• Tweets

• Yep, true to form, they are happy to just save a couple of quid... They invariably lose in court, so to them, that's a win. 😅
    • Your concern regarding the 14 days delivery is a common one. Not been on the forum that long, but I don't think the following thought has ever been challenged. My view is that they should have proof of when it was posted, not when they "issued", or printed it. Of course, they would never show any proof of postage, unless it went to court. Private parking companies are simply after money, and will just keep sending ever more threatening letters to intimidate you into paying up. It's not been mentioned yet, but DO NOT APPEAL! You could inadvertently give up useful legal protection and they will refuse any appeal, because they're just after the cash...  
    • The sign says "Parking conditions apply 24/7". Mind you, that's after a huge wall of text. The whole thing is massively confusing.  Goodness knows what you're meant to do if you spend only a fiver in Iceland or you stay a few minutes over the hour there.
    • Hi and thanks It looks like they ticked all the boxes to me but I'll try and upload the notice. I was wondering if a witness to late delivery might be considered proof - I'm assuming they posted it as normal but Royal Mail stuffed up delivery. If not then they're really saying it just has to be posted within 12 days of the incident, regardless of when it is received. Annoying! edit ok thanks Honeybee here's my 2nd (actually 3rd) attempt at anonymising, copying and uploading the notice! Sorry about the state of it - I sat on it while distracted by my dog 🙃 pcn front.pdf pcn back page.pdf
    • ROFL - dont get upset just because someone (quite a lot of someones) dont want smart meters - well unless you get paid for it .. in which case ...   I assume you haven't been with Octopus long enough to be on one of the very long fixed price tariffs they offered before the prices went bonkers .. and that you dont use your electricity in the evening/lunch time if you think the 'agile type tariffs are good value .. let alone worth installing a smart meter for - high price a good disincentive for an evening cuppa eh? Let alone all your computer/tv etc time in the peak price evening or lunch time. - and boy do those peak prices instantly hammer your bill when those Russian and middle eastern issues kick off.   I would only have considered a smart meter if solar panels had been an option for me - but roof is oriented completely the wrong way. Oh - and My opinion hasn't changed since the smart meter trials 40 years ago, because neither have the issues (well not enough) but I'm happy for you. Be happy for me.
  • Recommended Topics

• Our picks

• If you are buying a used car – you need to read this survival guide.
      • 1 reply
    • Hello,

On 15/1/24 booked appointment with Big Motoring World (BMW) to view a mini on 17/1/24 at 8pm at their Enfield dealership.  

Car was dirty and test drive was two circuits of roundabout on entry to the showroom.  Was p/x my car and rushed by sales exec and a manager into buying the mini and a 3yr warranty that night, sale all wrapped up by 10pm.  They strongly advised me taking warranty out on car that age (2017) and confirmed it was honoured at over 500 UK registered garages.

The next day, 18/1/24 noticed amber engine warning light on dashboard , immediately phoned BMW aftercare team to ask for it to be investigated asap at nearest garage to me. After 15 mins on hold was told only their 5 service centres across the UK can deal with car issues with earliest date for inspection in March ! Said I’m not happy with that given what sales team advised or driving car. Told an amber warning light only advisory so to drive with caution and call back when light goes red.

I’m not happy to do this, drive the car or with the after care experience (a sign of further stresses to come) so want a refund and to return the car asap.

Please can you advise what I need to do today to get this done. 

Many thanks 
      • 81 replies
    • Housing Association property flooding. https://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/topic/438641-housing-association-property-flooding/&do=findComment&comment=5124299
      • 161 replies
    • We have finally managed to obtain the transcript of this case.

The judge's reasoning is very useful and will certainly be helpful in any other cases relating to third-party rights where the customer has contracted with the courier company by using a broker.
      This is generally speaking the problem with using PackLink who are domiciled in Spain and very conveniently out of reach of the British justice system.

Frankly I don't think that is any accident.

One of the points that the judge made was that the customers contract with the broker specifically refers to the courier – and it is clear that the courier knows that they are acting for a third party. There is no need to name the third party. They just have to be recognisably part of a class of person – such as a sender or a recipient of the parcel.

Please note that a recent case against UPS failed on exactly the same issue with the judge held that the Contracts (Rights of Third Parties) Act 1999 did not apply.

