we authorise to try and convince people that their firm is genuine. Find out why you shouldn’t deal with this clone firm.View the full article
  • Recommended Topics

• Our picks

• If you are buying a used car – you need to read this survival guide.
      • 1 reply
    • Hello,

On 15/1/24 booked appointment with Big Motoring World (BMW) to view a mini on 17/1/24 at 8pm at their Enfield dealership.  

Car was dirty and test drive was two circuits of roundabout on entry to the showroom.  Was p/x my car and rushed by sales exec and a manager into buying the mini and a 3yr warranty that night, sale all wrapped up by 10pm.  They strongly advised me taking warranty out on car that age (2017) and confirmed it was honoured at over 500 UK registered garages.

The next day, 18/1/24 noticed amber engine warning light on dashboard , immediately phoned BMW aftercare team to ask for it to be investigated asap at nearest garage to me. After 15 mins on hold was told only their 5 service centres across the UK can deal with car issues with earliest date for inspection in March ! Said I’m not happy with that given what sales team advised or driving car. Told an amber warning light only advisory so to drive with caution and call back when light goes red.

I’m not happy to do this, drive the car or with the after care experience (a sign of further stresses to come) so want a refund and to return the car asap.

Please can you advise what I need to do today to get this done. 

Many thanks 
      • 81 replies
    • Housing Association property flooding. https://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/topic/438641-housing-association-property-flooding/&do=findComment&comment=5124299
      • 161 replies
    • We have finally managed to obtain the transcript of this case.

The judge's reasoning is very useful and will certainly be helpful in any other cases relating to third-party rights where the customer has contracted with the courier company by using a broker.
      This is generally speaking the problem with using PackLink who are domiciled in Spain and very conveniently out of reach of the British justice system.

Frankly I don't think that is any accident.

One of the points that the judge made was that the customers contract with the broker specifically refers to the courier – and it is clear that the courier knows that they are acting for a third party. There is no need to name the third party. They just have to be recognisably part of a class of person – such as a sender or a recipient of the parcel.

Please note that a recent case against UPS failed on exactly the same issue with the judge held that the Contracts (Rights of Third Parties) Act 1999 did not apply.

We will be getting that transcript very soon. We will look at it and we will understand how the judge made such catastrophic mistakes. It was a very poor judgement.
      We will be recommending that people do include this adverse judgement in their bundle so that when they go to county court the judge will see both sides and see the arguments against this adverse judgement.
      Also, we will be to demonstrate to the judge that we are fair-minded and that we don't mind bringing everything to the attention of the judge even if it is against our own interests.
      This is good ethical practice.

It would be very nice if the parcel delivery companies – including EVRi – practised this kind of thing as well.

OT APPROVED, 365MC637, FAROOQ, EVRi, 12.07.23 (BRENT) - J v4.pdf
  • Recommended Topics

Downloading and possible breach of copyright?

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 5065 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hi

Not sure if this is the correct place for this question but I can't find a more suitable topic so here goes. Today I received a letter from a solicitor representing Atari regarding the downloading of a game in August 2007, the copyright for which belongs to them. I downloaded the file to obtain a working copy of the game which I had purchased prior downloading and only did so because the original disc had become damaged by myself when it fell from a shelf and bounced from it's case and would no longer install. I downloaded the file using a person to person client which I was unaware made the segments of the file that had downloaded to my computer available to other users to download from me. My question is does this still constitute a breach of copyright as I was lead to understand that I was within my rights to download a replacement as I already owned a copy of the original, the only grey area I can see is that I have inadvertently made the file available for others to download. Anyone's help with this would be greatly received as they have offered to accept a one off payment of £530 to lay the matter to rest and if I have no hope of success I would rather avoid the stress of the court process.

I should also add that upon completion of the download, I burnt the file to a disc and deleted it from the hard drive of my computer

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Davenport Lyons? They have just had their first victory in court, albeit judgement by default since none of the defendants turned up in court:

Court victory for computer games firm in crackdown on illegal downloads; LEGAL ANALYSIS - July 1, 2008 Tuesday - ContentAgenda.com

If you still have the original game, I'd say you have a good chance of success. If you google them there are plenty of instances where people have contested their allegations and DL have eventually gone silent. It appears that sufficient number of people are frightened into paying up, that if you fight them they give up and go after easier prey. A bit like Private Parking Companies

Yes it is Davenport Lyons, from the paperwork they've sent me it appears that the issue they have is the fact that the process of downloading using this client allows others to download the parts of the incomplete file that you have on your computer from you, a fact that I was unaware of.

It's not just Orange UK though, there's a list of ISP's in the paperwork as follows.

