Employment Difficulties - Urgent Assistance Needed

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 5770 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hello

I have some serious problems at work. I will not go into the full detail (it might take over the CAG!), but in summary my employer is causing undue stress on me. I have spoken to my doctor already, but am scared to be signed off or take any medication, so I asked if there were other avenues. He said counselling.

However, it has now got to the point at which I am feeling very very ill with all of this, I really don't know which way to turn. I need to know what, if anything. I am thinking about resigning, but am worried about future prospects. I don't think I can do this type of work anymore, they have pushed me so far I hate everything related to the work.

If I get out now, can they take any action that might cause me to have to pay back large sums of money, for example holidays etc? What about the notice period? It is not like I am going to walk out to be spiteful, they have caused this in my mind. Please help

Instead of walking out, which may seem like a solution, but will only cause you more stress in the long run, why don't you go off sick? For the first week, it's self-cert anyway, and then you can go to your GP to get it prolonged if you are not ready to go back.

I know you're scared of being signed off, but being unemployed with bills to pay is far worse, so use it to take a breather and assess the situation.

If you leave with having taken more holiday than what your accrued entitlement is, then yes they will deduct it from your final salary. When you say "large sums", surely it can't be that much?

If they are causing you to leave through their actions, you may have a case for constructive unfair dismissal, but it will depend on a lot of different factors, and constructive, because of its insidious nature, is a lot harder to prove than straightforward unfair, which doesn't mean it can't be done, far from it!

I would strongly advise you to take the time off sick rather than just walk out, when you are under that much pressure, it is hard to think straight,so give yourself the time to clear the cobwebs. ;-)

hi Bookworm - thank you for the response. I did have all sorts of people saying that because the work situation has put you in this position you could take action for stress and unfair dismissal. i just dont feel i could. i mean despite the probems these are the people who i have worked with, and to be honest any compensation is not going to cover the true cost (ie having to move into a new field of work) so i see little point.

will a stress related illness look bad on my record though? and if i do go that route who will do my work today?

Update on this - a of about 15 minutes ago, my remaining respect and loyaly for my employer is gone. how do i assess if they have been neglegent, and if i have a claim.

i think now i have a career change to pay for :(

TLG - firstly a big hug as from your posts I feelthat you are really feeling pressure.

If you could just give us some details to what has been going on, by bullet point will be fine. It might also help you focus your mind. Then we can support you in any way we can.. There are some fab people on here that really know their stuff. We also are happy to give you as much emotional support as you require.

Take a breath and let us help you.

SFx

SF Thank you, and everyone here thank you for supporting me.

1. No Clear Job definition

2. Project aims / approach constantly changing

3. Unnecessary complications (key persons being available on limited basis)

4. More requirements / aims and approaches changing

5. 1 person to do work of ideally 3 (yes me)

6. Constant harrassment regarding issues which are not my responsibility, but foolishly i have tried t assist with for the benefit of the project

thats a starter!

OK - I think the basic jist of wht is happening is that basically you are being very badly managed. You probably have come across as increadibly competant and they think "No need to worry about TLG, he will get id done and probably more"

As far as sorting yourself out personally this in my opinion is much more important than any job.

how long have you been with the company?

how many days holiday have you had so far this year and when does your holiday entitlement run from?

why do you think that being signed off for a week or so would be viewed badly by the company?

have you had any other sickness this year/

Sorry for so many questions it just allows us to get a clearer picture.

SFx