We will be getting that transcript very soon. We will look at it and we will understand how the judge made such catastrophic mistakes. It was a very poor judgement.
      We will be recommending that people do include this adverse judgement in their bundle so that when they go to county court the judge will see both sides and see the arguments against this adverse judgement.
      Also, we will be to demonstrate to the judge that we are fair-minded and that we don't mind bringing everything to the attention of the judge even if it is against our own interests.
      This is good ethical practice.

It would be very nice if the parcel delivery companies – including EVRi – practised this kind of thing as well.

OT APPROVED, 365MC637, FAROOQ, EVRi, 12.07.23 (BRENT) - J v4.pdf
  • Recommended Topics

Lowell Portfolio I

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 5727 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

I have received a letter from Lowell Portfolio I saying they have bought a debt of mine from Capital One of just short of £700. I havent had a Capital One card or heard from capital one since I was about 19-20. I am now 26 and so maybe the 6 years is up. I called them because I was shocked that I owed this money. They offered me a 25% discount as long as I cleared it that day. So they wanted £500. Needless to say I said 'Not A Chance'. Is there any way I can find out if I still owe this money and also if this Lowell group are above board.

How would I go about sorting this out as I am looking to get a mortgage with my girlfriend soon and don't want this hanging over me as I didn't even know I owed it. I very nearly dipped into the babies savings to pay it, then I had a brainwave of checking them out first.

The letter states 'Lowell Portfolio I' but says to address communications and payments to 'Lowell Financial Ltd'.

If anybody knows the best way to start to find out about this could you please post replies with details of the order of the letters as this is the first time I have been in this position so haven't got a clue what to do.

Thanks

Neil

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Get free stuff just by having good friends.

Firstly, it would seem that the best advice is NOT to talk to them on the phone, ever....

Then as for the debt itself, there are 2 ways you can go. Firstly if you're sure that the debt is over 6 years old, you can send them "letter M" from the letters library which covers a debt that is statute barred. That should send them running.

Other than that, send "letter N" from the letter library which is a request for the original CCA. They have a maximum 44 days to comply with that request failing which they commit an offence and the debt goes into dispute, and then all actions from them should cease until they can produce it, which is quite possibly never!

You need to send a £1 postal order with letter N and remember, only print you name at the end of any correspondance with them. NEVER sign anything.

Good luck and should you wish more informed advice later, just call back here and for sure, someone with far greater knowledge than me will be along to help you.:)

Edited by eastendboy
Forgot to mention. Send by recorded delivery and keep everything relating to this...

hi

lowell only seem to buy debts that they have got no chance of collecting, from anyone in the know at least.

this is the way i think it goes

lowell portfolio buy the debt then farm it out to various other lowells ie lowell 1 or is it i,lowell financial and red collections to my knowledge there may be more but they all seem to live in the same house

if you have never had a crapital one card then they are fishing so i`d send the prove it letter

a S.A.R will tell you everything that they have on you but that`ll cost a tenner personally thats the way i`d go cos my s.a.r told me they had nothing on me so i asked for a copy of my credit agreement and they backed out.wait for varification tho i`m only a relative newbie

no doubt ODC will be along shortly he or is it she has a sixth sense regarding lowell posts and knows their stuff on the lowell clan

S.C

Do you have a website? Add the following code to add a link to The Consumer Action Group:

<a href="http://www.consumeractiongroup.c o.uk"><b><font color="#FF0000" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif">The Consumer Action Group</font></b></a> - <font color="#FF9900" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif">Reclaim the Right as a consumer and reclaim your unfair bank charges! Free site with letter templates and helpful forum.</font>

IF I`VE BEEN OF HELP PLEASE TICKLE MY SCALES :D

Whilst everyone will be laughing, Lowell are a bonifide company as in the name etc, but as ODC will testify that they chase anything, the first route i would take is as recommended that the statute barred letter is sent, also if you do have to request your credit agreement Capital one havent wrote a valid one YET:lol::lol:

All comments are well meant but i am not legally qualified only CAG educated:D

In the slight chance i have been helpful please click the scales:)

Capital One do not have anything which could be classed as a properly executed CCA. They merely have application forms which do not contain all the prescribed terms. You can go the Statute Barred route but for the sake of a quid got for a CCA request in the full knowledge that the Leeds Losers will not be able to produce a valid CCA.