BE UN Limited

British Telecommunications PLC

Cable Internet Limited

Easynet LTD

Eurisp LTD

KCom Group PLC

Opal Telecom Limited

Orange Home UK PLC

Pipex Internet Limited

Plusnet PLC

Supanet Limited

Thus PLC

Tiscali Uk Limited

Virgin Media Limited

I believe that downloading is not the problem as you are not offering it for sale or broadcast etc.

It would only be available to others if you left it in the P2P program and that program was running on you computer and the computer connected to the internet.

I would want proof that they have lost the money they are claiming because it was copied from 'you personally'. These are figures plucked out of the air and they are trying to perpetuate profits on something that has very few sales any longer.

They have jumped on the bandwagon started by the music industry who are trying to make us believe that downloading is the reason they don't sell as many as they used to and not the fault of the crap on the cd. It's just another money making [problem].

I would definately defend and put them to strict proof that they have lost sales because of you.

I have spoken to CBA who are looking into it, the chap I spoke to wasn’t too computer illiterate, so i did my best to explain all I could about p2p and the circumstances.

The question is do they have a right to demand money off me without any warning?

I have never profited or had the intention to make money.

The situation is that they have used a company in Switzerland to track IP addresses.

Then they have obtained a letter from the high court justice to force ISP to hand over details of those IP addresses on the dates they have tracked.

The ISP has handed over that info, following that Davenport Lyons have sent letters threatening court proceedings or an alternative of a written agreement stating that

1. Never to download, share distribute in the future

2. To delete any digital or hard copy files

3. to Davenport hundreds of pounds in damages

If this payment isn’t made in 28 days then they will continue with court proceedings stressing that this will run into thousands of pounds!

Also they only give the option of payment in one lump sum, (which I now lawfully they cant do, if you cant physically pay more then say £10 per month then they have to except that offer)

They have sent a copy of the high court justice agreement to me requesting the ISP (almost all of them) hand over address details

I need to know where I stand legally and what I should say in response to them.

I have a wireless modem the orange livebox, would this have any affect on the situation?

The date of the downloading was in Dec 2007, could I expect more of the same?

I’m worried as I don’t have a great understanding on law or how serious this is or whether Davenport Lyons are just trying to bully people out of money.

Do I deny all knowledge and demand detailed evidence?

Note*

Just to inform you all will writing this I have spoken again with CBA who have told me to speak with consumer direct and trading standards

I will let you know how i get on

I was lead to understand that I was within my rights to download a replacement as I already owned a copy of the original,

What lead to your understanding of this ?

Do you have an invoice or receipt with the date you purchased the game ?

Just to update you the more I look into this the more it seems a [problem] to scare people into giving money away or face legal proceedings.

I’m checking with my ISP if they have received a court order and if that turns out to be false then I will ignore it completely

I will however get a an hours free consultation from a solicitor

In a court of law they will have to prove that they have evidence that it was you (personally) who downloaded and shared information.

So far as far as I can see this would be impossible as no internet connection is completely safe so impossible to prove unless you have a static IP address.

Also they would have to seize your hard drives for evidence in a court of law and this would be impossible, only people like Trading standards can do that, and that would be under a criminal conviction not a civil dispute.

Still waiting to hear from my ISP and will be speaking with a solicitor soon!

So far as far as I can see this would be impossible as no internet connection is completely safe so impossible to prove unless you have a static IP address.

And even that is not proof. The op is using a wireless modem, so it wasn't him, it was someone across the road sitting in their car with a laptop.

It's good that someone is taking legal advise with this as I have always maintained that it is profiteering and nothing to do with loss of earnings.

Can they prove that they have lost earnings by it - no

Can they prove that anyone else downloaded from you - no

These are just arbitrary figures plucked out of the air.

Because figures of $20,000 have been bandied around the states, they probably think the £600 will make

people think they have got away lightly and pay.

Edited by Conniff

Aside from the other issues, does owning an original copy of the game not lawfully give you the right to download or copy another disc if the original develops a fault?. And surely you would have to make the complete game in it's entirety available to download from yourself to quantify distributing the game to others?. My issue is that the entire game would never have been available to any individual person for complete download from me, therefore only portions of data would have been, that data being exactly the same programming code as used in countless other programs lawfully available for free download on the internet.

Edited by Carlp

Almost on topic here (sorry if it's straying 2 far :p)I remember a friend of mine had a similar issue, and it turned out someone had connected using his wireless network. When he explained this there were no further actions.

re "does owning an original copy of the game not lawfully give you the right to download or copy another disc if the original develops a fault?"

