Disabled person's railcard, some views sought? Are they much good?

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 4731 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Guest forgottenone

Thinking of investing £18 in one as it gives me a third off rail travel nationally/locally. First, though, would like to get some views on what advantages ... obviously, getting a third off isn't that bad - particularly on long distance Virgin which cost more than a week away does or an arm and more than a leg unless you hit pay dirt, get in when tickets open, get a bargain - and would like to know if anyone here has one and looking for views. Are they value for money?

I've got a family railcard and have saved loads on tickets and enty to attractions :)

Poppynurse :)

If my comments have been helpful please click my scales!!!!

Disbaled persons railcard gives the cardholder and a companion 34% off all rail fares on the National Rail network. Here's an example fare:

Newcastle to London Kings Cross is £99.30 on a standard Saver Return for one person. If two people travel on a Disabled Persons Railcard the fare will be £65.55 each. You can also get discounts on Advance Purchase fares.

Be good to yourself, when nobody else will

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Are they value for money?

Surely that's fairly subjective and depends on how much you'll use it? So all you need to do is calculate how much you will save per year, versus how much it will cost - and then you'll know whether it's worth you having one.

Opinions given herein are made informally by myself as a lay-person in good faith based on personal experience. For legal advice you must always consult a registered and insured lawyer.

Hi I have had one of these cards and depending on how mobile you are they can give you great savings.

Also have a look at Cinema Exhibitors' Association Card for a small fee you will get reduced entrance to the cinema for yourself and a carer.

Happy travelling:)

JB

Edited by jailbird
spelling

My mum had one not so long ago, she saved an absolute fortune using it as I live at the other end of the country from her so she used to use it to come visit me but she went all over the country on it so they are definitely worth having!

THE PRETENDER AGENDA - August 30,2008 - 2ND ROW!!! WOO-HOO!! :-)

THANK YOU SO MUCH FOR A FAB NITE LEE! xx

Sunderland 011008 - THE BEST BIRTHDAY PRESSIE EVER! 'Aww, it's your birthday! Happy birthday darlin!'

02 Apr 2008, 23:55

OfficialLeeRyan wrote:

i like that!! its simple and good and gets the fans involved aswell x x x

MY SUCCESSES -

1st Credit (Lloyds TSB) admitted no CCA, reply from OFT 130608, reply from FOS 040608, adjudication stage rejected but still no contact....

My mate (Littlewoods/Moorcroft)

300608 -Long running battle,threatening court, CCA letter NO 2 and harrassment letter sent - passed back to Littlewoods early July.

070808 - Passed to Debt Managers, Acct in dispute/BOG OFF letter sent 080808...

140808 - Letter from Debt Managers passing debt back to Littlewoods - RESULT! :D

Guest forgottenone

Thanks for the replies. If I apply for one it will be mostly for local travel ... which is the most I use, the most often ... and it will save me an awful lot of money I don't have ie am on IB, so it's more than just 'value for money' to me. Have been severely limited in what I can apply for re 'subsidized' public transport ... as the rules on bus travel eg you could get a free travel pass for some disabilities all changed around March/April and ... I read of one group somewhere in the south who had their cards removed due to the changes ... thus cutting them off for vital support services, eg socializing with others ... so something like this is and will be a vital thing to have. Being housebound most of the time isn't really helpful for mind, body and soul.

Thanks again for the replies and will look into getting one soon.