In my dealings with this show they informed me a payment had been made on a certain date so the account was not Statute Barred. I had proof that it would have been physically impossible for me to have made this alleged payment. As it turned out Clownells couldnt even produce a CCA although they did offer me a 60% discount:D

Hey,

Me and you seem to be in the same situation. Mine has now been passed to the 'pre-litigation department' who have wrote to me saying that will pass it to the 'litigation department' if I don't respond.

I responded to their first letter in the same way i do them all, advising them that I do not owe the debt and then invite them to prove it.

What I did was get my credit file (well worth the £2.00) and then this will show all debts associated with you that are not statue barred. It also has a lot of other useful things like address associations. (mine suggested that I lived in Derby at one point which is not true). This will also help you decide who to approach for a mortgage as it will give an indication of your credit rating.

Anyhoo, I would suggest e-mailing Lowell as you get an autoresponse which you can use in the future if they say you did not respond and tell them to 'begger off' but in a nicer way.

If they issue, then I'm sure a lot of people here will assist you. Please read my thread 'How I beat Cabot and Hodsons' if you wish to see how I dealt with a debt I did not owe which was litigated.

Welcome to the site,

David.

What about the fact that I called them. Does that make me liable for the debt??

I did have a card with Capital One many years ago but I am more or less certain that it was over 6 years ago.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

What about the fact that I called them. Does that make me liable for the debt??
Nope. Once a debt is statute barred it can not be unstatute barred. Anyway a telephone conversation would not constitute acknowledgement. You can only acknowledge a debt by making a payment or an offer of payment in writing.

HAVE YOU BEEN TREATED UNFAIRLY BY CREDITORS OR DCA's?

BEWARE OF CLAIMS MANAGEMENT COMPANIES OFFERING TO WRITE OFF YOUR DEBTS.

Please note opinions given by rory32 are offered informally as a lay-person in good faith based on personal experience. For legal advice, you must always consult a registered and insured lawyer.

cca them it`ll cost a quid and if you are right about the dates your sailing :)

but i`d imagine they cant supply it either way they really are useless

they just rely on people who have no knowledge of their industry (tho i cringe at calling blood sucking an industry) to get their money and that isn`t you not anymore :lol:

S.C

Do you have a website? Add the following code to add a link to The Consumer Action Group:

<a href="http://www.consumeractiongroup.c o.uk"><b><font color="#FF0000" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif">The Consumer Action Group</font></b></a> - <font color="#FF9900" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif">Reclaim the Right as a consumer and reclaim your unfair bank charges! Free site with letter templates and helpful forum.</font>

They can send it to the pre litigation department, the pre statutory demand department, the pre bankruptcy division or their licensed field agents (all silly names used by these clowns) but if a debt is Statute Barred they can do sweet FA and in fact are probably committing an offence if they suggest they can take legal action and should be reported using this fantastic letter. http://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/forum/consumer-protection-unfair-trading/147893-complaint-about-being-threatened.html

Do not worry about these bullies as most of their letters are full of IFs and MAYBEs

They are actually full of Bovine Excrement

Lowell Financial, Lowell Portfolio, Red Debt, and Hamptons Legal are one and the same.

You have informed them that this debt is Statute Barred. They have chosen to ignore that and are in breach of the OFT guidelines and probably the new CPUTR Regulations 2008.

Sit tight for the moment and see if they send any more begging letters. I trust you sent you SB letter by Recorded Delivery.

I got my mum to post it recorded delivery but she has lost the ticket with the tracking number on it. Might have to post another one just to be sure. But this time I will post it myself.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Dear Lowell Portfolio aka Lowell Financial aka Redt Debt aka Hampton Legal

Ref ac no. 123456

Please be advised that I have previously informed your company that the above account is Statute Barred by virtue of S5 of The Limitation Act 1980. Your continued demand for payment is a clear breach of the OFT guidelines on the collection of Statute Barred Debt and may also be an offence under the Consumer protection from Unfair Trading Regulations 2008.

Please be advised that unless I receive written confirmation this matter is now closed I will be makining a formal complaint to but not limited to Trading Standards, the OFT and my MP.

yours etc

I received a letter today telling me the issue is now closed, this time from RED DEBT. They have my account at £0

I have just checked my Experian credit report and there is a Default on there from Lowell. Can I have this removed due to the Limitation as I thought the only people who could put the Default on was Capital One.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

• 3 weeks later...