I'd feel a whole lot better for you if someone had extensive knowledge of copyright law to answer that one, as I feel that if the answer is that you are within your rights, then I don't feel this would be pushed in the courts.

If in doubt, contact a qualified insured legal professional (or my wife... she knows EVERYTHING)

Or send a cheque or postal order payable to Reclaim the Right Ltd.

to

923 Finchley Road London NW11 7PE

Click here if you fancy an email address that shows you mean business! (only £6 and that will really help CAG)

If you can't donate, please use the Internet Search boxes on the CAG pages - these will generate a small but regular income for the site

Please also consider using the

C.A.G. Toolbar

I like other people seem to get the impression that this "one off payment" offered is given with the intent of scaremongering people into parting with their money to draw the matter to a conclusion.

What grieves me is that they expect me to pay this amount due to the laws regarding copyright for obtaining a working copy of software the use of which I had already paid for.

yes and no... the thing they are complaining about is the fact that you uploaded, not downloaded.

However if downloading as a backup is legal, then you cannot know if other people downloading are not doing so for this purpose. Especially as that is the reason you were downloading it!

Like I said, I'd feel a whole lot more confident if it can be confirmed that downloading a backup is legal.

• Haha 1

If in doubt, contact a qualified insured legal professional (or my wife... she knows EVERYTHING)

to

Click here if you fancy an email address that shows you mean business! (only £6 and that will really help CAG)

If you can't donate, please use the Internet Search boxes on the CAG pages - these will generate a small but regular income for the site

C.A.G. Toolbar

I have received, what sounds like, the exact same letter from Davenport Lyons regarding copyright claims from Atari...

They claim that all or part of the work has been made available from two IP addresses with time stamps of a months a difference; only one statement report is supplied for just one of the IP addresses however. Was catching me once not enough? I don't fully understand that...

Who are Cable and Wireless Telecommunication Services GmbH? and where do they fit into this? Im quite confused.

In the "Computer Analysts" (Evidence) report it goes on to explain my IP address was obtained using sophisticated monitoring software. It also explains the trace (Hit) was made from Switzerland. If anyone has read into this a little bit like I have then I can assume they will agree that this points to Logistep...I have briefly looked into Logistep and right away I am just not happy with them and what has been said about them. It sounds so very, very grey.

I am quite confused as to what make of this too...

Not sure if it helps much, but it is interesting tho.

Section 50(A) of the Copyright, Designs and Patents Act 1988:-

It is not an infringement of copyright for a lawful user of a copy of a computer program to make any back up copy of it which it is necessary for him to have for the purposes of his lawful use.

As you said daKlone the P2P uploading aspect of this is the problem.

to

C.A.G. Toolbar

I’m still trying to speak with orange's legal department.

After which I will try to get that hour’s free consultation from a law firm

Just to let anyone know if you do receive these letters it is better to consult someone on a legal basis just be sure.

Remember! You are dealing with what can only be considered a shady law firm and there’s nothing worse then that!

Speak with citizen’s advice bureau, (check website for local numbers)

They might be hard to get hold of and will probably advise you to speak with consumer direct 08454 040 506

Explain the situation and they will contact Trading standards swell

Then speak with your ISP legal department to gather whether they have given your details over to Davenport Lyons

finally go on line and check 'community legal services' its a website that will give you local solicitors in your area, a lot of them will give you a hours free consultation, this should be enough for you to find out where you stand

Also if you really do think you need further legal aid but can’t afford it, the Citizens advice bureau has links on their website for you to apply for free legal aid, (not everyone is entitled to it)

I will keep you posted on any developments

Please remember I’m in the same boat, don’t just assume anything find out where you stand in all this

If people on here have successfully ignored Davenports Threats then that’s great but they seem to be people who where threatened last year. Some on here like I have only just been threatened and are unsure if there have been any new developments in the law

A few thoughts though............

Don’t you think it’s strange that all of these incidents are to do with letters sent from the same law firm?

Why aren’t there any reports of people receiving letters from other law firms who represent other computer developers?

Why haven’t orange notified me in person or by letter regarding my contact details being passed on?

It’s always Davenport Lyons!

I still smell a rat!

Regards

Crazybadger

Another thought is that if there is no evidence that Davenport gained lawful access to your contact details, you can make a complaint on the Information Commissioners Office website.

*update*

Orange’s legal department are looking into it as we speak

i will do my best

The info online at the moment from people with previous accounts of Davenport Lyons is a bit inconclusive.

i will however do my upmost to put people at ease if i can ( and just as importantly myself)

i must admit that since having researched this i am a lot more less worried of going to court then i was when i first opened the letters two days ago!

Crazybadger